Soulsborne Thread #9

What game should FromSoft do next?   

5 members have voted

1. 1. What game should FromSoft do next?

• Bloodborne 2
    • Elden Ring 2
    • Sekiro 2
    • A new IP in the spirit of Soulsborne
    • Something new entirely

Just now, TheCzarsHussar said:

@The Good Doctor

Hide contents

It could also be an element of Talos deleting Cyrodiil's jungles thereby they've never existed hence forward.

When Radagon and Marika became a single god, they've always been so hence forward.

I kinda hope not. It’s confusing enough without messing with linear time. 

I kinda respect figures like Aldritch and Dung-Eater; there some of the most vile monsters but there's a certain valor to them being utterly committed to their fucked up, utterly nightmarish goals. Just look at Aldy XD

"When Aldrich ruminated on the fading of the fire, it inspired visions of a coming age of the deep sea.
He knew the path would be arduous, but he had no fear. He would devour the gods himself." 

He was just like "Fuck it, I'm going to trash those fire-fuckers and EAT THE VERY GODS THEMSELVES!" And he did XD

41 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

I kinda respect figures like Aldritch and Dung-Eater; there some of the most vile monsters but there's a certain valor to them being utterly committed to their fucked up, utterly nightmarish goals. Just look at Aldy XD

I think when designing Rykard, From just took the lore of Aldrich, made it snake-themed, and then combined Yhorm and Ludwig’s boss fights for gameplay. XD 

Dung Eater is an odd one. He’s just so vile and repulsive. But yeah, in the most messed up way imaginable, there is something impressive about how far he’s come and willing to go in his mission to curse the world.

16 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

I think when designing Rykard, From just took the lore of Aldrich, made it snake-themed, and then combined Yhorm and Ludwig’s boss fights for gameplay. XD 

Dung Eater is an odd one. He’s just so vile and repulsive. But yeah, in the most messed up way imaginable, there is something impressive about how far he’s come and willing to go in his mission to curse the world.

You fight Rykard? He's a really cool spectacle.

His fight is a much better Storm Ruler gimmick cause he can still put up a fight.

1 hour ago, BigBossBalrog said:

You fight Rykard? He's a really cool spectacle.

His fight is a much better Storm Ruler gimmick cause he can still put up a fight.

Yessir. A few days ago, actually. He was definitely tougher than your average gimmick boss. His phase 2 felt like some straight up world ending shit. 

1 hour ago, The Good Doctor said:

Reveal hidden contents

So to be clear, Rykard is not the god devouring serpent, right? He is the "god" (demigod technically) that allowed the serpent to devour him.

So when we fight, which of the two is in control? Or does Rykard only come out in phase 2 when the name changes?

Nobody who fought under his banner expected Rykard to allow himself to be devoured. Maybe the serpents that fought for him did, but not man. It was beyond blasphemy, it was greed for power, that worship alone could not fully grant. It's somewhere between symbiotic and parasitic I reckon. Rykard was fully devoured but was 'reborn' within the god-devouring snake. Though I think they have two separate consciousnesses.

It never was fully killed in phase 1, Rykard just seemed to awaken from his slumber. It's a somewhat rare move, but in phase 2 the snake will suddenly awake and do it's fast grab/bite attack before lulling again.

2 hours ago, The Good Doctor said:

His phase 2 felt like some straight up world ending shit. 

When I first encountered the hailstorm of burning skulls raining from the ceiling, I panic rolled like my life depended on it. That was and remains the most intimidating boss in the game. A solid mid game challenge, he's the bullet hell of Elden RIng :P

You know, considering how all of Rennala's offspring are elderly, it's funny how young she still looks. Unless that's three feet of makeup :rofl:

I didn't actually realize Radahn, Ranni and Rykard were geezers until my second playthrough. Rykard's a snake, Ranni is a doll, and Radahn is a twenty foot wall of bronze, ebola and willpower.

Edited by TheCzarsHussar

3 hours ago, TheCzarsHussar said:

Hide contents

It never was fully killed in phase 1, Rykard just seemed to awaken from his slumber. It's a somewhat rare move, but in phase 2 the snake will suddenly awake and do it's fast grab/bite attack before lulling again.

Doesn't seem like it was even fully killed in phase 2, based on its parting words about how the serpent never dies.

2 hours ago, TheCzarsHussar said:

Hide contents

You know, considering how all of Rennala's offspring are elderly, it's funny how young she still looks. Unless that's three feet of makeup :rofl:

I didn't actually realize Radahn, Ranni and Rykard were geezers until my second playthrough. Rykard's a snake, Ranni is a doll, and Radahn is a twenty foot wall of bronze, ebola and willpower.

