Soulsborne Thread #9

What game should FromSoft do next?   

5 members have voted

1. 1. What game should FromSoft do next?

• Bloodborne 2
    • Elden Ring 2
    • Sekiro 2
    • A new IP in the spirit of Soulsborne
    • Something new entirely

2 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

I did the same. XD 

Hide contents

Seemed like an easy choice considering everything we were presented. Basically help the honorable badass old man, or help the mass murderer because she was moderately nice to you (and for a price).

I wish that Jerrick had more quests of his own leading up to it, because his arrival kinda came out of nowhere and he very much feels like plot device for her questline. 

I also wish that Sellen had given more incentive to help her when it came down to choosing one or the other. Like, I understand that her research is intentionally esoteric and incomprehensible, but if you want me to consider murdering a good man on behalf of an obvious villain, you need to at least help me understand what her success will lead to. Like, will she revolutionize magic? Will she take over the Academy and make it support me as Elden Lord like Nepheli did with Stormveil? Give me a concrete reason to choose her.

I did enjoy her character a lot, though. Which upsets me that she had to die so abruptly because I was very curious where her story was going. She reminds me of a Telvanni.

To be fair, I think his role "A CELEBRATION OF WAR"  in a certain festival was already very memorable XD

Small spoilers; you get your answers if you side with Sellen. 

She swears fealty (and by extension the Academy) to you if you should take the Throne of Elden Lord...and then something crazy happens. If you side with her you get a whole other sequence for her sidequest. 

Just now, BigBossBalrog said:

To be fair, I think his role "A CELEBRATION OF WAR"  in a certain festival was already very memorable XD

Small spoilers; you get your answers if you side with Sellen. 

Hide contents

She swears fealty (and by extension the Academy) to you if you should take the Throne of Elden Lord...and then something crazy happens. If you side with her you get a whole other sequence for her sidequest. 

I figured that there would be more answers if you sided with her. I just wish we had more info before we have to make the choice. Because her promising to support me for lord would definitely have made me consider it more than I did.

And if you do the obviously good thing and kill her, you kinda get blue balled by the whole thing. Not-Gael just up and leaves, and all the buildup and mystery surrounding Sellen just gets cut short with no apparent hints of what would’ve happened.

2 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

Hide contents

I figured that there would be more answers if you sided with her. I just wish we had more info before we have to make the choice. Because her promising to support me for lord would definitely have made me consider it more than I did.

And if you do the obviously good thing and kill her, you kinda get blue balled by the whole thing. Not-Gael just up and leaves, and all the buildup and mystery surrounding Sellen just gets cut short with no apparent hints of what would’ve happened.

The price of being a Knight; I thought him promising to meet you at "the next tourney as comrades" was badass XD

If Ji was still around at the point, he gives you some exposition if you sider with Jerrick too 

1 minute ago, BigBossBalrog said:

My mistake; Iji 

Oh, that makes sense.

Iji was dead in my game, but Jerrick did seem very pleased that I had helped Ranni. I thought it was nice to know that there was apparently some kind ship between the siblings’ followers. I want to believe that Radahn and Ranni didn’t completely hate each other, despite holding opposite world views. 

3 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

Oh, that makes sense.

Hide contents

Iji was dead in my game, but Jerrick did seem very pleased that I had helped Ranni. I thought it was nice to know that there was apparently some kind ship between the siblings’ followers. I want to believe that Radahn and Ranni didn’t completely hate each other, despite holding opposite world views. 

It helped me to see Ranni's viewpoints better when she had such honorable men like Jerrick, Iji, and Bleide respecting her so much (following in the later twos case) XD

And yeah, apparently Ranni, Radahn, and Rykard were very close growing up. I can imagine not even war can break a sibling bond like that.

30 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

Hide contents

It helped me to see Ranni's viewpoints better when she had such honorable men like Jerrick, Iji, and Bleide respecting her so much (following in the later twos case) XD

And yeah, apparently Ranni, Radahn, and Rykard were very close growing up. I can imagine not even war can break a sibling bond like that.

I wish we could’ve gotten Ranni’s perspective on Radahn and Rykard’s deaths. Or just some commentary on them at all. We know she loves and is protective of her mother, but her lack of acknowledgement of her siblings, even the one who her quest requires you to slay, was part of what made me view her as a rather self-centered person.

Blaidd and Iji seem to love her as family because they grew up with her. So I’d say they’re likely a little biased. But I still don’t see much good in her murder of Godwyn. It seems like her goal of forging her own destiny, whatever that means, came at the cost of many deaths and lots of suffering, and that she knew this when she did it. 

4 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

Hide contents

I wish we could’ve gotten Ranni’s perspective on Radahn and Rykard’s deaths. Or just some commentary on them at all. We know she loves and is protective of her mother, but her lack of acknowledgement of her siblings, even the one who her quest requires you to slay, was part of what made me view her as a rather self-centered person.

