Soulsborne Thread #9

What game should FromSoft do next?   

5 members have voted

1. 1. What game should FromSoft do next?

• Bloodborne 2
    • Elden Ring 2
    • Sekiro 2
    • A new IP in the spirit of Soulsborne
    • Something new entirely

39 minutes ago, Witchking of Angmar said:

I hereby declare a new thread.

Also, I really hate the "shotgun" spells. They can barely hit the broadside of a barn and do shit damage.

The quick casting rock sling incantation is insanely good for interrupting spellcasters from close range. I've knocked many a ganker out of rotten breath with it.

1 hour ago, Witchking of Angmar said:

I hereby declare a new thread.

Also, I really hate the "shotgun" spells. They can barely hit the broadside of a barn and do shit damage.

The spell list in this game is so big, I feel like most have the capacity to be very useful, but they’re just so situational that it’s not worth equipping them in your limited memory slots over the select few that are more frequently useful. 

Well, I know why y’all told me to keep playing now. XD 

The Morgott fight was a blast. Took me three attempts but I feel like the "Margit" fights had gotten me ready for him. Same concept with the delayed hits followed by roll-catch spam combos. Just gotta roll through him instead of away and that’ll get you through most. I did get down to just one flask remaining, though.

Didn’t expect the Erdtree twist. Now everyone wants me to burn the thing down?!? What the hell is going on now? I don’t wanna do that!

Now I’m in the mountains, playing in the snow. XD 

35 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

Well, I know why y’all told me to keep playing now. XD 

Hide contents

The Morgott fight was a blast. Took me three attempts but I feel like the "Margit" fights had gotten me ready for him. Same concept with the delayed hits followed by roll-catch spam combos. Just gotta roll through him instead of away and that’ll get you through most. I did get down to just one flask remaining, though.

Didn’t expect the Erdtree twist. Now everyone wants me to burn the thing down?!? What the hell is going on now? I don’t wanna do that!

Now I’m in the mountains, playing in the snow. XD 

Did you make sure to talk to Morgott after the fight? It's easy to miss, he's still alive. 

BTW; Morgott is very reminiscent of another Martin Character XD

1. "Is hated by his entire family, despite his loyalty to his house. He is pushed aside for his more popular relatives despite his immense competence"

2."Is a stern, hardass who is utterly ruthless, but despite that is honorable, noble, and a fair, if brutal, ruler." 

3."Is a general who fights alongside his soldiers, a highly skilled warrior, an uncanny tactician, and one hell of an administrator" 

4."Entire motivation boils down to one thing; his duty, in which he'll cross most moral boundaries to fulfil it"

Remind you of someone XD

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

Hide contents

Did you make sure to talk to Morgott after the fight? It's easy to miss, he's still alive. 

Yes. It made me feel a little sad for him, to be honest.

I like the way all the different major bosses come across by the time we meet them.

Godrick was your typical power mad tyrant who you feel heroic for bringing down.

Rennala is a decent person who’s mad with grief and basically just has to be snapped out of her delirium for a while.

Radahn is the deranged husk of a noble warrior and with the music and the festival and his own friends joining in, putting him down feels more like a respectful mercy sendoff than the slaying of a villain.

Morgott seems to still be completely capable and loyal, and honestly despite hunting Tarnished (he has his reasons) seems like a decent person. Killing him felt the most regrettable so far. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

Yes. It made me feel a little sad for him, to be honest.

Hide contents

I like the way all the different major bosses come across by the time we meet them.

Godrick was your typical power mad tyrant who you feel heroic for bringing down.

Rennala is a decent person who’s mad with grief and basically just has to be snapped out of her delirium for a while.

Radahn is the deranged husk of a noble warrior and with the music and the festival and his own friends joining in, putting him down feels more like a respectful mercy sendoff than the slaying of a villain.

Morgott seems to still be completely capable and loyal, and honestly despite hunting Tarnished (he has his reasons) seems like a decent person. Killing him felt the most regrettable so far. 

It helps that the characters

actually get dialogue and alot more lore associated with them.

There's some Jerkasses like Gywn, but honestly the Demigods mostly seemed like a decent lot that just couldn't handle the Great Runes and the succession crisis. 

Good shit @The Good Doctor!

All that buildup and grandeur only to be rejected by the Erdtree, it's quite a lark when you think about it, to quote an npc.

I had well distrusted the Erdtree and Golden Order before that, but it was that moment I wholely didn't trust it anymore. Have fun in the snow area bro, its gonna be harder then anything before here on out, but I really really love the boss at the very top of the mountain.

