Roleplayer’s Off Topic Thread #3

Alright since Balrog might text wall I'll do as well.

The Indo-Iranians are actually a fairly large branch, from the Scythians in Europe to the Farsi in Persia.

Now the majority of lighter skinned Iranians in Persia would have normally been in the north, what's not really understood is northern Iran is fertile and mountainous which in winter actually snows. This is in the same country that houses deserts, heat and sun.

Now Balrog, archeology has found the Scythians and Saka to be (This is a mouthful) Caucasianoid Iranian speaking peoples. From Hellenic depictions and descriptions to actually finding mummified bodies.

The Parthians are descended from the Parni tribe within the Dahae Confederation, the Dahae being a Saka people.

As you know during the weakening Seleucid rule in the east the Parthians would eventually end up ruling the entire Iranian plateau, it was after this period that Roman, Asian, Egyptian and even Indian depictions started depicting the Persians as lighter skinned.

As for the Sassanids?

That's harder to answer because the Sassanids were a native Iranian dynasty unlike the once nomadic Parthians, however a clue to this is how the major Parthian noble clans still ruled during Sassanid Persia. However again the native artworks still depicted darker skinned Persians, foreign ones depicted the lighter ones.

Some clues could be how the Indians in their caste based culture were obsessed with light skin.

Alright Balrog crisis averted, no need for long arguments on race. Plus I love talking about the Ancient Iranians anyhow :P

• Like 1

And for the record, yea I know modern Persians are rather light skinned for the most part. And that a lot of them looked the same in the past too. There’s a lot of mixing and changing of genetic makeup in history. Ancient Persians were no different and a lot of them were indeed darker. Not African, thank god. But brown.

• Like 1

"Even the hardest dick must go flaccid." -Colonelkillabee

Just now, ColonelKillaBee said:

And for the record, yea I know modern Persians are rather light skinned for the most part. And that a lot of them looked the same in the past too. There’s a lot of mixing and changing of genetic makeup in history. Ancient Persians were no different and a lot of them were indeed darker. Not African, thank god. But brown.

Yep, from the Parthians to Turks, to Mongols Persia exchanged hands many times.

• Like 1

I may be late to the whole American War of Independence discussion but I'd recommend watch this video series. It's kinda a miracle the US happened at all as the initial states were so busy bickering among themselves and being so self centered. 

Power corrupts, absolute power... is a whole lot of fun!

23 minutes ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

Like it would be any different anywhere else if “States” decided to try and band together and unite into a larger country and under such conditions

Just watch the bloody videos. I find them very informative since that war is generally portrayed as a very black and white affair.

Power corrupts, absolute power... is a whole lot of fun!

Believe me, I know it wasn’t black and white, and I know that the United States’ forming was very situational. I’m just saying, it couldn’t have happened realistically any other way.

Also I really should go to sleep, but I’ll give the videos a watch later.

"Even the hardest dick must go flaccid." -Colonelkillabee

2 hours ago, Witchking of Angmar said:

I may be late to the whole American War of Independence discussion but I'd recommend watch this video series. It's kinda a miracle the US happened at all as the initial states were so busy bickering among themselves and being so self centered. 

Yes it was messy, we did fight a brutal civil war only a generation or two later. But I think it produced a good thing in the federal system, and it's only since WWI and the unconstitutional sedition acts that people feel more beholden to a central government than to their state. Now the pendulum has swung way too far in the direction of a federal government running everything. IMO we should barely know the name of the President and care very little what Washington does. Everything other than basic infrastructure and defense is better run out of state governments.

I personally feel very little loyalty to our federal government. They're the hostile occupying power now, and an incredibly greedy one.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Celan said:

Yes it was messy, we did fight a brutal civil war only a generation or two later. But I think it produced a good thing in the federal system, and it's only since WWI and the unconstitutional sedition acts that people feel more beholden to a central government than to their state. Now the pendulum has swung way too far in the direction of a federal government running everything. IMO we should barely know the name of the President and care very little what Washington does. Everything other than basic infrastructure and defense is better run out of state governments.

I personally feel very little loyalty to our federal government. They're the hostile occupying power now, and an incredibly greedy one.

My ancestors fought to bring this country about, and then a two generations later fought to break it apart. I’ve had grandfathers in every American War. Hell, as you guys know, I’m in the fuckin Army right now, but if the federal government does anything that I consider unconstitutional enough to warrant it (example being a federal ban on firearms, which will never happen, but you know as an example) I’ll rip the flag off my shoulder. I’m more loyal to my state/region than I am an centralized federal government. The reason being, I don’t agree with people from California or New York, we have vastly different world views, but some one from Texas, Tennessee, Georgia etc. sure we’ll disagree on something’s, but overall we think the same and view shit the same.

• Like 2

Fuck:dntknw:

Yeah so the Army likes to fuck with me apparently. It was put out yesterday by the company commander that I was flying out today. Every Drill Sergeant received the message and the First Sergeant told me directly to my face. Then when we got back from the range, I was told to call Sgt. Muhammad, the paper work guy, and find out when exactly I was supposed to leave and he said he didn’t know, could be today, probably sometime this week.... :violin:

Fuck:dntknw: