8 members have voted

1. 1. Who would win?

• The White Rabbit
    • Tim the Enchanter
    • King Arthur
    • A taunting frenchman

6 minutes ago, TheCzarsHussar said:

Isn't that something ironic.

It honestly is, yet at the same time extremely fitting for a Hlaalu if you think about it. When the Imperials rolled into Morrowind, they became one of the most powerful houses by embracing foreign influence and customs. It’s fitting that the Hlaalu fella became the most successful Dunmer in Windhelm by embracing Nordic influences and customs.

The Hlaalu are like cultural sponges for their own benefit. Stick them around the Imperials and they become bootlickers because that’s what imps like. Stick them around Nords and they become hard workers with backbones, because that’s what Nords like. They’re crazy adaptable.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

It honestly is, yet at the same time extremely fitting for a Hlaalu if you think about it. When the Imperials rolled into Morrowind, they became one of the most powerful houses by embracing foreign influence and customs. It’s fitting that the Hlaalu fella became the most successful Dunmer in Windhelm by embracing Nordic influences and customs.

The Hlaalu are like cultural sponges for their own benefit. Stick them around the Imperials and they become bootlickers because that’s what imps like. Stick them around Nords and they become hard workers with backbones, because that’s what Nords like. They’re crazy adaptable.

I was thinking this but didn’t want to admit that the one Dark elf that was doing what I said they all should only does because his people are used to being bitches for other cultures XD 

"Even the hardest dick must go flaccid." -Colonelkillabee

5 minutes ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

I was thinking this but didn’t want to admit that the one Dark elf that was doing what I said they all should only does because his people are used to being bitches for other cultures XD 

I don’t really think it’s being a bitch in this case. He working hard so he can thrive on his own merits. The Imperial situation is a little different because gaining their favor so strongly essentially requires you to kiss up and legitimately act like their bitch. 

Hlaalus being like a culture sponge is only really a bad thing when the cultures they’re emulating have shitty values. His proximity to the Nords has made him a lot stronger and more respectable than his brethren who gargled imp balls. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

I don’t really think it’s being a bitch in this case. He working hard so he can thrive on his own merits. The Imperial situation is a little different because gaining their favor so strongly essentially requires you to kiss up and legitimately act like their bitch. 

Hlaalus being like a culture sponge is only really a bad thing when the cultures they’re emulating have shitty values. His proximity to the Nords has made him a lot stronger and more respectable than his brethren who gargled imp balls. 

It depends on how you lookin at it. If you mean bitch as in what values they’re emulating then sure. That would be false.

However if you mean for instance that he’s just sucking up to fit in and make his life easier, his people would probably see it that way. A suck up, kiss ass. 

And from a hlaalu I’d be inclined to suspect the latter given their track record. 

However because of how whiny their people are being I gotta respect him for doing something about his predicament. But I’d still avoid mentioning what you said normally if I were debating because it can be used against you.

Not that we are lol but that’s why I avoid mentioning it.

2 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

And there’s also the matter of him being a Dunmer in Nord lands vs Imperials being in Dunmer lands. There’s nothing inherently wrong with adopting values of a culture you move to, but selling out your home and people to gain favor with a foreign power is some weak shit. 

Who’s to say he wouldn’t again for the Nords though. His people probably see his hard work as more ass kissing for position like before with the Empire.

11 minutes ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

However if you mean for instance that he’s just sucking up to fit in and make his life easier, his people would probably see it that way. A suck up, kiss ass. 

I think most of his people would frown on him and the others going to Skyrim rather than staying to rebuild and protect their home in the first place.

He’s already crossed the lines when it comes to what Morrowind Dunmer would be cool about, so at this point his only options in Windhelm are to either become more like a Nord or to continually rely on their charity while whining about life being unfair. Neither would be popular in Morrowind.

8 minutes ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

But I’d still avoid mentioning what you said normally if I were debating because it can be used against you.

Depends on what I’m debating. It’s not really much of a strike against the Nords as the point of hard work being the way to earn their respect still applies. It only could really affect me if I was trying to defend House Hlaalu by pointing to him as an example of how they’re not all ass kissers, which I would never do becaus I don’t care enough to defend them. XD 

10 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

And there’s also the matter of him being a Dunmer in Nord lands vs Imperials being in Dunmer lands. There’s nothing inherently wrong with adopting values of a culture you move to, but selling out your home and people to gain favor with a foreign power is some weak shit. 

I don’t think it’s entirely different since they were still a province of the Empire, so it’s different but still similar circumstances. In that there’s a dominant culture that favor can be gained from.

1 minute ago, The Good Doctor said:

I think most of his people would frown on him and the others going to Skyrim rather than staying to rebuild and protect their home in the first place.

He’s already crossed the lines when it comes to what Morrowind Dunmer would be cool about, so at this point his only options in Windhelm are to either become more like a Nord or to continually rely on their charity while whining about life being unfair.