Are they? I mean, I don’t think snake, doll, and crazy really have any correlation with how aged a person is. I mean, they’re past their primes, but it’s the same way that a cancer patient is past their prime. Not really about being old, just degraded. I don’t really get geezerly vibes from any of the demigods.

Although Rennala is one of the greatest sorcerers alive and in possession of a great rune that allows for perfect rebirth, so she can probably maintain her youth for as long as she desires.

9 hours ago, The Good Doctor said:

Hide contents

So to be clear, Rykard is not the god devouring serpent, right? He is the "god" (demigod technically) that allowed the serpent to devour him.

So when we fight, which of the two is in control? Or does Rykard only come out in phase 2 when the name changes?

I think they became one; the God Devouring Serpent and Rykard died, becoming the Lord of Blasphemy.  

You can find an item that details his true motivation, and it's pretty terrifying. 

"Scepter in the shape of a serpent devouring the world. This
weapon will one day become the very symbol of the Lord of 
Blasphemy.
One of the legendary armaments.

A vision of the future briefly seen by Rykard in his final moments
before being devoured by the great serpent."

7 hours ago, The Good Doctor said:

Hide contents

Doesn't seem like it was even fully killed in phase 2, based on its parting words about how the serpent never dies.

Are they? I mean, I don’t think snake, doll, and crazy really have any correlation with how aged a person is. I mean, they’re past their primes, but it’s the same way that a cancer patient is past their prime. Not really about being old, just degraded. I don’t really get geezerly vibes from any of the demigods.

Although Rennala is one of the greatest sorcerers alive and in possession of a great rune that allows for perfect rebirth, so she can probably maintain her youth for as long as she desires.

Rykard has a painting depicting him pre-snake as an old man. Ranni's corpse, as well as statues of her show a withered old crone thought it's hard to tell with how charred her corpse is. Radahn there's not anything I can recall on his age, he could be the youngest of the three for all we know.

I beat Mohg. Fun fight. :D Of all the solo bosses, he’s probably the toughest I’ve encountered. Switching to a bleed weapon against him was a game changer, though.

Also beat Commander Niall, which is probably the fight I feel best vindicates @Witchking of Angmar on the idea of late game areas being designed with summons in mind. Doing the 3v1 without them was a pain. Shame of it is that Niall himself seemed like he would’ve been a pretty good boss fight on his own. Adding the Banished Knights felt excessive.

I like the snowy areas. They’re tougher, for sure, but it’s a nice change of scenery and honestly the aboveground stuff was feeling a little too easy by the time I beat Morgott. Not anymore. XD 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

I beat Mohg. Fun fight. :D Of all the solo bosses, he’s probably the toughest I’ve encountered. Switching to a bleed weapon against him was a game changer, though.

Also beat Commander Niall, which is probably the fight I feel best vindicates @Witchking of Angmar on the idea of late game areas being designed with summons in mind. Doing the 3v1 without them was a pain. Shame of it is that Niall himself seemed like he would’ve been a pretty good boss fight on his own. Adding the Banished Knights felt excessive.

I like the snowy areas. They’re tougher, for sure, but it’s a nice change of scenery and honestly the aboveground stuff was feeling a little too easy by the time I beat Morgott. Not anymore. XD 

Don't you mean Commander Mormont ontop Castle Black XD

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

BTW do you understand what Mogh did? He's a sick fuck. 

Looked like he was using blood magic to siphon power from Miquella or something. He also seemed to view him as like a spouse or something, which I’m guessing was pretty one-sided and rapey but I don’t know what’s literal here and what isn’t. 

3 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

Hide contents

Looked like he was using blood magic to siphon power from Miquella or something. He also seemed to view him as like a spouse or something, which I’m guessing was pretty one-sided and rapey but I don’t know what’s literal here and what isn’t. 

The description was "he tried to force him to share his

bed chamber" which is pretty explicit. He wanted to turn him into his husband-slave (Or "King" consort as the game uses). 

The really fucked up part comes in when Miquella is his half brother...who was cursed to be stuck in the body of a child. It's pretty horrifying. 

42 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

Hide contents

The description was "he tried to force him to share his

bed chamber" which is pretty explicit. He wanted to turn him into his husband-slave (Or "King" consort as the game uses). 

The really fucked up part comes in when Miquella is his half brother...who was cursed to be stuck in the body of a child. It's pretty horrifying. 

But we saw his "bedchamber". It’s a giant cocoon thing that he shared with (what appears to be a giant mutated) Miquella in the form of a pool of blood. That’s what I mean when I say it’s hard to know how literal it is. Like, whatever he’s doing is quite probably far worse than literal rape, but it is kind of hard to nail down what exactly that is. And I’m not sure I want to.

Also found the Consecrated Snowfield. Place is a trip.