Roleplayer's Off Topic Thread #32

Fallout Show  

6 members have voted

1. 1. Where do you hope the new Fallout tv show is set?

• The West (NCR, Vegas, etc)
    • The Midwest (Legion lands, Rogue BoS, etc.)
    • The East (Maxson's BoS, the Pitt, etc.)
    • Somewhere completely new

29 minutes ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

There's a phrase and Im not sure what it is, but it just being teleported miles away to another province because of enchantments alone feels like a stretch to me.

That glacier might not have been the original home of the device, and it could have drifted on sea currents to Skyrim proper in the fourth era. Granted I'm a page behind in replies so I dont know if this is addressed yet.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, TheCzarsHussar said:

That glacier might not have been the original home of the device, and it could have drifted on sea currents to Skyrim proper in the fourth era. Granted I'm a page behind in replies so I dont know if this is addressed yet.

I like that idea, that’s a good point

"Even the hardest dick must go flaccid." -Colonelkillabee

36 minutes ago, TheCzarsHussar said:

That’s a very good point. Red Mountain’s eruption could’ve very easily caused the glacier to drift. 

41 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

That’s a very good point. Red Mountain’s eruption could’ve very easily caused the glacier to drift. 

Now I’m more on board, especially with what you mentioned about the heart beat drawing you into apocrypha as shezarrine.

• Like 1

That glacier drifting there actually makes the most sense come to think of it, even disregarding all the theories. There are no other Dwemer ruins anywhere near that spot in Skyrim, so it most likely isn’t originally from that location.

To add a little more to the theory, we know that most of the Dwemer ruins built in and around Red Mountain were used by Kagrenac for different parts of his research, particularly with the Heart and Numidium.

When Red Mountain erupted, most of these ruins would’ve been obliterated. It’s not a stretch at that the magical lockbox would’ve been pushed out to the Sea of Ghosts by this. In fact, it’s probably the best explanation I can think of for how a giant lockbox could not only have been removed from its underground home, but also relocated such a long distance away. 

More reason to link the lockbox with Kagrenac and therefore the Heart.

"Ooooh, an observant one. How clever to ask of Septimus. This Dwemer lockbox. Look upon it and wonder. Inside is the heart. The heart of a god! The heart of you. And me. But it was hidden away. Not by the Dwarves, you see. They were already gone. Someone else. Unseen. Unknown. Found the heart, and with a flair for the ironical, used Dwarven trickery to lock it away. The scroll will give the deep vision needed to open it. For not even the strongest machinations of the Dwemer can hold off the all-sight given by an Elder Scroll."

"The box contains the heart. The essence of a god. I have devoted my life to the Elder Scrolls, but their knowledge is a passing awareness when compared to the encompassing mind of divinity. The Dwemer were the last to touch it. It was thought to have been destroyed by the Nerevarine, but my lord told me otherwise." "The Daedric prince of the unknown. Hermaeus Mora. I thought there were no secrets left to know. Until I first spoke to him. He asks a price -- to work his will. A few murders, some dissent spread, a plague or two. For the secrets I can endure. In time, he brought me here. To the box. But he won't reveal how to open it. Maddening."

Now you have my Oghma Infinium. It contains the knowledge of the ages as revealed to Xarses [sic], my loyal servant. For hundreds of years it's been shut away from the world. Septimus was a useful tool for unleashing it. Now it is in your hands. Let us work wonders together..."

my only argument to the theory is the direct quotes from septimus. It’s clear HM used the possibility of Shors heart to lure septimus in when really it was to unleash the oghma infinium from the box, tho we don’t know who or how they placed it there.

Fuck:dntknw:

26 minutes ago, Centurion said:

my only argument to the theory is the direct quotes from septimus. It’s clear HM used the possibility of Shors heart to lure septimus in when really it was to unleash the oghma infinium from the box, tho we don’t know who or how they placed it there.

The direct quotes from Septimus all suggest that it is the Heart. Herma Mora definitely used the possibility of it to lure him to open it, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that Septimus was lied to and the Heart wasn’t actually in there.

Mora definitely lied at some point, though. Either to us (about it being the book all along) or to Septimus (about it being the Heart). But the only evidence we have that to suggest that Septimus was the one being lied to is that we find the book instead of the Heart, but that doesn’t mean much when dealing with a Daedric Prince who can place the book wherever he wants whenever he wants.

The Heart actually makes more sense to me. Especially when we have a pretty good idea of both artifacts’ histories and how they tend to work. Mora losing his book immediately after Oblivion inside a box that he can’t open is inconsistent with how the Princes and their artifacts are typically treated. But the Heart of Lorkhan winding up inside a Dwemer trap box after years of Dwemer trickery being done to it is pretty consistent with the path it’s been on.

This would also explain why freeing the Heart in Morrowind didn’t seem to change anything on a cosmic scale. It was freed from the false gods’ abuse, but there is no evidence of it returning to Shor or anything really being different at all.

Compare that to the Mantella, which is a direct parallel to the Heart. When the Mantella was finally returned to the Underking, he was made whole again and Talos the god was (seemingly) fully formed in the mythic. That’s a huge impact. You’d expect Shor’s Heart to reunite with him and have a similarly massive impact, but instead nothing happened. Apparently, the Heart is still lost. I don’t think there are many better culprits for keeping it lost than the Dwemer first and Herma Mora second. 

That quote is interesting though, as it suggests hermaeus mora actually found the heart first, THEN it was locked away. 

If that’s the case then he could’ve easily had the heart the entire time, and the book really was always there by the time we discover the lockbox.

Unless someone else unseen, unknown is another party entirely. It suggests though that someone was aware in its moving vs passive enchantments doing so.

At the very least this theory brings attention to the possibility that Herma mora has the heart or knows where it is.

Or, is searching.

In fact, it is the nature of a daedra to mimic, perhaps Herma Mora mimics the void that is padomay, and thus seduces the shezarrine with dead fake echoes of the real doom drum with knowledge and power of other means.

That would make sense too if his black books are failed elder scrolls. In fact I remember people calling Herma mora himself a failed creation.

40 minutes ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

Unless someone else unseen, unknown is another party entirely. It suggests though that someone was aware in its moving vs passive enchantments doing so.

This is what I think. Someone "unseen, unknown, and with a flair for trickery", he said. I don’t think it was Mora.

Septimus was his agent in this whole thing, and Mora hasn’t been unseen or unknown to him. And I’m not sure why Mora would lie about someone else sealing the box, or why he’d bother to do that just to get some mortals to open it again. It feels very pointless and trolly, like more of a Sheogorath sort of act.

Not to say it’s impossible. I just don’t believe it, myself. Though there are lots of potential candidates.

Vivec is one. He was explicitly working his powers at Red Mountain to contain the Blight while the Nerevarine confronted Dagoth Ur, so he was present in a sense (he also could’ve gone in at any point afterwards if he wanted). We also know that he was ready to give up his godhood, and even looking forward to being mortal again. I could see him having lots of reasons to lock away the Heart. It would remove the temptation from himself to use it again while preventing others from doing what he did. It would also help keep it away from daedra (who he hated), or Almalexia (who he knew was going to be a threat). It would also make for a nice little slice of redemption on his part.

The three Good Daedra knew where the Heart was, so any one of them could’ve played a role. I don’t think it would’ve been Boethiah, though, because I imagine she would’ve either kept it or returned it to Lorkhan.

Azura could’ve done it. She has a good motivation to want the Heart lost and has the power to make it happen. Though I wouldn’t characterize her as having a "flair for trickery." She’s one of the less subtle Princes and tends to be very direct.

Mephala, likewise, has good reasons. Mortals controlling the Heart has screwed her over once already. But beyond that, it would be fitting for the Webspinner to hide the Heart from mortals and later tell Herma Mora where it is, kicking his plan into motion. Mora and Mephala are described as siblings, even among the other daedra, so him obtaining it is likely good for her. This would also explain how he found out where it was to begin with.

Talos, or Wulf. He was there when everything went down (he even gave the Nerevarine a lucky Talos coin and specifically asked that we carry it with us into the Heart Chamber). Hiding away the Heart could’ve been a way to protect his spot in the mythic, or it could’ve been more altruistic, like a burial of his predecessor and an effort to keep his Heart from being abused again by mortals.

• Like 1