• Brund Hammer-Fang
    • Corio Adorin
    • Lorgar Grim-Maw
    • Darius Bathory
    • Maven Black-Briar
    • Ubbe the Savage
    • Theudofrid?
    • Baldur Red-Snow

And remember they have more going for them than Karthwatch. They were funded by solitude initially to stay there, and there’s not mention of much else beyond that, even tho I’m sure they had farmers and such too. They were constantly plagued by Reachmen attacks tho which is the main reason Karthwatch hadn’t grown much. Their purpose as a hold was to fight, which is how they received hold status.

"Even the hardest dick must go flaccid." -Colonelkillabee

2 minutes ago, TheCzarsHussar said:

I dont know how much local fishing alone could support the current swelling population without shipments of foodstuffs by coast or foot.

That's a lot mouths to feed unless theres whaling going on, in abundance that's support the population. 

They have an entire navy and the sea of ghosts out there is pretty much an untapped resource. Trade and fishing is more than enough to sustain them, that’s all Riften has going for it too. Trade and fishing

"Even the hardest dick must go flaccid." -Colonelkillabee

11 minutes ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

The only dept to Eastmarch is what Ulfric himself volunteered initially from his own pocket.

I can’t tell if you’re addressing me or Czar, but I never suggested that KW should be indebted to Eastmarch. It is for all intents and purposes a project conducted by Eastmarch. 

It's always nice when your writing gets reinforced by the canon after you come up with it.

8 minutes ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

And remember they have more going for them than Karthwatch. They were funded by solitude initially to stay there, and there’s not mention of much else beyond that, even tho I’m sure they had farmers and such too. They were constantly plagued by Reachmen attacks tho which is the main reason Karthwatch hadn’t grown much. Their purpose as a hold was to fight, which is how they received hold status.

Getting bankrolled by Solitude is a big deal, though. Their Thanes were capable of funding the entire Imperial half of the civil war.

I’m sure the hold has farms, though. At least when things are stable enough for them to protect them from Reachman raids.

10 minutes ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

Actually they might have farmland out there, but their main means of gold is the fish and trading via maven businesses and the markets.

For sure. It’s not the city’s major source of wealth, but the Rift’s climate would realistically make them more capable than just about any other hold of keeping themselves fed.

And it should be noted though that the Black-Briar mead is easily the largest branded company that we see in Skyrim. They’re one of the few factions who seem to have figured out how to capitalism. XD 

It's always nice when your writing gets reinforced by the canon after you come up with it.

20 minutes ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

They don’t have an entire navy of traders and raiders and fishermen to support them Tho. that’s equally a big deal.

That’s debatable. Solitude is stupid rich, and its Thanes control enterprises that seemingly bring in loads of coin constantly. From what I gather, Karthwatch is essentially a business expense. They fund it as a first line of defense to protect their interests in the north, which probably saves them money in the long run as Reachmen don’t kill their workers or interrupt trade.

Comparatively, a lot of this navy is on Skyrim’s payroll. And when they’re not bringing in coin from raids, they’re an expense, not an asset. There are soldiers to pay, mouths to feet, constant repairs and maintenance costs, etc. They can fish to help with the food situation, and trade personal belongings as they see fit, but that’s about it.

I imagine Skyrim’s fleet will have the potential to rake in a lot of wealth during the war, and Baldur will no doubt have claim to a big chunk of that, but until then I don’t see them bringing in much. There aren’t enough prospects to raid right now. And Skyrim’s last few major conflicts have been within their own borders, which is a big negative.

Perhaps if some business owning thanes were to build some warehouses in the area, it could lead to a rise in mercantilism and an increase in coastal trade for Baldur to tax.

2 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

Be thankful, at least Baldur's family home isn't a crumbling dilapidated trash heap like Dales and Mila's XD

Mila’s family home is a nice little two-story house in Whiterun. ;) 

Spoiler: It ain’t hers no more. 

1 minute ago, BigBossBalrog said:

I thought her family's from Riften? Look at how that place turned out XD

Carlotta was from Riften, but Mila had never been there before the RP. She was born and raised in Whiterun. 

3 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

Well Riften is some crumbling wood, and Whiterun smells like horses, not very good states. 

Funny, just as you brought this up, I was writing a segment in a PM about how Baldur and Rebec have given her a good home. XD 

• Like 1

Just now, BigBossBalrog said:

LAME

Don’t worry, looking at the track record for cities Baldur has presided over and cities that Boldir and Mila spend time in, I’m sure things will go horribly wrong in Kyne’s Watch eventually. :P 

@BigBossBalrog

" At the back of the main gate, and strung up with chains were the remains of vivisected prisoners, their guts carved open, and exposed for everyone to see.

"We don’t tolerate those types in Sutch." "

I like Sutch already. :lol: 

1 hour ago, The Good Doctor said:

Reveal hidden contents

" There’s a saying in these parts, “Two prisons for Sutch’s walls. A cage of iron, and a ditch.” "

I really like Sutch. XD 

That's literal by the way XD There's only two punishments in Sutch. For minor stuff, they cut one of your fingers off and lock you in a public cage for a couple of weeks. For the major stuff, they just execute you. 

Great post @BigBossBalrog !

First off, the descriptions of Sutch were very good. A little confusing at times, but that honestly served it well and I’m pretty sure it was intentional. And you did a great job of describing both the dilapidation and the hardline military culture of the place. Everything about the place feels very solemn and to-the-point. I especially liked how they repurposed ruined areas as defensive funnels, and how the main street was essentially a red herring. Even if an army could get inside the outer walls, I really got the impression that fighting through the additional layers would be a nightmare. That’s not even getting into the fortress itself, which I was also a fan of.

I‘m a fan of Senior Inspector Uzgakh. The reveal of his identity came as a genuine surprise and I thought his exchange with Dales was well-written. Especially the drastic change in his "voice". He seems every bit the competent professional without coming across as over-the-top like I would’ve expected an Orsimer Penitus Oculatus agent to be.

It was smart of Dales not to allow them to quarter her guards in the main garrison. Cool as this place is, the way they look at her is sketchy as hell. No way should she let them separate her from the bulk of her protectors. "I know the way, Captain," was a sweet line. XD 

My favorite part was definitely Dales going into the parts of the city where she lived and seeing the flashbacks of her childhood. That was very sad, but well-written. It appears even Amaund had his good moments. And Arkay once being their patron god was new to me. And the reveal of their family heraldry (very Breton, nice touch) was cool. "Reap the wind" suits their family incredibly well, all things considered.

This did make me laugh, though:

"the library wing, which was interwoven with spruce wood from Valenwood,"

Committing what amounts to religious desecration against the sacred forests of Valenwood just so a wealthy family can build their library and some fancy furniture is the most Imperial thing ever. :rofl: 

The garden part was even more sad, holy shit. :( This is probably the most sympathy I have ever felt for Dales. I found her sadness here and the reasons behind it incredibly relatable.

I’m still not sure about this ghost Ayleid lady, though. Patron Pappa Arkay would not approve. XD 

• Haha 1

The ending reminded me of that mission from Dishonored 2 where you explore the mansion in both the present where it’s abandoned and the past when it was pristine. Except much more personal.

Also, forgot to mention

Who were those weirdo cultists with the maggots? It feels like there is a lot going on out here. XD I’d say Dales shouldn’t have come, but I’m glad she did because that stuff towards the end made for some really good character exploration.