Roleplayer’s Off Topic Thread #18

A poll of ice and fire  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Which House would you choose?

• Targaryen
    • Baratheon

12 minutes ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

That’s the idea.

Did you know that he’s talking about buying more land and opening a Demo Ranch for the public? He wants to have lots of shooting ranges, some paintball courses, and more stuff. It makes me happy seeing his business growing so much after watching him start so small. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The Good Doctor said:

Did you know that he’s talking about buying more land and opening a Demo Ranch for the public? He wants to have lots of shooting ranges, some paintball courses, and more stuff. It makes me happy seeing his business growing so much after watching him start so small. 

That would be lit! No I had no idea. 

All I wanna know tho is if it’s gonna supply dry ice, legos and .50 cals.

• Haha 1

"Even the hardest dick must go flaccid." -Colonelkillabee

12 hours ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

Yea they actually did pretty well here but in his case he just looks like a douche to me lol, not cool like they were going for. Tbh Dante is the only male character they’ve ever done that I actually loved.

The rest are complete tools. Though there were moments that I liked Nero but eh, he tries too hard. Maybe I just hate teens/young adults.

I think they are completely self aware of how much of a douche Nero is, remember in 4 how most of the game was just Dante making fun of him for his edginess XD He has his moments though, I think he has potential, Uncle Dante can reach him XD I don't hate him.

tenor.gif

He has a fun playstyle too. He's the beginner character. 

2 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

I think they are completely self aware of how much of a douche Nero is, remember in 4 how most of the game was just Dante making fun of him for his edginess XD He has his moments though, I think he has potential, Uncle Dante can reach him XD I don't hate him.

tenor.gif

He has a fun playstyle too. He's the beginner character. 

That is a good point lol, and he was fun to play.

If you're looking for a quick military history read, I've been reading D-Day Through German Eyes by Holger Eckhertz. It's actually two little e-books, I got them free with Kindle credits. It's fascinating to read about the mindset, tactics and experience of common German soldiers that day. Usually you're hearing about it from the invaders' side or in big set pieces.

Like one guy describing incendiary bombs and how the liquid would cook people from the inside. He saw a man who had smoke coming out of his mouth and nose because he had breathed it in. The Germans especially hated the English, who were said to be more ruthless than Americans or Canadians. They had declared English commandos "terrorists" in 1943 and gave them no quarter. One of these units used barbed wire to strangle and decapitate German prisoners. They thought of themselves as the protectors of France and the civilized world order, against the Bolsheviks. A lot of French collaborated but several describe finding officers shot in the head or with throats cut on invasion night, this was probably French resistance which had been holding off until the invasion. The Americans and English had dropped one-shot Browning pistols all over France for just this purpose.

Apparently there were a lot of Ukrainians who had joined the Germans in order to oppose Stalin and thousands of them were in Normandy. I can understand this, given Stalin's starvation purges right before the war. Sadly the Allied invasion meant these men were captured and handed over to the Russians.

Anyway, a good read.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Celan said:

If you're looking for a quick military history read, I've been reading D-Day Through German Eyes by Holger Eckhertz. It's actually two little e-books, I got them free with Kindle credits. It's fascinating to read about the mindset, tactics and experience of common German soldiers that day. Usually you're hearing about it from the invaders' side or in big set pieces.

Like one guy describing incendiary bombs and how the liquid would cook people from the inside. He saw a man who had smoke coming out of his mouth and nose because he had breathed it in. The Germans especially hated the English, who were said to be more ruthless than Americans or Canadians. They had declared English commandos "terrorists" in 1943 and gave them no quarter. One of these units used barbed wire to strangle and decapitate German prisoners. They thought of themselves as the protectors of France and the civilized world order, against the Bolsheviks. A lot of French collaborated but several describe finding officers shot in the head or with throats cut on invasion night, this was probably French resistance which had been holding off until the invasion.

Apparently there were a lot of Ukrainians who had joined the Germans in order to oppose Stalin. I can understand this, given Stalin's starvation purges right before the war. Sadly the Allied invasion meant these men were captured and handed over to the Russians. Anyway, a good read.

In World War 1 the English did an illegal blockade of Germany, resulting in millions of innocent German women and children starving. But their propaganda was so good and powerful they emerged from the war "as the good guys". You guys like to make fun of them, but the English in both wars we're ruthless as all fuck. 

You should try reading "Ordinary men" . It goes into the atrocities of a German Special Police unit in Poland, and what there lives we're like when they were committing these atrocities. Fascinating stuff , if you can tolerate the subject matter.

• Like 1

We make fun of them because we beat them. XD But the English are good soldiers. Considering the bombing their civilians endured, I'm not surprised the WWII units were not messing around.

Reading the German accounts, I can kind of understand how the German mindset primed a lot of these people to be taken advantage of. Virtues of duty, responsibility, and deference to authority were ingrained.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Celan said:

Virtues of duty, responsibility, and deference to authority were ingrained.

"I maintain that, as long as you tell a German loudly and clearly what to do, if you are senior to him he will cry 'jawohl' (yes sir) and get on with it enthusiastically and efficiently whatever the situation."

-Jack Churchill XD 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Good Doctor said:

"I maintain that, as long as you tell a German loudly and clearly what to do, if you are senior to him he will cry 'jawohl' (yes sir) and get on with it enthusiastically and efficiently whatever the situation."

-Jack Churchill XD 

That dude needs a movie. Way more badass than any action hero.

• Like 1