Civil War Aftermath OOC #1

4 minutes ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

Yea I’d rather have a post be short and to the point than long and full of useless info where nothing happens.

The only problem is that the post would be short with little meat on it's bones, just a brief conversation to avoid boring droning on, men setting sail and that's the end of it.

A few paragraphs, me and Doc are talking in the PM right now about a good idea he had.

We really take for granted how easy it is to cave in tunnels these days. XD Can you imagine being so desperate to keep people from coming through that you resort to capturing a bear, moving it there, and releasing it on your enemies? It had to be a ferocious one too, or the whole thing would just be pointless. So you know it wasn't easy. And this was in a time without tranquilizers and shit. I'd be surprised if they even muzzled that bastard.

Like, how many ideas do you think had to fail before they decided to go with that one?

15 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

We really take for granted how easy it is to cave in tunnels these days. XD Can you imagine being so desperate to keep people from coming through that you resort to capturing a bear, moving it there, and releasing it on your enemies? It had to be a ferocious one too, or the whole thing would just be pointless. So you know it wasn't easy. And this was in a time without tranquilizers and shit. I'd be surprised if they even muzzled that bastard.

Like, how many ideas do you think had to fail before they decided to go with that one?

This was in Anatolia, I don't think people realize how fucking hard ass the people in that region were back then. Hell the Georgians and Armenians could give the Nords a run for their money in terms of their environment, how much more badass can you get then on one hand they were Caucasian tribal kingdoms but on the other fielded fucking cataphracts.

Only read the first post and I kinda liked the beginning and the end, or more precisely the more important characters interacting. The fight with the bandits felt like pointless filler. Partly because I have a hard time seeing anything akin to bandit being able to take up any residence anywhere near Kyne's Watch without there being a temporary new Grim Trial to clear them out before any real banditry could even happen. But also because simple bandits feels like a step down from the battle with bigger and more important enemies like the Thalmor. The whole point of Baldur facing off against someone and telling them to not fight and instead join him against the elves has also been done a few times before so by now it's starting to feel repetitive. 

On a completely different note I recently looked at the dragon language and all the dragon shouts. Every word of power in every shout is a one syllable word. So Tinvaak would probably in actuality be made up of some different words. Just a thought, though I doubt anyone would want to go back and change it. 

Power corrupts, absolute power... is a whole lot of fun!

Most shouts in the game also only have three words that make them up but we saw Miraak add a fourth word. More than that if you count that he has to say the name of the dragon before he devours the dragon’s soul with the shout. And that’s not the dragon dying first either. 

Shouts aren’t all the same. Half the reason they work the way they do and are so limited is because of game reasons.

As for the rest I wanted to set a precedent for something that’ll happen later, which is why I had them be bandits, why they weren’t killed off yet, and why Baldur wasn’t surprised to learn who the bandits really were which is why he stated he’d come there to recruit.

Its also there to set up the new stuff Rebec and Baldur had done with the thu’um. So to me it did not seem like filler.

"Even the hardest dick must go flaccid." -Colonelkillabee

54 minutes ago, Witchking of Angmar said:

Hide contents

Even still, there's no game reason to have all words of power be only one syllable. Unless the voice actors literally got paid by the syllable. Which I highly doubt they was. So it seems why all words of power are one syllable is a couscous lore decision. 

Sure there is, it makes the fake language for the shouting mechanic simple for them to make up. Easier to make a bunch of one syllable words to scatter around than two or three.

In any case there’s enough wiggle room with Miraak and it’s use in the lore that I’m not bothering with such a small issue.

43 minutes ago, Celan said:
  Hide contents

I think it's important we establish the Nords fighting together with the thu'um, which is a new element. That was the main stated reason our characters went to deal with them instead of sending grunts to do it.

I think it would have been more interesting if that was saved for chapter 4 and had been against the Thalmor. 

26 minutes ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

Sure there is, it makes the fake language for the shouting mechanic simple for them to make up. Easier to make a bunch of one syllable words to scatter around than two or three.

In any case there’s enough wiggle room with Miraak and it’s use in the lore that I’m not bothering with such a small issue.

They already have a lot of two and three syllable words that could have worked, yet they chose to not use them. So no, there's no game reason to only use one syllable words. 

• Like 1

Power corrupts, absolute power... is a whole lot of fun!

9 minutes ago, Witchking of Angmar said:

I think it would have been more interesting if that was saved for chapter 4 and had been against the Thalmor. 

They already have a lot of two and three syllable words that could have worked, yet they chose to not use them. So no, there's no game reason to only use one syllable words. 

Yes there is when you remember that the shouts have to in game during combat fire off audio before being cast. Having one two or three syllables fire off a shout is easier as a gameplay mechanic and gameplay perspective and keeps the combat smooth.

Now seriously I’m done with the nitpicking for today. Thank you for your input.

As for saving that for the Thalmor, I’d rather they practice shouting and prepare their tongues before they jump into one of the biggest and most important wars in history...

Like Collins said, they’re getting more and more Nordy as time goes on, and that’s no accident. Baldur aka the Ash-King is following in his believed to be ancestor’s footsteps. I don’t see how it’s any less interesting now, and if I hadn’t shown Baldur prepping and offering to teach his people now and instead waited during the war to show this people would say it was convenient.

Im having him prepare both his “Ysgramor 500” and setting up a precedent for the Nords to be returning to their old ways as a process. Rather than just handing him his horde of Nordy Nords, you get to see how that was built up and how we got to that point which to me both is more interesting and enough to justify the existence of the post we just did.

It also is setting Baldur up more as the one to help bring back the thu’um, and to me it’s important to show these steps now. Or else again people will complain later on when it does happen.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Witchking of Angmar said:

They need to practice,  they already were a bit unprepared which Rebec noted. Finding new combinations and the shield wall breaking because of non-tongues standing nearby, that was all new and I don't think should be something they learn under even heavier fire.

Edited by Celan

45 minutes ago, Witchking of Angmar said:

We’ve seen both Miraak and the Greybeards exhibit their thu’um without specificly using one syllable words, and the lore even describes historic battles between dragons as being more akin to verbal debates than regular fights. That would be a poor description if they were actually just yelling “Fire!” “Ice!” “Force” at one another.

Dragonborn just doesn’t do this because the shouting mechanic is tied to the number of syllables we use. You click for one syllable, and you hold the button down longer to add more. The thu’um is basically streamlined in Skyrim in many ways.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

While there's no lore reason for it, I ask that nobody teach the Roscreans words of power. Even though they are racially Nords/Atmorans it'd be better if the mainland and Rebec's islanders Nords learn, it would break some if the symbolism I've set up if the Roscreans learned to shout.

Edited by TheCzarsHussar

I don’t plan on it being a widespread thing, honestly Arle being taught was really on a whim.

And because we started out with four, then five, now two of the four are dead so now there’s a fourth tongue trainee with a possible fifth again in the future.

I don’t think there needs to be an arbitrary number or limit of course. I just mean I didn’t see a reason against it so I thought “Well why not?” It just kinda works out.

But I also don’t want or plan on there being a bunch of tongues running around in Skyrim either. It just seems fitting that the two most famous ones have students of their own

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

Granted, the islanders are kinda too but they’re recognizably Nordic. And not as far from Skyrim.

On the nose, Celan's using the cool piece of concept art for the islanders. The Fort Boar one, never even knowing of Tiber Septim and his Empire. They are ten times as Nordy than Roscreans who had to live under four centuries of their rule.

• Like 1