Depends on what I’m debating. It’s not really much of a strike against the Nords as the point of hard work being the way to earn their respect still applies. It only could really affect me if I was trying to defend House Hlaalu by pointing to him as an example of how they’re not all ass kissers, which I would never do becaus I don’t care enough to defend them. XD 

I mean his people in Windhelm specifically. I’d say fuck his people and what they think anyway of course but I’m looking at this from the perspective of the milk drinkers I try and persuade on tumblr. 

It applies yes but it’s undermined when you can point to their past and they have a track record of sucking up for a cultural advantage. It weakens your position when the only example of people having a stiff upper lip are the ones that historically are suck ups anyway.

10 minutes ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

Who’s to say he wouldn’t again for the Nords though.

He very well could, or the Nords could rub off on him just as the Imperials did the OG Hlaalus. And he could end up being less of a fair weather friend than his family.

No way to tell when we have so little on his character. Either way, I respect him for having the grit to “ass kiss” in a way that requires actual hard work rather than the cushier manners that his house did for the Imperials.

4 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

He very well could, or the Nords could rub off on him just as the Imperials did the OG Hlaalus. And he could end up being less of a fair weather friend than his family.

No way to tell when we have so little on his character. Either way, I respect him for having the grit to “ass kiss” in a way that requires actual hard work rather than the cushier manners that his house did for the Imperials.

I guess, but I still wouldn’t bring up the fact that that same Hlaalu could’ve once been an imperial boot licker simply adapting to his surroundings. Even if in his current situation it makes him seem more honorable.

Its like when a merc is on the losing side and kills his employers to save his own skin (like in high rock XD ) pragmatic. But how many of us would respect them knowing that? It’s why mercs get a bad rep in the first place

6 minutes ago, Centurion said:

Off-topic drama stuff XD

Hide contents

7E6D8816-24BC-4BBA-815C-0B12031FD185.thumb.png.2728b85427ddc51410d9517d04f235e0.png

:rofl: like, why the fuck do I gotta let him know I responded to someone else’s post? It’s not like I had anything to say about Dovah anyway, it was specifically in response to what “Tullius” said.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

I don’t think it’s entirely different since they were still a province of the Empire, so it’s different but still similar circumstances. In that there’s a dominant culture that favor can be gained from.

I disagree here. If I moved to Sweden, abandoned some of my more American ideals, and started learning the language, raiding France and shit, I would not be selling out anyone but myself. 

But if the U.S. joined some new Empire led by a different world power, and I actively worked to weaken our customs and get laws passed that would affect everyone in my land just so that Empire would reward me, I’d be selling out lots of people.

15 minutes ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

It applies yes but it’s undermined when you can point to their past and they have a track record of sucking up for a cultural advantage. It weakens your position when the only example of people having a stiff upper lip are the ones that historically are suck ups anyway.

I don’t see how. The point of bringing him up in the Nordic argument is that they do not stop anyone from succeeding, they just expect you to work hard like they do. Whether the person who works hard is doing it out of good work ethic or because they’re a kiss ass is irrelevant, because the work itself is what the Nords value. That’s why the Altmer lady who is a total kiss-up is also often brought up just as effectively in those debates. She’s a kiss-up, but she still had to swallow her pride and contribute to do well. Just like Hlaalu. 

8 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

I disagree here. If I moved to Sweden, abandoned some of my more American ideals, and started learning the language, raiding France and shit, I would not be selling out anyone but myself. 

But if the U.S. joined some new Empire led by a different world power, and I actively worked to weaken our customs and get laws passed that would affect everyone in my land just so that Empire would reward me, I’d be selling out lots of people.

I don’t see how. The point of bringing him up in the Nordic argument is that they do not stop anyone from succeeding, they just expect you to work hard like they do. Whether the person who works hard is doing it out of good work ethic or because they’re a kiss ass is irrelevant, because the work itself is what the Nords’ value. That’s why the Altmer lady who is a total kiss-up is also often brought up just as effectively in those debates. She’s a kiss-up, but she still had to swallow her pride and contribute to do well. Just like Hlaalu. 

You’re not looking at it from their perspective though, in the case of the Hlaalu. It may be an ad hominem, but unfortunately ad hominems are strong tools in persuasion. And even so I wouldn’t say it’s totally unfounded.

Its not just about what the Nords respect, because people look to examples to follow. It undermines the argument because people on the fence or actual milk drinkers might say the Nords don’t like hard work, they just like those that submit to them. Even Niranye is an example of that. 

Thats a thing too, where you have to do enough bootlicking and yes sirring to get by in another dominant culture because of who or what you are, and I believe Niranye said something to that effect. If someone told me for instance that I didn’t get by in America because I was too proud or some such I’d tell them to kiss my ass. There are some people in fact that say that.

In fact I don’t actually entirely believe Nords don’t stop you from succeeding. They might respect you more for working hard and not complaining but that doesn’t mean more Nords for instance will start turning up to Dunmer taverns and such. 

Xenophobia and racism is still a part of their culture. I don’t even really get on the Dunmer for mentioning that, I just get on them for crying about it instead of fighting it. Black people didn’t just sit on their asses and mope because whites didn’t like them, lol.

Well, they didn’t use to anyway. The later generations of Americans in general are soft as fuck unfortunately.