Roleplayer’s Off Topic Thread #6

Height of the Roman Empire under Trajan and Hadrian vs Height of the Mongol Empire under Genghis Khan?  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Muh Romans win.
    • Muh Mongols win.

8 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

Well do we have any lore from previous games about the Atlmer's skill in building, and what there infastructure is like?

The Pocket Guide to the Empire described Alinor very vividly. From UESP:

“It was a forbidden city for almost 50 years in the late Second Era, humans only being allowed in the ports at that time. These traders described the city as made from glass or insect wings, which gives the city a beauty that, by any account, would easily rival that of any found on the mainland. Imperial emissaries of the Reman Dynasty described the city as straight and glimmering, a hypnotic swirl of ramparts and impossibly high towers, designed to catch the light of the sun and break it to its component colors, which lies draped across its stones until you are thankful for nightfall.”

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

Why? We been stuck on Tamriel for 5 games. What's wrong with having something new?

First of all, because we haven’t been everywhere in Tamriel yet. 

Second I personally don’t much care about anywhere but Tamriel and it’s history, and third Beth stated the story of elder scrolls lies in Tamriel.

• Like 1

"Even the hardest dick must go flaccid." -Colonelkillabee

6 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

Why? We been stuck on Tamriel for 5 games. What's wrong with having something new?

Because it’s about Tamriel. There would be no common narrative with Akavir. No callbacks or recognizable elements. We’d have no reason to be attatched to any of it and it might as well be a different series.

You want unique? Do Valenwood or Alinor. You want unique with animal people? Do Black Marsh. You want Akaviri? Make them invade again. There is no need to just drop everything they’ve been building for over a decade. 

Just now, The Good Doctor said:

Because it’s about Tamriel. There would be no common narrative with Akavir. No callbacks or recognizable elements. We’d have no reason to be attatched to any of it and it might as well be a different series.

You want unique? Do Valenwood or Alinor. You want unique with animal people, do Black Marsh. You want Akaviri? Make them invade again. There is no need to just drop everything they’ve been building for over a decade. 

That's nonsense. I'm attached to the world of Nirn, and since Morrowind we've been spoonfed stuff about the mysterious East. And it's always existed in the background of the setting, and parts of the games (armor designs, weapon designs enviromental designs, book lore) . Putting it to the forefront wouldn't be anything of the sort of what your suggesting.

Almost everything we know about that land is vague as hell and consists mainly of beings whose whole purpose is to be alien and unknown to us. Their inclusion was only to benefit the world of Nirn from Tamriels viewpoint, not theirs.

• Like 1

Just now, ColonelKillaBee said:

Almost everything we know about that land is vague as hell and consists mainly of beings whose whole purpose is to be alien and unknown to us. Their inclusion was only to benefit the world of Nirn from Tamriels viewpoint, not theirs.

But it's still a recognizable and iconic aspect of the franchise. When you see a set of Blades equipment or Sky Ruler temple you automatically think "That's Elder Scrolls!"

2 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

But it's still a recognizable and iconic aspect of the franchise. When you see a set of Blades equipment or Sky Ruler temple you automatically think "That's Elder Scrolls!"

Yea and I immediately think of Cyrodiil.

17 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

That's nonsense. I'm attached to the world of Nirn, and since Morrowind we've been spoonfed stuff about the mysterious East. And it's always existed in the background of the setting, and parts of the games (armor designs, weapon designs enviromental designs, book lore) . Putting it to the forefront wouldn't be anything of the sort of what your suggesting.

That’s because Bethesda have done a good job of building a world that it larger than the focus of their games. But just because that stuff exists doesn’t mean it would work well in the forefront. The games of the main series all stand on their own, but they are still connected and constantly push forward a common narrative. The story of Tamriel. We follow the Empire as it loses power, the provinces as they gain more sovereignty. The brewing tensions between men and elves, Dunmer and beasts, this religion and that one, etc. 

Akavir would throw all of that away. We wouldn’t get any continued plot threads, and it’d be totally irrelevant to any of the factions and people we’ve come to be invested in. It’d be like if GRRM’s sixth ASoIaF book was set entirely in Asshai and had nothing to do with Westeros.

7 minutes ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

Their inclusion was only to benefit the world of Nirn from Tamriels viewpoint, not theirs.

Yup. And this is how I think the Akaviri should be handled if they ever show up in the games. We should either see them from the perspective of Tamrielics getting invaded, or Tamrielics going there to explore (in a DLC or something). 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

Indeed. An invasion I wouldn’t mind again. As long as there’s more to the games story than an invasion of course.

I think that if TES 6 or 7 finish off the Dominion threat narrative, Bethesda could go in a really cool “Feast for Crows” sort of direction with the storyline, with outside threats like the Akaviri and Maormer invading and raiding parts of Tamriel while it is so badly weakened.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

It looks more otherworldy in the cinematic trailer.

Just saying give it a chance. Besides it....mmo-esque gameplay, I think TESO has done pretty good with the universe. It feels like TES.

Man that trailer was lame as fuck

1 hour ago, BigBossBalrog said:

Online is getting a Summerset expansion. I guess that kinda crosses it off for the next TES game

This too 

Listen, I’m not trying to be a hater or anything but this is why I hate mmos. If they can’t get it right don’t try at all.

I’ll wait and see but just based on this I’m not expecting to be drawn into buying it finally.

1 minute ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

This too 

Listen, I’m not trying to be a hater or anything but this is why I hate mmos. If they can’t get it right don’t try at all.

I’ll wait and see but just based on this I’m not expecting to be drawn into buying it finally.

Well the Morrowind Expansion was pretty great.

Are they even still making money from that? I’m surprised this late in theyre still making expansions. That’s probably one of the reasons why it’s so bland, not enough money to justify going all out.

I have no idea how much money they’re still making just thinking aloud

Just now, ColonelKillaBee said:

Are they even still making money from that? I’m surprised this late in theyre still making expansions. That’s probably one of the reasons why it’s so bland, not enough money to justify going all out.

I have no idea how much money they’re still making just thinking aloud

After WOW it's one of the most popular MMO's out there :D Most people thought it wasn't going to last a year, and here we are. Two major expansions, and a bunch of smaller ones.