Roleplayer's Off Topic Thread #33

Best Brotherhood Chapter  

6 members have voted

1. 1. Which BoS chapter is your favorite?

• Lost Hills (California)
    • The Citadel (Lyons)
    • Prydwen (Maxson)
    • Hidden Valley (Mojave)
    • Chicago (Rogue Brotherhood)
    • Appalachia (Taggerdy or Expeditionary Force)

28 minutes ago, Celan said:

Right, they turned the Voice into "words of power."

Did they though? I didn't notice anything shown with the Voice being different from either the new one. Besides some story stuff unrelated to the mechanics.

29 minutes ago, Celan said:

You don't have to be 1 to 1 faithful, the Syfy adaptation is still better. They changed a number of things too, especially in the Children of Dune one, but both are very good.

Honestly I couldn't vouch for or against the miniseries' acting because I haven't seen it. But goddamn it has the worst design. The emperor of the known universe looks like a bear pretending to be a fairy, and the bene gesserit look like space cowgirls :rofl:

It's Paul looks even worse of a depiction then the new one!

32 minutes ago, Celan said:

Neither come close to the new one, IMO.

That all said, I liked it. I feel it has some acting issues, the Sardaukar looks like power rangers, and why does everybody use fucking space katanas. Was that how Herbert described warfare in the books?

25 minutes ago, TheCzarsHussar said:

Did they though? I didn't notice anything shown with the Voice being different from either the new one. Besides some story stuff unrelated to the mechanics.

Honestly I couldn't vouch for or against the miniseries' acting because I haven't seen it. But goddamn it has the worst design. The emperor of the known universe looks like a bear pretending to be a fairy, and the bene gesserit look like space cowgirls :rofl:

That all said, I liked it. I feel it has some acting issues, the Sardaukar looks like power rangers, and why does everybody use fucking space katanas. Was that how Herbert described warfare in the books?

Yeah, like "Muad'dib" supposedly being a power word.

You haven't seen it, so not sure how you can say it's a bad depiction?

Paul is described as having an oval face, green eyes, thin nose. Timothee Chalamet fits the description pretty well. The Bene Gesserit being bald in the 1984 movie made no sense- they use sex as a political weapon.

Yes, everyone in Dune universe uses knife fighting. They allude to it in the new movie, the personal body shields have made ballistic weapons obsolete but a thin blade can penetrate a body shield. They aren't katanas, they're shortswords like a gladius.

2 minutes ago, Celan said:

Yes, everyone in Dune universe uses knife fighting. They allude to it in the new movie, the personal body shields have made ballistic weapons obsolete but a thin blade can penetrate a body shield.

And the shields also cause huge explosions when hit by lasguns, if I recall correctly, and it tends to kill the shooter as well.

48 minutes ago, TheCzarsHussar said:

As the other pointed out; fighting with blades is extremely common. It's why blademasters like Duncan are so respected. 

You haven't seen it, so not sure how you can say it's a bad depiction?

Oh I've seen plenty of images. There's nothing under the sun that can convince me that's a good depiction.

Yeah, like "Muad'dib" supposedly being a power word.

I stand corrected, that did become a killing word. But that wasn't using the Voice. In the movie's context it was something about the weirding way conveying certain thoughts and sounds(?) into ways of killing. Which granted is less cool then the crazy ass martial arts of the book.

34 minutes ago, Celan said:

Yes, everyone in Dune universe uses knife fighting. They allude to it in the new movie, the personal body shields have made ballistic weapons obsolete but a thin blade can penetrate a body shield. They aren't katanas, they're shortswords like a gladius.

I don't recall the thinness of a blade being able to pierce the shields, but the slowness of it. I stand corrected a second time as to the prevalence though. They still looked like space katanas to me :P

12 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

And I find it borderline insane; you'd even THINK this design was less ridiculous, and not stupid as fuck.

3f7019178f2779e5d0f957e78ce3a5d9.jpg

They look like the villains from monsters inc.

No no, that was the worst depiction of the og film. The trashmen will forever make me cringe.

37 minutes ago, TheCzarsHussar said:

Oh I've seen plenty of images. There's nothing under the sun that can convince me that's a good depiction.

I stand corrected, that did become a killing word. But that wasn't using the Voice. In the movie's context it was something about the weirding way conveying certain thoughts and sounds(?) into ways of killing. Which granted is less cool then the crazy ass martial arts of the book.