Blaidd and Iji seem to love her as family because they grew up with her. So I’d say they’re likely a little biased. But I still don’t see much good in her murder of Godwyn.

Then there's Morgott who calls all of them dirty traitors who deserved to die XD

Godwyn...is a whole can of worms. There's a ton of debate about it; once you find the Black Knife set, it has really unsettling implications, so i'll wait till you find it. 

• Haha 1

@TheCzarsHussar

I met the Lord of Blood. 

I died. XD 

Actually, I don’t think I did too badly for my first attempt. Got him down to about half health but then he amped up the blood magic by about 200%, weird chanting and all, and knocked me out pretty much straight away. I might try some more tonight, but if not I’ll hopefully get him next time I play.

Cool boss design, though. And creepy. And gross. And I’m  confused by what Miquella is doing there, and why he’s in some sort of cocoon. I’m eager to slay this guy so I can read some item descriptions and figure out what the hell is going on. But considering Miquella has so far been portrayed as a relatively okay dude, and that he currently appears to be either dead or nearly dead, I suspect he’s a prisoner. XD 

Whatever the case, it makes my job easier. Gideon says there are four great shardbearers left undiscovered. Ranni was one but doesn’t count because she ditched hers. Malenia was another. And Miquella and the Lord of Blood were the other two. So after this I reckon I’ll be down to just one left. Not bad. :D 

As an aside, if Mohg has Miquella’s shard, that would cement him as the only being besides ourselves to actually have any success at acquiring more than one of the damn things. Considering that, plus the fact that he’s got an OP secret underground army, plus is seemingly "healthy", at full power, and in his right mind (by that I mean, not animalistic like Radahn or broken like Rennala), it seems like he might be the character best positioned to succeed at conquering the Lands Between and becoming Elden Lord without our intervention. Assuming that’s his goal, at least.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

@TheCzarsHussar

I met the Lord of Blood. 

Reveal hidden contents

I died. XD 

Actually, I don’t think I did too badly for my first attempt. Got him down to about half health but then he amped up the blood magic by about 200%, weird chanting and all, and knocked me out pretty much straight away. I might try some more tonight, but if not I’ll hopefully get him next time I play.

Cool boss design, though. And creepy. And gross. And I’m  confused by what Miquella is doing there, and why he’s in some sort of cocoon. I’m eager to slay this guy so I can read some item descriptions and figure out what the hell is going on. But considering Miquella has so far been portrayed as a relatively okay dude, and that he currently appears to be either dead or nearly dead, I suspect he’s a prisoner. XD 

Whatever the case, it makes my job easier. Gideon says there are four great shardbearers left undiscovered. Ranni was one but doesn’t count because she ditched hers. Malenia was another. And Miquella and the Lord of Blood were the other two. So after this I reckon I’ll be down to just one left. Not bad. :D 

As an aside, if Mohg has Miquella’s shard, that would cement him as the only being besides ourselves to actually have any success at acquiring more than one of the damn things. Considering that, plus the fact that he’s got an OP secret underground army, plus is seemingly "healthy", at full power, and in his right mind (by that I mean, not animalistic like Radahn or broken like Rennala), it seems like he might be the character best positioned to succeed at conquering the Lands Between and becoming Elden Lord without our intervention. Assuming that’s his goal, at least.

Good man! 

He's one of the hardest bosses in the game if you don't have a bleed build. He's actually incredibly weak to bleed, but that's because of lore that you'll find out soon enough. The way to survive the phase transition the intended way (there's like three other hilarious ways to survive it) is to mix the blood teardrop into your physic and drink it before phase 2 procs.

Mohg is without a doubt the most evil character From has ever made, up there with Pontiff if not far surpassing him. Pontiff is only worse in the scope of fucking over the entire world rather than the Lands Between.

One thing I love about his fight is he's at his absolute prime, hiding in the sidelines and biding his time. He's entirely optional and is wholly devoid of interaction unless you actively seek him either through becoming his knight, as you did, or finding a secret area of the secret area in the secret area lategame area XD

Gideon Ofnir doesn't have a very high opinion of Mohg, when you first find the palace and tell him about it, he calls him a raving lunatic who's goals are unattainable.

27 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

@TheCzarsHussar

I met the Lord of Blood. 

Hide contents

I died. XD 

You'd wish you hadn't XD He's seriously one of the darkest characters FROM has done

• Like 1

Just now, BigBossBalrog said:

You'd wish you hadn't XD He's seriously one of the darkest characters FROM has done

1 minute ago, TheCzarsHussar said:

Good man! 

