Roleplayer’s Off Ropic Thread #22

Balrog Didn’t Want a Poll  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Balrog Didn’t Want a Poll

• So here it is.
    • Suck it.
    • Skyrim belongs to the Nords.

Found something fun in that Todd Howard interview that mentioned the original plans for those strongholds in Skyrim. There is a part where he talks about their older plans for the game’s premise and it’s really pretty interesting and kinda funny. That Uriel Septim V actually survived, has been in Akavir all this time, and would return leading an army of dragons. Here is the quote:

"I could sit here and tell you lots about Akavir. Actually, one of the original Skyrim designs had, I think it was Uriel V returning, with his army of dragons from there to retake his throne. But it was sort of like "Keep the mysterious lands mysterious". There's enough to do in Tamriel proper. As time goes on, I like to have those elements of mystery or really strange things that you can't wrap your head around.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

25 minutes ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

That’s retarded XD wonder if that was the precursor to the idea of Miraak.

Maybe. Seems like Dragonborn vs Dragonborn has been on their minds for a very long time. Some of what they talked about was very early. Like 2007, so this could’ve been a precursor to a lot of stuff.

I agree it sounds dumb, but it’s the kind of thing that could’ve been made to work with some decent writing. There were almost no surviving witnesses to Uriel‘s death and those few who did claim to see it were caught up in the chaos and did not have detailed accounts. Plus, the Blades were originally Akaviri who were looking for a dragonborn to serve, which could explain his survival and him gaining power over there.

No idea how this would’ve worked with the Thalmor (who were set up to exist in Oblivion), or the Medes, Skyrim Civil War, Alduin, etc. Or if any of that was even planned back then. But if done well, I do think Uriel could’ve at least been a more compelling villain than Alduin turned out to be. Not that that’s saying much. XD 

There are also some early notes that are hard to read but someone on Reddit managed to transcribe. Looks like another early idea was that an Elder Scroll brought back the dragons, maybe instead of Alduin.

4) is my favorite, mentioning more Dune inspiration and the idea of your Dragonborn powers making it dangerous to act yourself. Wish they’d focused more on this. I also wish 5) had been better done.

Looks like those strongholds really just ended up being the Blades and Sky Haven Temple in the end. 

Todd_Howard_Skyrim_Design_Notebook.jpg

Arena : The world, Daggerfall : me, Morrowind : places, Oblivion : people, Skyrim : connection

> 100s of years after Oblivion - Empire collapsed - 4^th Era called around by f(...) Co(...) [fudgy Colovians ?]

> Oblivion scale - but only 4/5 cities

> 1) Push connection - and their freeform use, (Radiant story & quests)

> Brutal - see Conan - it's men - bloody/dirty - Epic Reality - see Argonath from LOTR

> 2) Dragons - fight large creatures - EPIC

> 3) The Elder Scrolls - the ultimate McGuffins - use them

> A scroll rez dragons, it's been manipulated to have them return

> 4) Player is seen as god/hero. Has/learns the power of the Shouting - secret / Jedi-like power. (Maddib')- see Dune. Dangerous to act yourself

> 5) MQ is highly freeform - a war / changing allegiances

> 6) STRONGHOLD - a freeform castle / dungeon / fortress the player makes and recruits people into. Depends on faction you join (Return to Blades)?

> 7) -> can be shared with other users - Bridge gap between actual game and modding - large part exists together

15 minutes ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

Ugh I think that’s what they used in ESO recently to bring back the dragons in elsweyr

I thought that those dragons were alive all along. Just trapped in a magical vault or something. Idk, haven’t played it.

13 minutes ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

I’m really upset that the empire wasn’t collapsed in this but at least we know it’s on their mind.

edit: we knew anyway but that extra confirms it

Yeah, looks like at the time they were thinking about going all the way with it. I wonder if this coincides with the Uriel plans. It would likely work better as his goal would then be to bring back the Empire under him rather than take it over from the Medes (who don’t exist), meaning that fighting him and his dragons would’ve also been fighting to keep the Empire from returning. 

They also mention a war and changing alliances. Maybe the Nordic split would’ve been between those for continuing independence and those for returning to Imperial rule under Uriel. 

4 minutes ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

Ew, I’d have even less respect for them at that point. Though an army of dragons is at least a persuasive argument. 

Especially if the Thalmor were still around, which they should be since Bethesda laid the groundwork for them even earlier than all this. If the Empire has dragons, the argument that they’re the best chance at beating the Dominion has a lot more merit. Not to mention a potentially immortal dragonborn ruler who probably wields the thu’um.

Viking’d. XD 

Edited by The Good Doctor
  • Haha 1

Indeed. It would then be an argument solely on principle to support the “Stormcloaks” or whatever the Nords would be called who oppose the Dragonborn Emperor Uriel, which would be perfectly fine for me.

Plus, it fits since I don’t see a Dragonborn bending knee to another Dragonborn. 

Alduin did so by fear and power. Like hell ima just bend to Uriel without a fight.

• Like 1

"Even the hardest dick must go flaccid." -Colonelkillabee

3 minutes ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

Would work even better if the Thalmor are around. Plus, Uriel represents the time of the Empire at its best when it was at least respectable and not this pathetic shadow it is now of its former self.

Yeah, we wouldn’t have gotten to see nearly two centuries of the Empire crumbling. It would’ve just been “oh this is so nice and shiny” back in Oblivion and us being sad to see it end with Martin’s death, and then likely 200 years of Cyrodiil struggling and the Dominion getting scarier, and then suddenly a guy shows up with dragons and promises to fix it all and make things the way they were. 

If this wasn’t from 2007, I’d think they were ripping off Game of Thrones. XD 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

Indeed. It would then be an argument solely on principle to support the “Stormcloaks” or whatever the Nords would be called who oppose the Dragonborn Emperor Uriel, which would be perfectly fine for me.

Plus, it fits since I don’t see a Dragonborn bending knee to another Dragonborn. 

Alduin did so by fear and power. Like hell ima just bend to Uriel without a fight.

I have a feeling that siding with the Empire wouldn’t have been an option in the end. Not if Uriel and his dragons were to be the main villain. Hell, I used to think that letting us side with them at all was a later decision. Still not sure that ain’t the case.

Admittedly, it would have been cool to fight the Empire, whose symbol is a dragon, while it has literal dragons. 

5 minutes ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

Remember my thread about that and how salty people got back in the old days XD 

Yeah, you might even be the one who first put it in my head. XD 

Back to the Uriel thing, the fact that Bethesda were considering that seems pretty big to me. Coupled with the lack of proof that he died, it makes me wonder if they planned his survival long in advance. I don’t see it happening now though, because it would ruin the whole "Last Dragonborn" thing.

3 hours ago, The Good Doctor said:

There are also some early notes that are hard to read but someone on Reddit managed to transcribe. Looks like another early idea was that an Elder Scroll brought back the dragons, maybe instead of Alduin.

4) is my favorite, mentioning more Dune inspiration and the idea of your Dragonborn powers making it dangerous to act yourself. Wish they’d focused more on this. I also wish 5) had been better done.

Looks like those strongholds really just ended up being the Blades and Sky Haven Temple in the end. 

Hide contents

Todd_Howard_Skyrim_Design_Notebook.jpg

Arena : The world, Daggerfall : me, Morrowind : places, Oblivion : people, Skyrim : connection

> 100s of years after Oblivion - Empire collapsed - 4^th Era called around by f(...) Co(...) [fudgy Colovians ?]

> Oblivion scale - but only 4/5 cities

> 1) Push connection - and their freeform use, (Radiant story & quests)

> Brutal - see Conan - it's men - bloody/dirty - Epic Reality - see Argonath from LOTR

> 2) Dragons - fight large creatures - EPIC

> 3) The Elder Scrolls - the ultimate McGuffins - use them

> A scroll rez dragons, it's been manipulated to have them return

> 4) Player is seen as god/hero. Has/learns the power of the Shouting - secret / Jedi-like power. (Maddib')- see Dune. Dangerous to act yourself

> 5) MQ is highly freeform - a war / changing allegiances

> 6) STRONGHOLD - a freeform castle / dungeon / fortress the player makes and recruits people into. Depends on faction you join (Return to Blades)?

> 7) -> can be shared with other users - Bridge gap between actual game and modding - large part exists together

7  :sick:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1