I don't recall the thinness of a blade being able to pierce the shields, but the slowness of it. I stand corrected a second time as to the prevalence though. They still looked like space katanas to me :P

No no, that was the worst depiction of the og film. The trashmen will forever make me cringe.

I mean, it was a good adaptation. I don't know what to tell you. XD Of course they had a low budget but for what it was, it was excellent. As far as goofy costumes, they had nothing on the David Lynch film.

That's what the movie said, "a thin blade," but yes it has to be at a certain speed and other than dart guns, has to be at close quarters. Which goes along with the Dune universe prizing human skills rather than technology.

• Like 1

So I'm seeing fur cloaks vs. hooded cloaks- yeah, I don't get it. What's the big deal? The funny hats, sure. I'm not going to bother posting pics but David Lynch's movie had freaky costumes too. I mean, you posted the bald headed Bene Gesserit, for instance.

Frank Herbert wrote about the Butlerian Jihad. It's the basis for the universe, the reason why the world is the way it is, why spice is needed for safe space travel (because you can't compute trajectories anymore, the Spacing Guild's navigators use prescience to do the same thing) and why there are sects like the Mentats and Bene Gesserit who replaced computers with brain power.

44 minutes ago, Celan said:

So I'm seeing fur cloaks vs. hooded cloaks- yeah, I don't get it. What's the big deal?

Perhaps I used a poor example.

But I'll give a few comparisons on the stylistic differences. Was a pain in the ass finding these pics, of which there are plenty.

Miniseries' Emperor of the known universe, in what I assume is his courtly regalia.

00f1ae8ddaf060d61ff2a9376ab8a78e.jpg

1984's Emperor of the known universe in his courtly regalia. (with trashmen in the background XD)
film-and-television-shutterstock-editori

Now for example Duke Leto in his uniform (not full regalia).
ERpL9gLWoAcsYvW.png

Paul and Gurney in their uniforms.
SFS119-Dune-04.jpg

I cannot even find an image of the miniseries where Paul is in any kind of uniform. House Atreides is a martial house, say what you will about the horrible trashman design of the Sardaukar, which I agree is awful, but I've yet to see a better costume design for Atreides. The new one at least had uniforms, but they were much duller and less ornate than the old movie. This is my own personal opinion, not a point of argument.

Dune-2020-Photo-Timothee-Chalamet-Paul-A
il_570xN.2605815383_kyuu.jpg

In your last example, Paul isn't in ceremonial dress, he's walking on the beach as they prepare to leave Caladan.

But yeah, whatever. The costumes weren't the thing I disliked about David Lynch's movie, it was mainly the story changes.

• Like 1

BTW Villeneuve made story changes too, but all in all I actually ended up liking what he did.

I wasn't thrilled about the change to Liet Kynes' character (from man in the books to woman in the movie), but the actress did a fantastic job and I ended up liking what they did with the character. Also having Jamis be Paul's "desert guide" through his spice visions was inspired. It made a character who was just an asshole in the books, to someone who was instrumental in Paul's character turn from Atreides heir to Lisan al Ghaib.

Now one more post from me and I'll leave you boys in peace.

(not a story spoiler)

hlnaxtwhcsw71.jpg

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Celan said:

In your last example, Paul isn't in ceremonial dress, he's walking on the beach as they prepare to leave Caladan.

I couldn't find an image with just his dress, but he's wearing it underneath the overcoat. 

1 hour ago, Celan said:

it was mainly the story changes.

Which changes were especially poor for you?

I'm worried about the canonical nature of these creation club stuff now there being fully integrated to the game. Alot of the quests to get the stuff are really dumb;  if they don't want full quests, the least they can do is put them in new dungeons and write a little story with journals, since it makes more sense then just giving them to random NPC's.

8 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

I'm worried about the canonical nature of these creation club stuff now there being fully integrated to the game.

I’m just going to ignore them.

Bandits literally can’t wear the Divine Crusader armor, so that one is a bust.

Umbra got destroyed in the novels so it’s gone too.

Sheogorath’s staff is his symbol of office, so there’s no way he’d let the Last Dragonborn have it.

Trueflame and Hopefire are getting added too, and I ain’t buying that shit either. Those should be with the Nerevarine.

It’s mostly stuff like the arena, goblins, spell tomes, and whatnot that I don’t mind. All these important artifacts being forced in with almost no writing to justify it is just dumb.