Roleplayer’s Off Topic Thread #17

Just now, ColonelKillaBee said:

Mods couldn’t even save Fallout 4 let alone this. It’s too bad too because F4 had some very well made polished mods.

I'll still stand by my statement that Fallout 4 is a good, if not great (especially with the DLC), game. Didn't you put over 150 hours into it XD That should qualify it as at least decent. 

Anyways, it's scores better then 76 

3 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

Didn't you put over 150 hours into it

Well it takes like 40 hours just to beat the damn thing. Lot more if you’re doing side quests and the like. But that doesn’t change the fact that it’s the only Fallout game or Bethesda game I haven’t wanted to replay. Definitely wouldn’t call it great. 

The DLC is double edged because on one hand you’ve got quality content like Far Harbor, and on the other you’ve got a bunch of settlement shit that they definitely didn’t advertise for the season pass. Overall it left a more sour taste in my mouth than a good one.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

I'll still stand by my statement that Fallout 4 is a good, if not great (especially with the DLC), game. Didn't you put over 150 hours into it XD That should qualify it as at least decent. 

No. I have 623 hours logged on Fallout 4. That doesn't make it a good game. Certainly doesn't make it a great game. Just because I played it through multiple times so that i could experience everything it had to offer, doesn't make it either of those, because at the end of the day, it leaves a bad taste in my mouth and I have zero desire to ever play it again. Especially when compared to Skyrim where I have 2408 hours logged on Oldrim and 45 on SE because I just did another play through. I still occasionally desire to play the game and have an absolute blast doing it. New Vegas has 865 hours logged (but I'm about 90% sure that wrong because I still haven't earned achievements for things I've done ten times already) and I still do new playthroughes of it ever couple of months.

• Like 3

Fuck:dntknw:

3 minutes ago, Centurion said:

No. I have 623 hours logged on Fallout 4. That doesn't make it a good game. Certainly doesn't make it a great game. Just because I played it through multiple times so that i could experience everything it had to offer, doesn't make it either of those, because at the end of the day, it leaves a bad taste in my mouth and I have zero desire to ever play it again. Especially when compared to Skyrim where I have 2408 hours logged on Oldrim and 45 on SE because I just did another play through. I still occasionally desire to play the game and have an absolute blast doing it. New Vegas has 865 hours logged (but I'm about 90% sure that wrong because I still haven't earned achievements for things I've done ten times already) and I still do new playthroughes of it ever couple of months.

No offense meant, but I always roll my eyes when I see someone giving a negative review with those kinds hours. In my book, if the game occupied you for that long, then....

10 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

No offense meant, but I always roll my eyes when I see someone giving a negative review with those kinds hours. In my book, if the game occupied you for that long, then....

Everyone is entitled to there own opinion. With other games I don’t dumb that much time into it, but in the case of Fallout 4 and early ESO, I forced myself to play them, even though I was unhappy doing it because I wanted to experience the story.

• Like 1

Fuck:dntknw:

29 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

I’ve spent hundreds of bored hours playing minesweeper and Bookworm. Time spent doesn’t necessarily speak much to the quality of the game.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

If i'm not feeling good with the game after five or so hours, I drop it.

For me, I spent the first few hours enjoying how new everything was. Then it got old and I realized it was mostly polish on an overall meh game. Then I spent way too much time hoping the story would get better, finally realized it wouldn’t, and then only finished because it’s Fallout and I wanted to know what happens for future games’ sake. Came back for Far Harbor and was pleasantly surprised, so I came back for Nuka World and was disappointed again. Took me months to finish that DLC after I got to the settlement bullshit.

2 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

Minesweeper is still the game I spent over a hundred hours playing and never knew how it worked :( Still don't know how to play it...

The colored numbers on a tile tell you how many mine tiles are touching it. So if it is a 1, there are 7 safe tiles around it and 1 mine tile. You can use this to figure out which tiles are safe to flip and which ones to avoid (helps to put flags on the bad ones so you don’t accodentally click them).

You can pretty reliably win without guessing except on the expert difficulty. On it, you’ll usually be able get down to a small number of tiles and then have no choice but to take a guess. That’s why minesweeper is a bullshit game and whoever invented it deserves to step on a real mine.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

The colored numbers on a tile tell you how many mine tiles are touching it. So if it is a 1, there are 7 safe tiles around it and 1 mine tile. You can use this to figure out which tiles are safe to flip and which ones to avoid (helps to put flags on the bad ones so you don’t accodentally click them).

