Game of Thrones Spoiler Discussion 2 Electric Boogaloo

Which Great House do you stand with?  

7 members have voted

1. 1. Which Great House do you stand with?

• Targaryen "Fire and Blood"
    • Stark "Winter is Coming"
    • Baratheon "Ours is the Fury"
    • Lannister "Hear Me Roar"
    • Tully "Family, Duty, Honor"
    • Greyjoy "We Do Not Sow"
    • Arryn "As High as Honor"
    • Tyrell "Growing Strong"
    • Martell "Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken"

XD I don't think that FromSoft is the god or rpgs like Balrog but I do think Miyasaki is smarter than that lol. The way he writes lore is so far beyond anything the showwriters have ever even contemplated. He and GRRM wouldn't need their help translating anything into a videogame.

"Even the hardest dick must go flaccid." -Colonelkillabee

1 hour ago, The Good Doctor said:

GRRM was a show writer at one point. :P 

He gets his share of the blame, because honestly I'm not sure how he makes this ending stuff good, if this is indeed his plan.

Thinking about that Barristan Selmy stuff reminds me of Conleth Hill's interview about how unhappy he was with where his character went, and how gutted he was when he found out he was being killed off, which he found out in an open table read- no phone call. He kept saying in the interivew "I wondered what I did wrong." I thought that a bit emo of him, but he had already seen D & D diminish and then kill off a great character with unbelievable pettiness. So it makes sense from that standpoint.

They didn't always do the open table reads. That's a weird way to reveal everyone's fates to them, since they're on camera for the people they work for. We know that some of the actors aren't happy with how things ended up, but in a setting like that, it's hard to imagine them being in a position to react in any way but surprise or awe. Not like Emilia Clarke is gonna call out or criticize the writers on the spot with a hundred of her co-workers and cameras surrounding them.

16 minutes ago, Celan said:

He gets his share of the blame, because honestly I'm not sure how he makes this ending stuff good, if this is indeed his plan.

I can imagine a lot of the major threads being good if there had just been some competent build-up and development to reach them. Euron can defeat dragons, Dany can burn King's Landing, Jon can kill Dany, Bran can even be king, and it could all make perfect sense. It's just that the story we got didn't set those things up properly and the characters had to be drastically changed to fit into their new roles.

I have more confidence in Martin's ability to make this work than the showrunners'. He has proven across five books that he is a competent writer who respects these characters.

• Like 1

Like everything that happened, almost, I'd have been fine with it if it had the right setup. 

Bran wouldn't be my choice ever but if book Bran actually fucking does something and shows he's actually been planning shit all along, maybe. If it's deserved.

I don't think that's gonna happen though. I don't think GRRM would give away something this big, because even with a twist and things being developed, people aren't gonna be shocked and raving about his work if yep, Bran indeed becomes King too in the books. 

Not unless he's immediately usurped or something.

GRRM also said several people will be king before the end, so it's possible he only gave away half the game.

If it happens, I want to see it as a takeover of the 3 eyed raven and Children of the Forest, with civil war looming again on the horizon. It better be dark as hell, not this sitcom shit we got in the show.

* which is possible, since it was the Children who planted the "three headed dragon" prophecy that got the entire war rolling

46 minutes ago, Celan said:

Do you really want to see Bran as king? I only want to see that if it's dark as hell, and we know the ending is supposed to be "bittersweet."

In the books, Bran's stuff is so different that I could see there being a lot more to it. He is being mentored by the Targaryen bastard, Bloodraven, who could very well be a pawn of the Children of the Forest, which is a plot thread that the show just kind of dropped (like Quaithe).

I think that if/when Bran becomes king in the books, it will have a lot more to do with the Children, and there will be some major world implications besides just having a Stark greenseer on the throne. It could be the equivalent of them ruling instead.

Viking'd. XD 

*Happens exactly as intended in the show*

*Celan turns the page*

*It says Bran looked directly at the reader, Gina, breaking the fourth wall*

And Bran, the Three Eyed Raven, King of the Six Kingdoms said, "Heard you had somethin against Souls games, so we put this message in just for you."

KEK

3 minutes ago, Celan said:

GRRM also said several people will be king before the end, so it's possible he only gave away half the game.

Assuming he's just talking about the Iron Throne and not all the claimants who never got it like Renly, or the secessionists like Robb and Balon, I'm betting it's gonna be:

Robert, Joffrey, Tommen, Aegon VI, Dany, Bran. 

I think that Cersei ended up playing the huge role that she did as Dany's final foe is because the showrunners didn't want to do the Aegon storyline and they really liked Cersei's actress. And I leave out Stannis because even though I think he'll win against the Boltons, I don't think he'll ever go south of the Neck again. As he said in Storm of Swords, his enemy is to the north.

