Roleplayer’s Off Topic Thread #17

1 minute ago, BigBossBalrog said:

We'll get all of them (Except Reach :( ) If that rumor about the MCC collection coming to PC is true, fingers crossed. 

Same here, I used to rub it to my PS3 fans face :chaos: The console wars we're the glory days

PC Skyrim players used to always rub it in our faces they had mods and we didn't so it felt like karmic justice to me >:(

Rofl same. I may be a pc gamer now but I’m fully aware of how annoying we are to the rest of the gaming world.

• Haha 1

"Even the hardest dick must go flaccid." -Colonelkillabee

1 minute ago, The Good Doctor said:

Why does it seem like every single company affiliated with Halo has forgotten about its best game? Nobody ever mentions Reach. It’s like Bethesda with New Vegas.

I mean it's not like 343 has forgotten it. Jun is a major character in some of the comics and the novels, and Noble Six was mentioned by Nathan-I mean Buck in the novella New Blood.  One of the Halo 5 updates had a bunch of Reach themed shit. It's very strange, because besides us, the Halo community dosen't talk about it nearly as much. It's always Halo 2 or 3 that's held as the gold standard (both amazing games, but I still prefer Reach) 

Just now, BigBossBalrog said:

I mean it's not like 343 has forgotten it. Jun is a major character in some of the comics and the novels, and Noble Six was mentioned by Nathan-I mean Buck in the novella New Blood.  One of the Halo 5 updates had a bunch of Reach themed shit. It's very strange, because besides us, the Halo community dosen't talk about it nearly as much. It's always Halo 2 or 3 that's held as the gold standard (both amazing games, but I still prefer Reach) 

So Bungie’s biggest and most ambitious game, which was their sendoff to the series, has since then been referenced in a couple books and a post-game patch.

Yeah...

• Like 1

Just now, The Good Doctor said:

So Bungie’s biggest and most ambitious game, which was their sendoff to the series, has since then been referenced in a couple books and a post-game patch.

Yeah...

I'm being serious when I say Reach isn't as highly regarded as you think by the larger Halo community XD Not only does it have the lowest Halo Bungie metacritic score, lore fans really didn't like it at first because it retconned some of the Expanded Universe stuff (a prelude to what was to come) And there's a perception that it just wasn't that innovative.

3 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

I'm being serious when I say Reach isn't as highly regarded as you think by the larger Halo community XD Not only does it have the lowest Halo Bungie metacritic score,

It was still their biggest and most ambitious game. And when viewed outside the lense of nostalgia, it’s easily one of the best.

As far as innovation goes, the multiplayer was wildly popular and a large contributor to that was the game modes that 343 never implemented when they got the rights.

39 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

And I like that. It's the tragedy of Noble Team. They we're Special Operations Black Ops (Not Oni, but still) barely anyone knows about them, because they we're so secretive. All they did will be forgotten.  All that's left of six, is his destroyed helmet. 

That’s in-universe, though. I’m talking about how 343 treats Halo 1-3 like Bethesda treats Skyrim, with constant remakes and discussion. Reach literally just feels forgotten, even the really popular online stuff like Invasion and character customization that doesn’t blow.

• Like 1

Just now, The Good Doctor said:

It was still their biggest and most ambitious game. And when viewed outside the lense of nostalgia, it’s easily one of the best.

As far as innovation goes, the multiplayer was wildly popular and a large contributor to that was the game modes that 343 never implemented when they got the rights.

That’s in-universe, though. I’m talking about how 343 treats Halo 1-3 like Bethesda treats Skyrim, with constant remakes and discussion. Reach literally just feels forgotten, even the really popular online stuff like Invasion and character customization that doesn’t blow.

Ah I understand now, and yeah, Invasion was the fucking shit. Felt like I was fighting a skirmish in the actual universe. 

