Roleplayer’s Off Topic Thread #4

Grim Ones vs Emperor's Blades (Third Era)  

6 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

This poll is closed to new votes

2 hours ago, Witchking of Angmar said:

How can someone still care about that conflict? The game is seven years old and I even sometimes forget about it altogether. It's not like Beth will decide which side won as canon because of some random arguments on the internet. 

Six and change :P 

I think for him it’s more about an ego thing. He apparently had a vendetta against me ever since someone shared my bible on one of his videos.

"Even the hardest dick must go flaccid." -Colonelkillabee

1 hour ago, BigBossBalrog said:

https://www.totalwar.com/blog/saba-roster-reveal

"Marib Camel Cataphracts" 

Aren't Cataphracts ahistorical for this time period (classical Rome)?

So instead of "We Wuz Kings and shiet" it should "We Wuz Cataphracts and shit..."

You act like it’s the first time a video game exaggerated the greatness of a culture to make it more interesting to its audience.

We Wuz Greeks in sheit, We Wuz Pharoahs n sheit, the last samurai n sheit, etc.

"Even the hardest dick must go flaccid." -Colonelkillabee

1 minute ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

You act like it’s the first time a video game exaggerated the greatness of a culture to make it more interesting to its audience.

We Wuz Greeks in sheit, We Wuz Pharoahs n sheit, the last samurai n sheit, etc.

Nah it isn't. The new Viking Total War is having Shield Maidens which will all know is fake too. I just find it hilarious they did this DLC when nobody wanted it, and I dont even know who the audience is supposed to be XD

1 hour ago, BigBossBalrog said:

https://www.totalwar.com/blog/saba-roster-reveal

"Marib Camel Cataphracts" 

Aren't Cataphracts ahistorical for this time period (classical Rome)?

So instead of "We Wuz Kings and shiet" it should "We Wuz Cataphracts and shit..."

As a matter of fact, yes.

Just not for the 'Desert Kingdoms', the Eastern Scythians who we now refer to as Saka were, since they were Nomads, most definitely would have nobles and their horses heavily equipped.

It was from these Nomads the Parni originated, who would bitchslap Rome with their Kataphraktoi.

Just now, Centurion said:

Got off early today (before lunch) Going to get tatted today!

You should get a kraken coiling around a ship or some shit.

2 minutes ago, TheCzarsHussar said:

As a matter of fact, yes.

Just not for the 'Desert Kingdoms', the Eastern Scythians who we now refer to as Saka were, since they were Nomads, most definitely would have nobles and their horses heavily equipped.

It was from these Nomads the Parni originated, who would bitchslap Rome with their Kataphraktoi.

But the Africans wouldn't have used them? 

3 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

You should get a kraken coiling around a ship or some shit.

But the Africans wouldn't have used them? 

Nope, that's why I said not for the Desert Kingdoms.

Now the North Africans did indeed use light cavalry and were and were quite skilled, mind you I don't mean horse archers.

The Carthaginians most likely used Hellenic influenced heavier cavalry, but before the Muslims, being influenced by the Persians, conquered North Africa there wasn't any indigenous use of Cataphract-like cavalry.

37 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

Well at least Thrones is coming out in a month. Went from being lukewarm to pretty excited. Still can't believe they went with Africa instead of fucking India...

Anyway, at least I can play my ancestors now

Thrones actually took some steps in the right direction, starting to feel like they're easing in some Medieval 2 esque features.

1 minute ago, TheCzarsHussar said:

Thrones actually took some steps in the right direction, starting to feel like they're easing in some Medieval 2 esque features.

Hope they stay away from it. Medevial 2 was good (great) for the time, but it's super aged. Shogun 2 and Empire we're the height of the historical games.

16 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

Hope they stay away from it. Medevial 2 was good (great) for the time, but it's super aged. Shogun 2 and Empire we're the height of the historical games.

It certainly haa aged but you gotta admit it was at the height of its complexity, not that it was ever a super Crusader Kings esque complex game.

But all titles afterwards were streamlined all to hell, in a way its like comparing Skyrim's dungeons to Oblivion's or Morrowind's.

19 minutes ago, TheCzarsHussar said:

It certainly haa aged but you gotta admit it was at the height of its complexity, not that it was ever a super Crusader Kings esque complex game.

But all titles afterwards were streamlined all to hell, in a way its like comparing Skyrim's dungeons to Oblivion's or Morrowind's.

In terms of campaign, I don't know a single person who played for it's complexity. If you want a complex 4x title, you play Crusader Kings or Universalis Europa. It's always been about the complicated battles. And the battles have gotten more complex. 

And I look at it a different way. Streamlining has improved the gameplay. The settlement system makes it strategic in where you place your stuff. Do you want to make the province a bread farming province or a recruitment settlement? Because it the old titles, it didn't even matter, you could place as many buildings as you want. 

Historical authenticity has also increased exponentially. Spartans are no longer wearing Rome. Athenian hoplites no longer use Macedonian Pike formations. No more Elephant Mounted Elephants. Instead of coming from the mummy, the Egytpians are portrayed as accurately looking like their part of Alexander's army.

1 hour ago, TheCzarsHussar said:

Skyrim’s dungeons were streamlined from Oblivion’s? :huh: Off the top of my head I can’t think of a single facet of Oblivion’s dungeons that I would rank over Skyrim’s. They were linear, unexplained messes and there was no reason to touch like 90% of them.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, The Good Doctor said:

Skyrim’s dungeons were streamlined from Oblivion’s? :huh: Off the top of my head I can’t think of a single facet of Oblivion’s dungeons that I would rank over Skyrim’s. They were linear, unexplained messes and there was no reason to touch like 90% of them.

Exactly. They were less complex, but my first playthrough I never got tired of exploring more dungeons because each of them felt unique. Even the bandit caves.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

Exactly. They were less complex, but my first playthrough I never got tired of exploring more dungeons because each of them felt unique. Even the bandit caves.

I don’t even think they were really less complex. The majority of dungeons were fairy linear in both games, and both had exceptions. Skyrim’s exceptions were a lot more impressive imo. Especially Blackreach. 

48 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

In terms of campaign, I don't know a single person who played for it's complexity. If you want a complex 4x title, you play Crusader Kings or Universalis Europa. It's always been about the complicated battles. And the battles have gotten more complex. 

And I look at it a different way. Streamlining has improved the gameplay. The settlement system makes it strategic in where you place your stuff. Do you want to make the province a bread farming province or a recruitment settlement? Because it the old titles, it didn't even matter, you could place as many buildings as you want. 

Historical authenticity has also increased exponentially. Spartans are no longer wearing Rome. Athenian hoplites no longer use Macedonian Pike formations. No more Elephant Mounted Elephants. Instead of coming from the mummy, the Egytpians are portrayed as accurately looking like their part of Alexander's army.

Now once patched the new games battles are much more enjoyable but I disagree about the campaign map features, plus you're forgetting the biggest reason people love Med2, how modable that game is.

I really don't want go go into a number of pages in argument with you, if you make your reply, I'll read it but wont respond.

13 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

I will say, however, Oblivion has the best individual dungeon. That massive fortress complex that holds Mehunes Razor. That's how you make a Dungeon!

Yeah, that one had it all. New factions, a solid story, good villains, so much loot, and plenty of diversity. Took me multiple sessions both times I went at that one. 

I don’t know if it’s my favorite overall because Skyrim has some real gems, but it’s definitelt up there.