Roleplayer’s Off Topic Thread #16

Share your opinion  

7 members have voted

1. 1. Are you tired of these polls?

• Yes
    • No

8 minutes ago, BTC said:

@BigBossBalrog @ColonelKillaBee The reason that video for that game y’all were talking about got pulled is because the lead singer of the band is under investigation for a relationship with a minor. I think that was the source of the backlash against it 

I know :( Apparently he was grooming an underaged fan, and manipulated her into sending him nudes (and wanted to escalate it) despite knowing she was underaged and vulnerable. Capcom just sent out a statement saying there distancing themselves from the band, and there going to try and replace the theme song.

1 minute ago, BTC said:

I feel like Alex Jones (fuck him, btw) fits much better in TES. After all, there are far more goblins in Tamriel 

He's made me laugh a few times, but the dude's certainly a fucking dick (especially in the last few years). He deserved what happened to him. Proof that deplatforming works, cause the guy been made irreverent in a couple weeks.

28 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

I know :( Apparently he was grooming an underaged fan, and manipulated her into sending him nudes (and wanted to escalate it) despite knowing she was underaged and vulnerable. Capcom just sent out a statement saying there distancing themselves from the band, and there going to try and replace the theme song.

Good, it was terrible anyway

"Even the hardest dick must go flaccid." -Colonelkillabee

1 hour ago, BigBossBalrog said:

Completely over the top, but the moveset looks so fucking fun XD

87pjsDN.gif

It looks like the very definition of “get styled upon!” XD If they can have Pandora’s box literally turn into any demon weapon, I’m A OK with a demon motorcycle style.

Its perfect for Dante.

"Even the hardest dick must go flaccid." -Colonelkillabee

7 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

He's made me laugh a few times, but the dude's certainly a fucking dick (especially in the last few years). He deserved what happened to him. Proof that deplatforming works, cause the guy been made irreverent in a couple weeks.

I disagree. As ridiculous as Alex Jones is, that whole thing was clearly a political hit and a threat to other conservatives. Fuck those companies.

7 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

I disagree. As ridiculous as Alex Jones is, that whole thing was clearly a political hit and a threat to other conservatives. Fuck those companies.

Ridiculous is an understand. He waged a campaign of harassment against the parents of the Sandy Hook victims, and then tried to play that off like it was all an act. He clearly broke the terms and conditions of Twitter at least. Hell, the founder of Twitter even intervened to keep him on after the content control people were primed to kick him off before finally relenting. 

Edited by BTC

9 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

He got booted off twitter for harassing a Republican senator in DC. And there was the whole massive targeted harassment of Sandy Hook victims by him and his cronies (he gave them fricken there addresses and shit). The dude isn't  just ridiculous, he's a ridiculous cunt. 

2 minutes ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

Whats the big deal about him?

He’s a conservative conspiracy nut who says crazy things, but recently every major social network kicked him off of their platforms at the same time (except twitter who actually had the sense to dig up some reasons for it and kick him off a few days later than everyone else). 

2 minutes ago, BTC said:

Ridiculous is an understand. He waged a campaign of harassment against the parents of the Sandy Hook victims, and then tried to play that off like it was all an act. He clearly broke the terms and conditions of Twitter at least. Hell, the founder of Twitter even intervened to keep him on after the content control people were primed to kick him off. 

Understatement or not, what I said still stands. He was so obviously targeted for his politics that it almost takes willful ignorance to not see it. Those companies selectively help, hide, or ban their users based on how much they agree with Silicon Valley’s worldviews, not based on their often vague terms of service.

12 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

He got booted off twitter for harassing a Republican senator in DC.

Oh please. He was raising legitimage points (which is rare for Alex, admittedly) and that prick Marco Rubio played stupid. If our politicians are so spineless that that encounter is considered harassment then we’re good and fucked.

Also, asking Rubio questions has nothing at all to do with Twitter. 

12 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

And there was the whole massive targeted harassment of Sandy Hook victims by him and his cronies (he gave them fricken there addresses and shit). The dude isn't  just ridiculous, he's a ridiculous cunt. 

Yeah, and that happened years ago so don’t tell me it’s remotely relevant to this sudden ban by like six different companies all at once.

I didn’t say he wasn’t a cunt, so don’t give me that like I’m a fan of his or something. What I said is that this was a political hit to intimidate conservatives on social media, which it was. 

• Like 1

I’m not a fan of Silicon Valley either and the way they buy influence within the political system. They’re neoliberal and technocratic pieces of shit, basically across the board. But they’re private companies and until there’s something regulating public access or pressure to allow anyone to use their platform, they get to pick and choose arbitrarily. It’s not like they don’t go after leftists either, because they repeatedly do, it’s just most of those folks aren’t as well known as Alex Jones.

But I think social media sites cause more harm than good across the board. A minority of the country uses those services and if all social media sites died tomorrow I wouldn’t be too upset. I think it was a political hit, in the same way they’ve gone after people on the left as well, but I’m not going to go to bat to defend Alex Jones’ privilege to have a twitter account

19 minutes ago, BTC said:

But they’re private companies and until there’s something regulating public access or pressure to allow anyone to use their platform, they get to pick and choose arbitrarily.

A private company can’t falsely advertise its product. As they stand, every one of these companies swears up and down that they are open and unbiased platforms who only operate based on their terms of service. This has led to people across the political spectrum doing business with them and putting lots of money into it. If they advertised themselves as the conservative shadowbanning neoliberals that they are, hundreds of people on the Right never would have invested so much time and effort into them (or would have done so knowing the risk) and you wouldn’t hear a peep from me. 

Trust me, I’m all for a private company being able to do whatever the hell it wants within the law. But these guys are frauds who have profited from lying and have a pretty clear political agenda.

And I’m not batting to defend Alex Jones specifically. He’s just the case everyone’s been talking about and the one Balrog mentioned, which was probably intentional on the Valley’s part since by making such a prolific case out of him, they have made those of us who think it was wrong look bad by association.

2 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

A private company can’t falsely advertise its product. As they stand, every one of these companies swears up and down that they are open and unbiased platforms who only operate based on their terms of service. This has led to people across the political spectrum doing business with them and putting lots of money into it. If they advertised themselves as the conservative shadowbanning neoliberals that they are, hundreds of people on the Right never would have invested so much time and effort into them (or would have done so knowing the risk) and you wouldn’t hear a peep from me. 

They do all the time and regularly get away with it. They only care about making money, and they don't give a rats ass about politics or anything else. If they thought it was more profitable to ban liberals, they would. It's just like Nike banking on the majority of the population supporting Kaepernick. If they thought it was more profitable to deride him, they would. People should never trust that a company will do right by them, regardless of what they advertise or their terms of service say. They make them vague for that very reason. And most of the people in Washington in both parties aren't going to do anything about it either, since companies fund their campaigns and give them cushy private sector jobs when they're done

I guess my position is I don't think politics has much to do with it, since I don't think those companies to care about politics over profits, or only care about politics in so far as it leads to more profits. I do think we agree on the problem of companies operating outside the law, but I think we disagree on for what reasons and the solutions to solve those problems.

7 minutes ago, BTC said:

They do all the time and regularly get away with it. They only care about making money, and they don't give a rats ass about politics or anything else. If they thought it was more profitable to ban liberals, they would.

I don’t buy this for a second. The folks at google were literally crying when Trump got elected, saying shit like they would do everything in their power to make things right going forward. 

These big tec companies have their own culture and political stance, and they prioritize those things when they can. There is no obvious profit in shadowbanning conservatives so people have trouble finding them, and love him or hate him, Alex Jones and Infowars brought them millions in ad revenue. Sure, they’re greedy, but they have agendas that aren’t purely profit-driven.