• Like 1

Man, This whole thing is really just upsetting to me because Bethesda rpgs are really all I play now. I don’t like other games. I don’t like multiplayer games, I don’t necessarily enjoy other rpgs, but I adore TES and Fallout and now they are going down the drain. I never thought I’d see a day where video games just don’t interest me anymore, but I feel like it’s wuickly approaching

Fuck:dntknw:

13 minutes ago, Centurion said:

Man, This whole thing is really just upsetting to me because Bethesda rpgs are really all I play now. I don’t like other games. I don’t like multiplayer games, I don’t necessarily enjoy other rpgs, but I adore TES and Fallout and now they are going down the drain. I never thought I’d see a day where video games just don’t interest me anymore, but I feel like it’s wuickly approaching

Lorkhan: All good things must come to an end...

• Like 1

Also, Reach did the most to make me feel like a real spartan even if not Spartan II’s. The elites were better than they’d ever been and were never any more intimidating or impressive as they were in that game. 

That was Halo gameplay and atmosphere at its peak, no FPS game has ever reached that level of quality since.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

Also, Reach did the most to make me feel like a real spartan even if not Spartan II’s. The elites were better than they’d ever been and were never any more intimidating or impressive as they were in that game. 

Reach did the Covenant better than any of the other games without a doubt. In 1-3 their threat always feels lessened by the end when the Flood comes in. 

Making it so the aliens no longer spoke English in-game was one of the more low-key fantastic and ballsy moves on Bungie’s part. They wanted to make a serious game, so they completely removed the enemies’ comic relief and they felt way more intimidating from that change alone.

12 minutes ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

That was Halo gameplay and atmosphere at its peak, no FPS game has ever reached that level of quality since.

Agreed. Hell, even from a storytelling perspective, Reach had more damn emotion in it than any of the main series. Freakin’ Jorge. :crying:

1 minute ago, The Good Doctor said:

Reach did the Covenant better than any of the other games without a doubt. In 1-3 their threat always feels lessened by the end when the Flood comes in. 

Making it so the aliens no longer spoke English in-game was one of the more low-key fantastic and ballsy moves on Bungie’s part. They wanted to make a serious game, so they completely removed the enemies’ comic relief and they felt way more intimidating from that change alone.

Agreed. Hell, even from a storytelling perspective, Reach had more damn emotion in it than any of the main series. Freakin’ Jorge. :crying:

You know Jorge is voiced by Colonel Debuku from 24 XD

6e46840646f3258a7febbe98a12dec09.jpg

I was more mixed about the alien voice thing. It was more scary certainly, but I think it got rid of the harsh, but still noble feelings the Elites gave when they spoke. Very proud warriors.

1 minute ago, BigBossBalrog said:

I was more mixed about the alien voice thing. It was more scary certainly, but I think it got rid of the harsh, but still noble feelings the Elites gave when they spoke. Very proud warriors.

I loved it. Making the Elites feel like these noble equals worked for Halo 2 and 3, but Reach was all about them coming to our planet and basically killing everyone in a single day. We were supposed to be terrified of them, not sympathetic.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

I loved it. Making the Elites feel like these noble equals worked for Halo 2 and 3, but Reach was all about them coming to our planet and basically killing everyone in a single day. We were supposed to be terrified of them, not sympathetic.

Besides, they weren’t nearly as badass before. Only real time I felt they were before was when the arbiter and crooky lip were all roaring out their battlecries before fighting the flood. It’s the level where the Arbiter was like “The Demon is here?” 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

Only real time I felt they were before was when the arbiter and crooky lip were all roaring out their battlecries before fighting the flood. It’s the level where the Arbiter was like “The Demon is here?” 

And even then, with that one line he also reminded us why Chief is still way more badass.

edit: On another note, I can hear that line in my head so clearly. XD 

• Haha 1

Just now, ColonelKillaBee said:

Oh and of course the battle that introduced us all to this song:

What is this, 2006 youtube?

2 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

My copy of Fire and Blood came in the mail today. In case anybody was wondering why seven years have passed and GRRM still hasn’t finished Winds of Winter...

Hide contents

This is why. 706 freaking pages.

FBC8986D-8847-432A-8365-498A5F123D0E.thumb.jpeg.65f945a4f0ae248d12ef2de4ea02f562.jpeg

Closest we'll ever get to a Doc selfie XD

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

And even then, with that one line he also reminded us why Chief is still way more badass.

edit: On another note, I can hear that line in my head so clearly. XD 

Rofl same :lol: can’t wait for the good ol nostalgia trip wid my boi.