Roleplayer's Off Topic Thread #29

Dead Pool- Who will not make it through chapter 4? (choose 3)  

6 members have voted

1. 1. Deadest Characters Edition

• General Gracchus Ceno
    • Admiral Tacitus Meridius
    • High King Baldur Red-Snow
    • Boldir Iron-Brow
    • King Theodore Adrard
    • Sir Thomas Maric
    • Nahfahlaan
    • Ubbe the Savage

I’m not gonna get drawn in lol all I have to say is the valenwood conflict (from what I’ve seen y’all reference) was primarily guerrilla warfare, what we call proxy wars and the Great War is conventional warfare. (Again from Ive seen y’all reference) the Aldmeri forces used two tactics that we (US Army) train in 1. Defeat in detail. 2. Decisive operations. 

Defeat in detail was first popularized be Napoleon to take his significantly smaller army and beat overwhelming forces by dividing his men to get the larger for to divide and then recombining his men to overwhelm the now smaller force.

Decisive Operations we talk a lot about securing certain areas to provide “Freedom of Maneuver” for follow on forces as well as destroying key, not every, positions and supply routes, caches, etc. It allows us to set the tempo of conflict while maintaining battle superiority even against well dug in, or superior numbered enemies.

• Like 3

Fuck:dntknw:

3 minutes ago, Centurion said:

I’m not gonna get drawn in lol all I have to say is the valenwood conflict (from what I’ve seen y’all reference) was primarily guerrilla warfare, what we call proxy wars and the Great War is conventional warfare. (Again from Ive seen y’all reference) the Aldmeri forces used two tactics that we (US Army) train in 1. Defeat in detail. 2. Decisive operations. 

Defeat in detail was first popularized be Napoleon to take his significantly smaller army and beat overwhelming forces by dividing his men to get the larger for to divide and then recombining his men to overwhelm the now smaller force.

Decisive Operations we talk a lot about securing certain areas to provide “Freedom of Maneuver” for follow on forces as well as destroying key, not every, positions and supply routes, caches, etc. It allows us to set the tempo of conflict while maintaining battle superiority even against well dug in, or superior numbered enemies.

Fair enough. That is a great example and exactly what I'm talking about.

"Even the hardest dick must go flaccid." -Colonelkillabee

Also another good example. And sure, it's possible that I'm entirely wrong and Doc is right, but I just can't see how elves with a low birthrate even in preparation for years when humans out of prep pop babies without trying could make a force big enough to take on the legion without the need for their typical way of warfare. It would seem quite odd to me, and honestly even if they did, I would think that their numbers would just make their way of fighting even deadlier, and not something they'd abandon. It would be especially necessary considering numbers or not, they can't replenish those numbers as quickly as humans can. And Ondolemar seems to think that in the short span they've had from the great war to 4E201 that they're already rearing to go for part 2 of their war and that it'll be bloodier than before.

Given we know that they lost considerable forces, that also suggests to me they're in position for a one two punch yet again, not with numbers but from their subterfuge.

It would be odd if they went from traditional warfare back to their old ways in the span of twenty something years and aren't even worried. Granted they were also expecting Skyrim to be locked in civil war.

I’m working slaving now so I can’t reply to everything like before. XD But I’ll get back to ya later.

26 minutes ago, Centurion said:

Honestly I’d compare the Great War to the battle for Stalingrad. Aldmeri=Germany and Imperial=Russia

I think that’s fair. Except with the results reversed.

Two pages of an argument later, I get to put my opinion in lol.

I'm with Centurion on this one, man used actual terminology for what I was thinking. I imagined the Dominion armies were comparatively smaller than the entire combination of the legions, but the sudden and high scale of the invasion would have made use of comparatively high numbers of combatants. Reading all the arguments from both sides, I'd counter that the Dominion had concentration of their forces when attacking the Imperial City.

I disagree that the Dominion armies were severely outnumbered, at least in the early-mid periods of the conflict. Without magically support however I believe the legions would outmaneuver the elves solely through superior trained soldiers. The counter to this is that the elves likely had soldiers that lived longer and thus trained longer/veterans of the conflict in Valenwood.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

That they were caught with their pants down doesn't mean they didn't have the men, it just means they weren't deployed or located in Cyrodiil. Stretched too far trying to hold onto land they were losing elsewhere, etc. All that falls in with the idea that the Thalmor attack precisely, quickly, and when you're unawares, doesn't go against anything I said.

For more clarification since I see looking back at the likes in the last page, it needs to be highlighted. I stated first that the legion was stretched thin but it seems that was overlooked.

It's also worth noting that even tho the conflict of Valenwood itself happened in the past, both books are introduced in Skyrim. I don't see Bethesda writing about the Thalmor in the rising threat the way they did with multiple entries, at least four I believe, unless that is meant to characterize their forces in a meaningful way to differentiate how they fight and how they think. 

And that this was one hundred years ago is to me irrelevant when the ones in charge live for centuries. If their way of warfare works for them with less men, it would work even better when supported with more troops. A supply line is vital regardless, and we know they went after all of them until they were stalled at the Nordic one. Not the cities that these supply lines came from, like Chorrol, Cheydinhall, or Bruma, but the supply lines themselves to choke the city. Only cities that are mentioned prior to taking the IC are Bravil, and Leyawiin. Skingrad is mentioned to be under dominion command during the battle of the red ring later. 

So they went straight to the head, cut off most of its support, and took the city. I think that is pretty decisive. A traditional army would've taken Skingrad and Chorrol next, more likely, and then anvil, especially with their war on Hammerfell, before going after the Imperial City. What they instead did got them the whole province until Mede came back, and what's more, I find it odd that such a large force of Dominion soldiers could be unaware of a whole Legion in Cyrodiil from Hammerfell hiding near Chorrol if they truly had such a big army.

From the sounds of it, they didn't try to occupy any other places after they took the city, or else the Empire couldn't hide legions near Chorrol and Cheydinhall, but they did.

Cyrodiil is a big province, yes, but it seems odd to me is all. This is an invasion force after all but they had several legions in Cyrodiil that managed to catch the elves unawares, and they had enough forces near the border and from skingrad to keep the Nordic legion busy during the battle of the red ring.

Just something to ponder.

30 minutes ago, TheCzarsHussar said:

Who would win?

The most well trained and equipped army in the world, one that would not be emulated in scale and equipment until the Renaissance, whom conquered the entire Mediterranean vs Some horse archer bois.

Horse archers sound pretty dangerous. But how do they grip the bows with their hooves?

1 minute ago, The Good Doctor said:

Horse archers sound pretty dangerous. But how do they grip the bows with their hooves?

One horse holds the bow in their mouth, another horse positions themself alongside the first and uses their hind legs to kick the bow string back. While a self loading mechanism knocks another arrow.

Just now, TheCzarsHussar said:

One horse holds the bow in their mouth, another horse positions themself alongside the first and uses their hind legs to kick the bow string back. While a self loading mechanism knocks another arrow.

Then I’m gonna tentatively go with the well equipped human army. Because it seems like this would be very difficult to aim with the primary operator facing backwards.

1 minute ago, TheCzarsHussar said:

According to the comments on the other video, he was cleaning their crocodile pen when he legit got hunted by a pack of them and had to climb a rockwall waterfall to escape.

XD See what I'm saying?