I've been possessed by the spirit of Solaire, because I spent the whole night helping casuals against the last three bosses of the game. Rant, but not spoilers.

I love love love both the third and second before last, it's hard but fair through and through. But having done the final fight so goddamn much, I've really begun to hate it. Beautiful arena, and alright boss visuals, but the most frustrating final boss they've made to date. I hope you guys love chasing a boss that runs away the entire fight spamming magic, oh and with a terrible camera where you cannot see the attacks coming when you finally reach the motherfucker. And to top it all off, it has an attack that granted is low damage, but is undodgeable and chases you for thirty seconds, all the while the boss is also doing other attacks and running away and casting.

Christ, at times I feel it's actually a badly designed boss, not to mention the biggest letdown in the game.

Edited by TheCzarsHussar

@Witchking of Angmar The orderly part of my brain appreciates the thread title being short again. XD 

8 hours ago, TheCzarsHussar said:

Good shit @The Good Doctor!

Hide contents

Have fun in the snow area bro, its gonna be harder then anything before here on out,

Damn dude, you weren’t kidding! The "mobs" in the very first location are all former bosses! 

That’s not the case in the next few areas beyond, so I feel like that was a very deliberate design choice. Basically their way of saying "hey, see this? This region is going to be harder".

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Witchking of Angmar said:

I wish certain animals had 100% drop rate on certain components. It gets rather silly slaughtering dozens of sheep only to get 1 liver. I also can't shake the feeling it's some stupid holdover mechanic from old rpg:s.

I’m about to start a character who uses lots of archery and I can already bet this will be an issue for arrow crafting. 

9 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

I’m about to start a character who uses lots of archery and I can already bet this will be an issue for arrow crafting. 

Luckily feathers and bones tend to be rather common drops. The beach west of the starting area has lots of birds that easily drops lots of feathers. Thin bones drop easily from most passive non-bird animals. Merchant Kale also sell regular arrows. I managed to keep myself well stocked by just stopping by him whenever I wanted to dump runes before heading into certain death over and over.

Still don't get the point of having a sub 100% drop rate on such basic items. All it does is make farming more annoying and time consuming.

Power corrupts, absolute power... is a whole lot of fun!

1 hour ago, Witchking of Angmar said:

All it does is make farming more annoying and time consuming.

Elden Ring in general has the lowest rates for a lot of things, since Ds2. I can list several armor sets, weapons, and items that are less then 1% drop rate.

For example, the weapons that the hollow nobles that wander around has a 0.5% chance of dropping.

7 minutes ago, TheCzarsHussar said:

For example, the weapons that the hollow nobles that wander around has a 0.5% chance of dropping.

That seems weird, because I’ve gotten two so far as random drops. A straightsword and a dagger. And the sword is pretty sweet. 

But isn’t drop rate based on Arcane and Item Discovery? So that .5% wouldn’t be static. 

• Like 1

I'm seeing some complaints about how FROM seemed to reuse old, and cut stuff from Dark Souls III, but the cut content reusual seems to go all the way back to fucking Demon's Souls XD

ehalpn6cjqs81.jpg

I personally have no problem with it; if you have an idea that didn't work the first time, but you think you can get it right now, why not use it?

1 hour ago, The Good Doctor said:

But isn’t drop rate based on Arcane and Item Discovery? So that .5% wouldn’t be static.

I don't know how item discovery interacts with drop rate percentages exactly, but it certainly helps.

1 hour ago, The Good Doctor said:

That seems weird, because I’ve gotten two so far as random drops. A straightsword and a dagger. And the sword is pretty sweet.

On my Theudofrid character, it took off and on farming over an hour to get that sword, and thats with an optimal farm in Caelid. You lucky hoe :rofl:

Speaking of Theu, he had some serious change in fashion souls.

Went through 90% of the game as this, felt the most faithful I could get to maintaining his character and appearance.
20220410182434_1.thumb.jpg.19125d0828ff486888d99f5a1306b8bf.jpg

Then when I reached a super late game area, and started helping random people. I decided to go full on Nordic chad clever man.

20220410182454_1.thumb.jpg.912f6f8deb0a401c05ea1025b197d018.jpg

Then when I finally got this last armor piece I was working towards, I turned it around and went full on Godskin Lord. I still get to fast roll too :D

20220410182515_1.thumb.jpg.d425a403a37f3856d0dab7c0e8f9abea.jpg

Edited by TheCzarsHussar