I sorta expect Cersei to be in there between Tommen and Aegon VI. I’m not sure how it would happen but Cersei, without any of her children or Jamie, ruling for even a brief period of time seems like something that would make sense for her story.

Just now, BTC said:

I sorta expect Cersei to be in there between Tommen and Aegon VI. I’m not sure how it would happen but Cersei, without any of her children or Jamie, ruling for even a brief period of time seems like something that would make sense for her story.

I think Cersei will rule, but that it will be through Tommen like we've seen her do already. Now that Kevan is dead and the Reach and Stormlands are getting pillaged or invaded by Ironborn and the Golden Company, there aren't very many people positioned to keep her in check.

But the way she got crowned queen in the show was pretty nonsensical and I don't really see a way for it to happen in the books. The powers of Westeros are pretty serious about laws of succession and Aegon is right on her doorstep. I don't think there will be time for her to be made queen. At best, if Tommen dies I could see her just proclaiming it herself with what little power she still has but largely being ignored.

1 hour ago, The Good Doctor said:

Assuming he's just talking about the Iron Throne and not all the claimants who never got it like Renly, or the secessionists like Robb and Balon, I'm betting it's gonna be:

Robert, Joffrey, Tommen, Aegon VI, Dany, Bran. 

I think that Cersei ended up playing the huge role that she did as Dany's final foe is because the showrunners didn't want to do the Aegon storyline and they really liked Cersei's actress. And I leave out Stannis because even though I think he'll win against the Boltons, I don't think he'll ever go south of the Neck again. As he said in Storm of Swords, his enemy is to the north.

Maybe Stannis will end up taking the black. I'm dreaming, I know. :P

41 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

I think Cersei will rule, but that it will be through Tommen like we've seen her do already. Now that Kevan is dead and the Reach and Stormlands are getting pillaged or invaded by Ironborn and the Golden Company, there aren't very many people positioned to keep her in check.

But the way she got crowned queen in the show was pretty nonsensical and I don't really see a way for it to happen in the books. The powers of Westeros are pretty serious about laws of succession and Aegon is right on her doorstep. I don't think there will be time for her to be made queen. At best, if Tommen dies I could see her just proclaiming it herself with what little power she still has but largely being ignored.

Cersei sycophants: All hail Queen Cersei, First of Her Name, Queen of the Andals and the...

All of Westeros: Whatever, whatever. NEXT

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Witchking of Angmar said:

Seeing as how the showrunners thought it fitting to compare Winterfell with Helm's Deep someone made a video comparison that I think really shows the failure of the showrunners. First of all I can see what happen at Helm's Deep. 

Reveal hidden contents

About two minutes in I realized I was only watching the Helm’s Deep scene. XD 

• Haha 2

BTW,

from the leak

"Elden Ring, developed by FromSoftware, Inc. and Bandai Namco Entertainment Inc., is a fantasy action-RPG adventure set within a world created by Hidetaka Miyazaki—creator of the influential Dark Souls video game series; and George R.R. Martin—author of The New York Times best-selling fantasy series, A Song of Ice and Fire. Danger and discovery lurk around every corner in FromSoftware’s largest game to-date.''

Not a single mention of the writers XD

On 6/2/2019 at 1:56 PM, ColonelKillaBee said:

XD I don't think that FromSoft is the god or rpgs like Balrog but I do think Miyasaki is smarter than that lol. The way he writes lore is so far beyond anything the showwriters have ever even contemplated. He and GRRM wouldn't need their help translating anything into a videogame.

Miyisaki has one thousand insight, and the writers are the blood crazed lunatics on the streets XD

You guys are free to hype, but I've concluded that neither ASoIaF or LOTR can yield a good video game. You can't cast without cheesing, so that right there makes the game a no-go for me. Story-wise, the payoff from ASoIaF comes from the long game, from the scope of the world and the story coming together across continents and centuries. The mini-adventures of Dunk and Egg are good, don't get me wrong, but those probably wouldn't translate into a game, either.

So yeah. This game is a non-starter for me. Then again, I'm not even sure at this point if I can hype for the books.

45 minutes ago, Celan said:

You guys are free to hype, but I've concluded that neither ASoIaF or LOTR can yield a good video game. You can't cast without cheesing, so that right there makes the game a no-go for me. Story-wise, the payoff from ASoIaF comes from the long game, from the scope of the world and the story coming together across continents and centuries. The mini-adventures of Dunk and Egg are good, don't get me wrong, but those probably wouldn't translate into a game, either.

So yeah. This game is a non-starter for me. Then again, I'm not even sure at this point if I can hype for the books.

This aint an AsOIaf game, the universe and the writing is just being worked on by George. It's an original property. 

And no, in Dank Souls 3 casting is hard mode XD

• Like 1