The Holy Poll  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Who would win?

• The White Rabbit
    • Tim the Enchanter
    • King Arthur
    • A taunting frenchman

3 hours ago, Centurion said:

It is sentimental though... you like the Orcs so something that can be seen as bad is unthinkable, while you don’t care for the Kings so them getting killed to the last man by an ultra murder death robot army because they don’t want to leave their home is a-okay

Okay, I let this go earlier because I was at work and it pissed me off. Now I can address it properly.

I gave pages of reasons why I thought purging the strongholds (or enslaving them, which amounts to the same thing) was not a great move for the Stormcloaks. IC reasons. I happened to mention that I also OOCly like the orcs, now you and Colonel have seized on it and insist that's my only justification. You disagree, fine, but don't put words in my mouth. I mostly like Skyrim and see the strongholds as a benefit if they can be negotiated with to open up trade. Apparently no jarl or king ever tried, so how is that the orcs' fault?

I also gave pages of debate why despite me disagreeing with House over the Kings, IMO killing him is still worse for Vegas. That in no way justifies his actions towards the Kings. If I had had an opportunity to argue with House about it, I would have. ( @Witchking of Angmar there was also originally an option to talk him down about the BoS, which didn't make it into the final game, but can be restored via mod.) The main thing I disputed was Doc's initial suggestion that House killed them for the lulz, since the game explicitly says otherwise.

Sorry, had to get that out of my system. I do get your point that it seems a flip in how we're approaching a wartime strategic decision. But to me, the situations are different and you got my reasoning wrong, so there's no contradiction.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Celan said:

@Witchking of Angmar there was also originally an option to talk him down about the BoS, which didn't make it into the final game, but can be restored via mod.

Don't know about the mod though, but I think it would have been nice if it had made it into the game. I think it in a way makes sense for the two to join forces as both are technocratic. Though the BoS would have to be convinced to start looking more to the future than to the past. Now that I think on it, such a setup would look very close to the midwest BoS with Barnaky. 

• Like 1

Power corrupts, absolute power... is a whole lot of fun!

10 minutes ago, Celan said:

The main thing I disputed was Doc's initial suggestion that House killed them for the lulz, since the game explicitly says otherwise.

I have no problem with you supporting House, but please don’t put words in my mouth. My very first post on the subject said that he didn’t do it for the lulz. I said that his reasoning was either very bad or based on very poor evidence. That’s not lulz. It’s just shitty.

“Take the Kings. He wipes out a large and blatantly altruistic faction who had no desire for a fight just because they made peace with NCR settlers in a community that House didn’t even treat as part of his domain.”

11 minutes ago, Celan said:

Here.

But fair enough, we just disagree on the relative importance- as we've well established.

That’s not for the lulz. I don’t think he’s some kind of psychopath just because I think he’s willing to do horrible things for poor reasons/based on poor evidence. In fact, I’ve written a lot more in defense of House over the years than I have against him. He’s one of my favorite characters in Fallout for a reason.

Yeah, we do and that’s A-okay in my book. I’ve got no problem with House supporters. I’m just defensive of my own stance. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Witchking of Angmar said:

Don't know about the mod though, but I think it would have been nice if it had made it into the game. I think it in a way makes sense for the two to join forces as both are technocratic. Though the BoS would have to be convinced to start looking more to the future than to the past. Now that I think on it, such a setup would look very close to the midwest BoS with Barnaky. 

Unfortunately there was a lot of cut content in that game. I always like to restore it if I can.

Like I loaded a mod to restore the scene in Dragon Age Origins where you were attacked if you used blood magic in defense of the Tower. Killing Wynne never felt so good.

49 minutes ago, Witchking of Angmar said:

I am glad it didn’t make it in, personally. I think it would’ve been very out of character for both House and the BoS.

If House isn’t willing to take chances with the Kings, then there is no way he will take chances with a “ridiculous” (his word) faction who zealously believe that they should be the sole keepers of the exact kind of powerful weapons technology that House controls. Yes Man can use House’s own technology to calculate that there is an extremely high chance that the BoS will become Vegas’ greatest enemies without the NCR around to keep them underground, even if relations currently seem friendly.

Likewise, Veronica’s entire questline establishes that they are too far gone to change. Even when presented with strong evidence that their current path will get them killed as well as evidence that change would be possible, they refuse to take that path. The Elder even admits that he knows they are going to die out. He still isn’t willing to change.

House was right about this one. The Western BoS cannot be brought around. The whole reason things are different with Barnaky is because he comes from a splinter faction who went rogue for this exact reason. 

@Celan I said what I said because I thought your objections to my plan, and your defense of House was weak. I’m sorry if that’s not how you see it, but to me it is. That’s why it seems to me like the bias was affecting your opinion more than anything else. I stand by that opinion, I’m sorry if that’s not the case, or that’s not how you see it. But I’m sure I’m not the only one here that thinks it. That’s all I’ve got to stay on it. 

"Even the hardest dick must go flaccid." -Colonelkillabee

10 minutes ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

@Celan I said what I said because I thought your objections to my plan, and your defense of House was weak. I’m sorry if that’s not how you see it, but to me it is. That’s why it seems to me like the bias was affecting your opinion more than anything else. I stand by that opinion, I’m sorry if that’s not the case, or that’s not how you see it. But I’m sure I’m not the only one here that thinks it. That’s all I’ve got to stay on it. 

Well bully. It's called an opinion and you're all entitled to your own.

@The Good Doctor He doesn't come to that agreement on his own, but with the Courier persuading him, and IIRC the reasoning is along the lines of the BoS not being a threat- either because they're weak or you've infiltrated them and could take them out later if necessary.

3 minutes ago, Celan said:

He doesn't come to that agreement on his own, but with the Courier persuading him, and IIRC the reasoning is along the lines of the BoS not being a threat.

I know. I just think it is more realistic for House to not be able to be convinced of that. Because I think he’s too intelligent to actually believe such a thing.

You talk about the greater good and why you don’t care about the Kings getting killed then condemn my plan for relocating people sitting on mines full of ore for the war to save their kingdom. Their children.

What am I supposed to think

edit 

and it’s only the ones who refuse to mine the ores but you still object. 

"Even the hardest dick must go flaccid." -Colonelkillabee

Just now, The Good Doctor said:

I know. I just think it is more realistic for House to not be able to be convinced of that. Because I think he’s too intelligent to actually believe such a thing.

Weelll, that faction of the BoS isn't exactly... competent. Or anything.

1 minute ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

You talk about the greater good and why you don’t care about the Kings getting killed then condemn my plan for relocating people sitting on mines full of ore for the war to save their kingdom. Their children.

What am I supposed to think. 

What about the Orcs children?

I think everyone has double standards here. We're all engaging in a little hypocrisy ( Me too, criticising House for fighting for something dead, but doing the same for the Age of fire) Different universes, different context's. We like to call out others, despite us doing the same thing, because of what are interests our.

In Baldur's defense though, i'd think he'd rather them leave peaceful, then kill them (I think his conscious is already collapsing under the weight of what he did to Ulfric) It's why he's getting Dales assistance in relocating them.

It's different then what House did to the Kings.