Roleplayer's Off Topic Thread #32

Fallout Show  

6 members have voted

1. 1. Where do you hope the new Fallout tv show is set?

• The West (NCR, Vegas, etc)
    • The Midwest (Legion lands, Rogue BoS, etc.)
    • The East (Maxson's BoS, the Pitt, etc.)
    • Somewhere completely new

When the trailer dropped for 76 I was hyped as fuck, then a week later it came out that it was an online fallout with no npcs. Like wtf are y’all doing. The only reason eso is successful is because the stories and lore contributions are amazing otherwise it would have flopped hard, and Beth was like well let’s take that knowledge and throw it out the window. I loved fallout, but I really truly think that I may abandon Bethesda because they keep shooting on their own games

Fuck:dntknw:

4 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

When you compare there output to  FROM, it's clear something was lagging Beth behind. I mean Dark Souls 3, Sekiro and BLOODBORNE.  

Beth games are waaaay bigger than From games. I have more items in my Windhelm house than you can pick up in all of Dark Souls 3.

• Thanks 1

It's always nice when your writing gets reinforced by the canon after you come up with it.

1 minute ago, The Good Doctor said:

Beth games are waaaay bigger than From games. I have more items in my Windhelm house than you can pick up in all of Dark Souls 3.

Yet there's way more details put in XD I always found the fact every weapon type has a unique animation and moveset, yet Beth's games basically reuse them for huge groupings to be ridiculous , considering how much money and people Beth has compared to FROM. 

2 minutes ago, Centurion said:

When the trailer dropped for 76 I was hyped as fuck, then a week later it came out that it was an online fallout with no npcs. Like wtf are y’all doing.

Same. The idea of a prequel game set shortly after the war had lots of potential.

2 minutes ago, Centurion said:

The only reason eso is successful is because the stories and lore contributions are amazing otherwise it would have flopped hard

I wish that were true but unfortunately the vast majority of ESO’s player base couldn’t give two shits about the stories or lore. They skip right through all that.

Fact is, by MMO standards, it actually plays really well. I hate MMOs myself and its gameplay doesn’t appeal to me, but most people who like that stuff are in it for that.

It's always nice when your writing gets reinforced by the canon after you come up with it.

1 minute ago, BigBossBalrog said:

Yet there's way more details put in XD I always found the fact every weapon type has a unique animation and moveset, yet Beth's games basically reuse them for huge groupings to be ridiculous , considering how much money and people Beth has compared to FROM. 

Ironically Ds2 had the most unique weapon movesets. Ds3 has categories with one or two weapons within it to have a unique moveset.

8 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

Yet there's way more details put in 

Not more details. Just different kinds of details. Fromsoft isn’t going to give us a game with 2000 readable books in it or where you can pick up almost every item, or speak with hundreds of NPCs. Their characters and enemies just stand around and don’t have behaviors outside of combat, their days and nights don’t cycle with time. I could go on and on.

Bethesda deserves credit where it’s due. They put a lot in their games. More than most developers for sure. It’s just that they drop the ball on some of the really big stuff.

That’s not to diss FromSoft. Their games are more focused and that stuff isn’t what they’re aiming for. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

Not more details. Just different kinds of details. Fromsoft isn’t going to give us a game with 2000 readable books in it or where you can pick up almost every item, or speak with hundreds of NPCs. Their characters and enemies just stand around and don’t have behaviors outside of combat, their days and nights don’t cycle with time. I could go on and on.

Bethesda deserves credit where it’s due. They put a lot in their games. More than most developers for sure. It’s just that they drop the ball on some of the really big stuff.

That’s not to diss FromSoft. Their games are more focused and that stuff isn’t what they’re aiming for. 

I was going to change my response; yeah I phrased that wrong. Both devs have a different kind of ethos when it comes to devolopment; FROM is focused on immersive combat, while Beth really likes immersive exploration if that makes sense. And when it comes to world building, which both companies love, Beth does it in the form of thousands of pages of fake books, while FROM does it with thousand of pages of item descriptions. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

Oh shit Jon apparently wrote Contact Harvest and original Halo Bible. Apparently he "re joined" the Halo team just a year ago.

*Joseph. 

You had me confused for a minute there. XD 

That is good news though. I liked Contact Harvest. 

I loved how much it went into depth about Johnson. I've always liked him, but he was basically a caricature in the games. 

If you guys want a post-war Novel that's standalone from 5's retarded story, read Shadow of Intent. It's by Staten, it's relatively short, and it focuses on Half-Jaw. 

maxresdefault.jpg

33 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

I loved how much it went into depth about Johnson. I've always liked him, but he was basically a caricature in the games. 

If you guys want a post-war Novel that's standalone from 5's retarded story, read Shadow of Intent. It's by Staten, it's relatively short, and it focuses on Half-Jaw. 

maxresdefault.jpg

The only way I can get back into Halo books is if Infinite doesn't flop hard.

Besides skipping over Forerunner books entirely, I read all the way up to Halo 5's release. Yall all know it killed my drive to read modern Halo novels. The last ones I read were Glasslands, Thursday War and Mortal Dictata. Really enjoyed Glasslands and Thursday War but Dictata was only alright.

1 minute ago, TheCzarsHussar said:

The only way I can get back into Halo books is if Infinite doesn't flop hard.

Besides skipping over Forerunner books entirely, I read all the way up to Halo 5's release. Yall all know it killed my drive to read modern Halo novels. The last ones I read were Glasslands, Thursday War and Mortal Dictata. Really enjoyed Glasslands and Thursday War but Dictata was only alright.

Oh god, I really hated the Kilo Five trilogy XD But to each there own. 

1 minute ago, BigBossBalrog said:

Oh god, I really hated the Kilo Five trilogy XD But to each there own. 

I don't know how much I'd like it if I re-read the trilogy, I kinda want to live on the wave of nostalgia XD

I did re-read Contact Harvest in 2019 and it still holds strong.

That reminds me, back when I was in 6th or 7th grade I had to ask permission from my teacher(s?) to read Cole Protocol at school because it had a gun on the cover. They were cool with it though, I don't think it would fly today lol

Just now, The Good Doctor said:

Ever since they retconned the Forerunners to be a different race from humans, I’ve lost all interest in anything to do with them. 

That wasn't a retcon. It was intended to be the case, but Bungie never confirmed it besides in cut content, and there was enough evidence to go with both possibilities. 343 just choose to make them humanity's sister-race. 

The Forerunner Trilogy made humanity to be super badass, and the Flood was at it's most terrifying, so I liked it.