Roleplayer’s Off Topic Thread #3

1 minute ago, The Good Doctor said:

And such a badass one at that. I love how they decided give Noble 6 an ambiguous background by basically running a black marker over his files and saying that shit was classified by ONI.

Basically “The guy you’re controlling is scary even for a Spartan. That’s all you need to know.”

We know a little. Basically he was a pilot in the Saber Program, and was an assassin who used to wipe out entire Innie groups from existence single handed. Crazy good assassin.

And such a badass one at that. I love how they decided give Noble 6 an ambiguous background by basically running a black marker over his files and saying that shit was classified by ONI.

Basically “The guy you’re controlling is scary even for a Spartan. That’s all you need to know.”

Of all the endings with gameplay I swear, Halo Reach's was perfect.

You drive to salvation two times, slay the Brute chieftain, don'trememberodst and escape on the Spirit of Fire.

But Reach?

You're a doomed man that fights off wave after wave amidst countless bodies of soldies that tried the same, think you can make it? Think you're so badass you'll somehow pull through? The moment it dawns on your this is how it ends, it was the most powerful gameplay ending of any Halo.

• Like 1

Just now, ColonelKillaBee said:

Even Chief would’ve died there I think. They were doomed from the start. So sad, imagine if noble six escaped? Or the whole team.

I'm glad they didn't, the story wouldn't have the same tone. You know how it ended from the books and games, you get to live it and to see the team or even just Noble 6 survive would have taken away from it somehow.

Then again Jun survived.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

What’s the deal with that anyway, he fucked off on some Forerunner bunker planet with Dr Halsey right? Well we’re is he in Halo 4?

As for the story I’m glad they didn’t make it too but just imagine anyway if they did. 

He went with Halsey to castle base, but disappeared before Blue Team arrived to extract her. After that he become a recruiter (and second in command) of the new SPARTAN branch.

9 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

We know a little. Basically he was a pilot in the Saber Program, and was an assassin who used to wipe out entire Innie groups from existence single handed. Crazy good assassin.

I know, but all that came later. In the game we basically just got what I mentioned.

8 minutes ago, TheCzarsHussar said:

Of all the endings with gameplay I swear, Halo Reach's was perfect.

The moment it dawns on your this is how it ends, it was the most powerful gameplay ending of any Halo.

Agreed. That final level in Reach is one of the best in Halo. There are plenty of games where the protagonist dies, but 9 times out of 10 it’s on a cutscene and we’re sitting here thinking “Bullshit. If I was controlling him, we’d have made it.”

I loved how Reach just sets you loose and has you struggle and fight alongside Noble 6 to the bitter end. Even the greatest Spartan/player couldn’t stop what happened at Reach. Making us try really drove that home.

• Like 1

Agreed. That final level in Reach is one of the best in Halo. There are plenty of games where the protagonist dies, but 9 times out of 10 it’s on a cutscene and we’re sitting here thinking “Bullshit. If I was controlling him, we’d have made it.”

I loved how Reach just sets you loose and has you struggle and fight alongside Noble 6 to the bitter end. Even the greatest Spartan/player couldn’t stop what happened at Reach. Making us try really drove that home.

Couldn't have said it better.

• Like 1

I know, but all that came later. In the game we basically just got what I mentioned.

Nope! Emile mentions the Saber Pilot thing in game, and Halsey mentions him massacring entire militia groups by himself in one of the trailers.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

Kinda like Red Dead

• Like 1

"Even the hardest dick must go flaccid." -Colonelkillabee

3 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

Nope! Emile mentions the Saber Pilot thing in game, and Halsey mentions him massacring entire militia groups by himself in one of the trailers.

Ah I forgot about the Saber Pilot thing. You’re right! Though that only added to his mysteriousness honestly. Its like “wait, the new guy can pilot a Saber? Just who the hell are you?!”

Haven’t seen the trailers in years but I played that campaign over and over. You’ll have to forgive me for forgetting some stuff from them. 

5 minutes ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

Kinda like Red Dead

I was thinking of Red Dead, too. Another game with a near-perfect ending. 

Though if I had full control over John, I’d have chucked dynamite out that door and finished off the stragglers with my mauser like an asshole. XD So Reach has it beat in terms of giving the player full control. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, TheCzarsHussar said:

Hey Colonel remember your favorite cutscene from Halo 2?

Watch this, I marked the point at which they make some rather interesting remarks about it.

XD it really shouldn’t have worked so well but by God, it did. 

The first time I came was when I watched that scene.

"Even the hardest dick must go flaccid." -Colonelkillabee

1 minute ago, TheCzarsHussar said:

The start of ODST where you get to look out of the pod on the way down to Earth?

Yeah that was actually something they wanted to do with Halo 2 but the Xbox couldn't handle it at the time.

I saw where they mentioned that in the commentary you linked. The level where Chief and the ODST drop onto the second Halo ring. I'm glad they did it so well in ODST. Coming down over New Mombasa while Regret's ship jumped to slipspace below was so awesome.

• Like 1