Roleplayer’s Off Topic Thread #16

Share your opinion  

7 members have voted

1. 1. Are you tired of these polls?

• Yes
    • No

11 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

Sure, they’re greedy, but they have agendas that aren’t purely profit-driven.

I don’t think they’re purely profit driven, but I do also think they wouldn’t have done it if they didn’t think they could make it up through the positive press in the long term.  

14 minutes ago, BTC said:

I don’t think they’re purely profit driven, but I do also think they wouldn’t have done it if they didn’t think they could make it up through the positive press in the long term.  

Which is why I said that Alex Jones was the perfect high profile target to do this with. It doesn’t matter how bad the thing they did was, because he’s already a vilified enough figure that the popular narrative will be against him no matter what. It even happened here on this thread, where an obviously political deplatforming was defended on the basis that he’s an asshole who has done some nasty shit, despite said nasty shit having nothing to do with his actual reason for being banned. 

2 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

Which is why I said that Alex Jones was the perfect high profile target to do this with. It doesn’t matter how bad the thing they did was, because he’s already a vilified enough figure that the popular narrative will be against him no matter what. It even happened here on this thread, where an obviously political deplatforming was defended on the basis that he’s an asshole who has done some nasty shit, despite said nasty shit having nothing to do with his actual reason for being banned. 

I think the accumulation of nasty shit certainly did lead to his being kicked off, though. Him showing up at that hearing was basically the last straw. I think he’d already broken the terms of service of most of those sites but they tolerated him until they got sick of his shit. Hell, he broke them and the dude that runs twitter still let him stick around. I wouldn’t be surprised if something similar had happened in the case of the other tech companies

Edited by BTC

16 minutes ago, TheCzarsHussar said:

You can save him though, it's kinda hard early game.

I know you can save him in-game. I’m talking about in the Afterword. I haven’t read it in a long time but if I recall correctly there’s a part where Hardin Simms blames the Lone Wanderer his father’s death. Seems like an allusion to the Burke stand-off to me since that’s the only way Lucas can die in-game without us murdering him ourselves.

40 minutes ago, BTC said:

I think the accumulation of nasty shit certainly did lead to his being kicked off, though. Him showing up at that hearing was basically the last straw. I think he’d already broken the terms of service of most of those sites but they tolerated him until they got sick of his shit. Hell, he broke them and the dude that runs twitter still let him stick around. I wouldn’t be surprised if something similar had happened in the case of the other tech companies

And they all just happened to get sick of his shit on the same day? Come on, it was obviously a collaborated hit. You could even say that they conspired against the conspiracy nut and you’d be correct in a completely literal sense.

I give Twitter props for having the decency to at least pretend like they weren’t in on it. They usually are the worst of the lot when it comes to interpreting their vague terms of service in a way that gets conservatives with decent followings banned. Though what they ultimately went with was such a poor reason that it’s pretty damn clear they were just waiting to jump on the next remotely controversial thing he did. If his interaction with Rubio is a bannable offense, then 90% of Twitter’s population should be gone by now.

8 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

And they all just happened to get sick of his shit on the same day? Come on, it was obviously a collaborated hit. You could even say that they conspired against the conspiracy nut and you’d be correct in a completely literal sense.

I give Twitter props for having the decency to at least pretend like they weren’t in on it. They usually are the worst of the lot when it comes to interpreting their vague terms of service in a way that gets conservatives with decent followings banned. Though what they ultimately went with was such a poor reason that it’s pretty damn clear they were just waiting to jump on the next remotely controversial thing he did. If his interaction with Rubio is a bannable offense, then 90% of Twitter’s population should be gone by now.

I actually do remember this dude because Tumblr was celebrating his being gone from everywhere but his own site and YouTube at one point until he got taken down from that. And there’s the gay frog meme, at least I think that’s him.

"Even the hardest dick must go flaccid." -Colonelkillabee

1 minute ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

And I’m always suspicious of things Tumblr are against lol.

I don’t feel bad for him, but I do seriously doubt that these different sites, especially Twitter and Tumblr actually care what he’s done. Liberals always have a second agenda.

Everyone banned him at the exact same time except for Twitter, who waited for the very first news story involving him to come out after the bannings... and then banned him for that. Even though it was the tamest thing ever. Basically just a video of him confronting Marco Rubio and asking him questions about social media bias.