Reveal hidden contents

He's one of the hardest bosses in the game if you don't have a bleed build. He's actually incredibly weak to bleed, but that's because of lore that you'll find out soon enough. The way to survive the phase transition the intended way (there's like three other hilarious ways to survive it) is to mix the blood teardrop into your physic and drink it before phase 2 procs.

Mohg is without a doubt the most evil character From has ever made, up there with Pontiff if not far surpassing him. Pontiff is only worse in the scope of fucking over the entire world rather than the Lands Between.

One thing I love about his fight is he's at his absolute prime, hiding in the sidelines and biding his time. He's entirely optional and is wholly devoid of interaction unless you actively seek him either through becoming his knight, as you did, or finding a secret area of the secret area in the secret area lategame area XD

Gideon Ofnir doesn't have a very high opinion of Mohg, when you first find the palace and tell him about it, he calls him a raving lunatic who's goals are unattainable.

He definitely seems bad, but how can he he a bigger monster than Mr. "I will kill and rape literally everyone in the world and defile their souls so badly that it curses their future generations for all time?" XD 

Just now, The Good Doctor said:

He definitely seems bad, but how can he he a bigger monster than Mr. "I will kill and rape literally everyone in the world and defile their souls so badly that it curses their future generations for all time?" XD 

You'll see. 

Dung Eater's is really fucked up, but the more you delve into his quest, you'll understand what his motives really are and what his curse really does.

Just now, TheCzarsHussar said:

You'll see. 

Dung Eater's is really fucked up, but the more you delve into his quest, you'll understand what his motives really are and what his curse really does.

Dung Eater or Mohg? Because for DE, he’s already told me. 

He wants me to bring him the seedbed curses that grew from corpses he previously defiled, use them to defile him, and have him produce a cursed ring that will defile Order itself, cursing everyone who will ever be born.

To me, that seems like, almost peak evil. XD Downright difficult to top. He even described himself as the scourge of the living. Guy doesn’t mince words. 

1 minute ago, The Good Doctor said:

Dung Eater or Mohg? Because for DE, he’s already told me. 

Hide contents

He wants me to bring him the seedbed curses that grew from corpses he previously defiled, use them to defile him, and have him produce a cursed ring that will defile Order itself, cursing everyone who will ever be born.

To me, that seems like, almost peak evil. XD Downright difficult to top. He even described himself as the scourge of the living. Guy doesn’t mince words. 

He wants to curse everyone to be reborn as Omen, and their decedents forevermore. But also defile their souls to be something even more sinister.

The Omens, Crucible Knights and Missbegotten are in truth blessed/holy beings, close in nature to the Crucible but they're spurned by the grace of gold for reasons you'll discover the more you play.

9 minutes ago, TheCzarsHussar said:

Hide contents

He wants to curse everyone to be reborn as Omen, and their decedents forevermore. But also defile their souls to be something even more sinister.

The Omens, Crucible Knights and Missbegotten are in truth blessed/holy beings, close in nature to the Crucible but they're spurned by the grace of gold for reasons you'll discover the more you play.

Is that how Omens typically come to be?

I know Morgott was the son of Marika and Godfrey, so I guess it can happen that way too. But Dung Eater has seemingly been around for a VERY long time, and has defiled shitloads of people. Like, he keeps them piled to the ceiling in his room and that’s not considering that he travels the world doing this shit.

Kinda crazy if Omens are all or mostly the result of one maniac running around cursing hundreds or thousands of innocents who are then reborn cursed and birth similarly cursed children. 

Just now, The Good Doctor said:

Hide contents

Is that how Omens typically come to be?

I know Morgott was the son of Marika and Godfrey, so I guess it can happen that way too. But Dung Eater has seemingly been around for a VERY long time, and has defiled shitloads of people. Kinda crazy if Omens are all or mostly the result of one maniac running around cursing hundreds or thousands of innocents who are then reborn cursed and birth similarly cursed children. 

I'm not entirely sure, I don't think so because Dung-Eater was born with the soul of an Omen but not the horns of one. If they were around before him, unless he inherited the curse from an older person as we inherit his, then the Omen predates his fuckery.

Just now, TheCzarsHussar said:

Hide contents

I'm not entirely sure, I don't think so because Dung-Eater was born with the soul of an Omen but not the horns of one. If they were around before him, unless he inherited the curse from an older person as we inherit his, then the Omen predates his fuckery.

Yeah, I don’t think it could have originated with him because of Morgott. Godfrey was the first Tarnished so he should predate Dung Eater and besides doesn’t appear to be cursed himself.

But even if Dung Eater isn’t the progenitor, I wouldn’t be surprised if he is largely responsible for how widespread the curse has become. It seems like a common factor of the intro’s legendary Tarnished is that they are all big players with big plans for the world. Fia, Goldmask, and Gideon definitely are. I don’t see why Dung Eater wouldn’t be as well.

• Like 1