You can pretty reliably win without guessing except on the expert difficulty. On it, you’ll usually be able get down to a small number of tiles and then have no choice but to take a guess. That’s why minesweeper is a bullshit game and whoever invented it deserves to step on a real mine.

WHAT DO THE FUCKING NUMBERS MEAN DOC, WHAT DO THEY FUCKING MEAN?!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, BigBossBalrog said:

No.

I have no idea how many hours I put in, but if it were 150, thats nothing for a game like this, and even so, I put in more than that for Inquisition, and that's not because it was a great game bustling with content, it's because there was sooo much fucking walkiiiing and fetch shit, and they filled that in between the actual good nuggets of content just so they could pat themselves on the back for how big the game was...

In the case of Fallout 4, most of my time was spent looking for the actual good quests in the game and trying to find something redeemable about their factions... the only thing I can say about Fallout 4 was the BoS questline was good, and their DLC was pretty dang good too for the most part.

The actual game tho? No they don't get credit for the amount of time I wasted fucking with their stupid ass settlement mechanics thinking there was something more to it and being sadly mistaken.

Fuck that game.

• Like 2

"Even the hardest dick must go flaccid." -Colonelkillabee

I did like the companions too obviously and I'll give them a mention too for their excellent side quests, but once those dry up, that's that and you're back to being bored again... I've yet to do a second "full" playthrough of that game. Not even the BoS questline could get me to do another run through. Sorry Danse. You synth piece of shit

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, BigBossBalrog said:

You know what else occupies my time a lot? Work. And I hate it. 10/10 experience right there lol.

Also taking a shit, and that's hit or miss on whether or not I enjoy the experience.

I can't speak for Centurion but the hours I put in it were basically me hoping desperately to like the game, because I really wanted to and there are good aspects to it. It's pretty, the gunplay is smooth as butter, in comparison to their past games anyway, and there's Cait :love: 

But yea, that's about it. The BoS questline was indeed fun but that's half because in comparison to everything else in the game, it's the only questline that's got competent people in it and not bogged down in cumbersome morality on the nose lessons about stupid friggin robots.

Most fun I had was when I took Doc's advice and started just fucking up the commonwealth as a raider boss. And then bethesda broke Fallout 4 mods, again, with their stupid ass creation club updates.

So again. Fuck that game.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, BigBossBalrog said:

There were good aspects, but overall the experience was disappointing and not engaging. It wasn't as rage-inducingly awful as Dragon Age 2 (which I tried to replay two or three times, figuring there HAD to be more to a Dragon Age game... ha). That doesn't make it a good game.

I'm even more sour on Fallout 4 now that I realize its empty sandbox feeling was a preparation for a vapid, phoned-in multiplayer. Honestly you can see they were moving in that direction even in Skyrim with the radiant quests. I had expected them to take feedback from Skyrim and get rid of that in their next game, but no- we got "a settlement needs your help, I've marked it on your map" quests. That was my biggest complaint with the game after the first 20 hours, when I realized they were all exactly the same and there was no real story involved. I put the game down for a good year before finally making myself go back to it out of boredom, and because I'd spent the sixty dollars after all.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, TheCzarsHussar said:

Red Dead 2 chapter 3 spoilers.

Reveal hidden contents

I am so happy I still went fishing with Dutch and Hosea after rounding up those escapees. The best parts of this game so far are the calm memorable moments spending time with the bunch of characters. Makes it really tragic knowing some people aren't in Red Dead one.

That fishing scene is probably the most human Dutch has felt to me in the whole game so far (I’m on ch4 still). It really drives the message home why Arthur remains loyal to him despite clearly seeing through a lot of the bullshit. Those three go way back, and share a bond that’s even deeper than the other gang members.

Granted, I am pretty sure Dutch has always been a pathological narcissist, but the full extent of that really only starts to reveal itself when things get too tough for him to keep up the “father” act. So even though Arthur lacks faith in him, he couldn’t possibly know how little Dutch actually cares for the gang as individuals.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

So again. Fuck that game.

You know, I had a lot of people tell me on Fallout forums that my dislike of 4 was just part of this cycle where the new Fallout game always gets hated on and the previous becomes beloved in hindsight. That’s why NV is talked about so fondly now despite its average performance.

Now the new, shittier game is out and none of our opinions have gotten better towards Fallout 4. In fact, knowing what they had planned kinda makes me dislike it even more. So yeah, dumbass theory debunked. XD 

• Like 3