Roleplayer’s Off Topic Thread #20

Vault 31  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Which experiment would you choose?

• Fill up the population with as many confirmed psychopaths that have yet been convicted of murder.
    • Fill up the population with pacifists but also fill the vault with as much weapons and ammo as possible.
    • Have hidden speakers constantly play tapes backwards that tell the dwellers to do horrible things to each other.
    • Fill up the population with prude people and make the vault suits disintegrate over time.
    • Fill the vault with a ridiculous amount of alcohol and the equipment to make more.

I mean, to anyone else a 4 is complete shit, but even if that is what he called it, slightly below average, for this type of game that sounds about right. I mean, you're forgetting that the bar is set pretty low for stuff like Warframe and Destiny, and whatever the other one was. Anything MMO esque is typically given the kitty gloves by their fanbase.

ESO for instance and my little clique I ended up having to quit swore up and down it was just as good as stuff like Red Dead Redemption "in its own way". 

I get it, not everyone likes singleplayer rpgs or games similar to them, but there's no way in hell anyone can make that leap in logic honestly. There's way more effort put into those sort of games, and though ESO is pretty damn good for an MMO, it's still an MMO. 

However, that's not how fans of those games think. Half of them are saying the loading screens are the cost of the game looking so good and excusing it.

The stuff about grindiness, the same. These are people that happily grind away most of their lives and expect these games all to be extremely grindy as a staple. That's not unusual for them. Warframe which he keeps bringing up for being free is probably even more grindy than this is, specifically because its free to make you want to take shortcuts with $$$

And lol, the AI is also complete garbage.

"Even the hardest dick must go flaccid." -Colonelkillabee

TLDR I'd say below average is still fair, for these types of games. The thing that pisses me off about it isn't that I thought Bioware would make it a shit game, though I had my suspicions as you recall lol, it's that they were wasting time on a game like this at all when their staple is single player rpgs.

These games as a default to me are always shit. It's usually a surprise when I enjoy them even a little, like Warframe.

So a below average game for a genre I already consider shit, is like, double shit.

I'm not going off of genres or anything like that, just the review he gave, which basically can be summed up as "This game really sucks across the board except for a couple decent qualities that do little to salvage how bad it is". If the gameplay is smooth, but constantly ruined by loading screens, bad AI, and soulless repetitive enemies that aren't fun to fight, then that smooth gameplay isn't really worth much, which is why I imagine he spent so little time talking about it. I'd give Destiny a 4 or 5/10, for reference. And to me, Joe made Anthem sound much worse than it.

But again, that's my opinion. I'd have given it a 2-3 based on his review, and would call it a bad game. If you think he only made it sound slightly below average, that's cool too. I'm not trying to change your mind or anything.

1 hour ago, The Good Doctor said:

I've felt for a while now like Joe's reviews and his final scores don't really match up. That review did not feel like it matched a 4/10, slightly below average game at all. It felt like a 2 or 3 at the most. The only good things he had to say were that the graphics were nice and that the flying was fun and well done but not used very creatively. The rest was just him slamming it.

Considering he gave Fallout 76 3/10, 4/10 is pretty damning too. He will sometimes give leeway to games that he feels can be better. I agree though, he really savaged it all in all. 

• Like 1

@The Good Doctor

I know, but I’ve seen him explain his scores before and that’s typically how he considers things. Im not arguing against your opinion, but you mentioned you thought it didn’t match his review so I just thought I’d explain the likelihood as to why.

1 minute ago, Celan said:

Considering he gave Fallout 76 3/10, 4/10 is pretty damning too. He will sometimes give leeway to games that he feels can be better. I agree though, he really savaged it all in all. 

That’s true and the video Balrog posted before said he wanted to lean less on the loading screen stuff for his final judgement, because they fixed the loading times in a patch.

However, it was bad enough and they’re still numerous enough that he still mentions them. Which makes sense to me, first impressions.

Also, the slightly below average thing was me quoting you, I don’t actually remember him saying that for his ratings but I take your word for it.

A 4 to me isn’t below average. I would say six is average, seven is good. Five would be below average and everything below is just shit to a different degree

Edit: And average, or below average is pretty damning for a game. Who’s gonna shell out 60 bucks for a below average game?

Also also, I think he stated he usually saves the lowest of low scores for games that are a buggy mess and have lots of technical issues

12 minutes ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

Also, the slightly below average thing was me quoting you, I don’t actually remember him saying that for his ratings but I take your word for it.

And I was quoting him. He said it right after he gave the game a 4. It only stood out to me because I spent 40 minutes listening to him slam the game and then call it slightly below average, which seemed weird to me as that wasn't my takeaway from the actual review at all, which I agree was pretty damning.

Well anyway like I said, even with that being the case I think it fits. It may be shit but if we're going by F76 as an examples of 2's and 3's since he lowered the score after the initial video, those are reserved for games that are both bad and also glitchy messes.

Just now, ColonelKillaBee said:

I see, I just assumed it would be the entire thing.

We left off with them basically just opening it up wide enough for the army of the dead to march through. It didn't look like more was coming down at the time, but hopefully it does. Because you don't put a giant ice wall in your story and not knock it down. :P 

I mean, isn't that all you need? I thought the whole purpose of the wall was to keep that specifically from happening. It wasn't just a small army either it looked like his entire army.

And maybe the wall in the books is bigger or something but in the show it looked pretty much completely devastated. 

Looking at the vid again, it does seem to be a lot bigger than I initially thought lol but yea I still dont understand the significance of the entire wall crumbling or just a portion when his army still gets through.

Aside from it just being cool of course.

Just now, ColonelKillaBee said:

I mean, isn't that all you need? 

Yes. I want it to fall for the spectacle. Not because the White Walkers need it too.

1 minute ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

And maybe the wall in the books is bigger or something but in the show it looked pretty much completely devastated. 

A small segment gets completely devastated. Enough to march an army through. But the majority of the Wall was still standing when we left off. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

Ah k, that clears it up. I thought I was missing something about the white walkers and their strength/numbers.

Far as I know, that’s still a total mystery. But knowing what we do about the human population north of the Wall who didn’t get brought south by Stannis or Jon, they should easily number in the hundreds of thousands. Much bigger than all the remaining armies of Westeros combined.

Just now, The Good Doctor said:

Far as I know, that’s still a total mystery. But knowing what we know about the human population north of the Wall who didn’t get brought south by Stannis or Jon, they shout easily number in the hundreds of thousands. Much bigger than all the remaining armies of Westeros combined.

Not to mention they have the remaining giants, giant megafauna zombies, and who knows what fucking else. 

Just now, The Good Doctor said:

Far as I know, that’s still a total mystery. But knowing what we know about the human population north of the Wall who didn’t get brought south by Stannis or Jon, they shout easily number in the hundreds of thousands. Much bigger than all the remaining armies of Westeros combined.

Stupid question but aren't there still the armies of Essos? I can't remember if there was anything that ever happened in the show that devastated their states.