Roleplayer’s Off Topic Thread #2

2 minutes ago, Centurion said:

Imperials have Roman sounding names and influenced armor and it’s the end of the world

And zero culture to speak of in the game set in their homeland. That's what did it for me. Skyrim just tried to put a bandaid on this by randomly making them full-blown Romans, which wasn't any more interesting than what we had before. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, BTCollins said:

Oooh, a post in Morrowind? I'm excited for that. And to see what Witch does with the Argonians. I think we'll be getting lots of cool new stuff come Ch. 4

I've almost written the first post set in Black Marsh. Though it's for chapter 4. Also I think Doc was preliminary open to taking control of Morrowind last I talked with him. 

Power corrupts, absolute power... is a whole lot of fun!

Just now, BTCollins said:

You got a link to it?

http://colonelkillabee.tumblr.com/post/100324601840/im-curious-why-do-you-like-boethiah

Its a long read but informative. 

Some of the pic links are missing, they’re just comparing old pics of Molag Bal’s statues to that of Ba’al, and Moloch.

"Even the hardest dick must go flaccid." -Colonelkillabee

Just now, The Good Doctor said:

And zero culture to speak of in the game set in their homeland. That's what did it for me. Skyrim just tried to put a bandaid on this by randomly making them full-blown Romans, which wasn't any more interesting than what we had before. 

But Skyrim didn’t make them full blown Romans tho. Our big exposure to the Imperials in Skyrim was the Legion which is pretty in line with the Legion we saw in Morrowind and Oblivion, plus they are a dying Empire at war.

The civil Imperials weren’t Romanised anymore than usual and the Legion was as it pretty much always has been

Fuck:dntknw:

4 minutes ago, Centurion said:

But Skyrim didn’t make them full blown Romans tho. Our big exposure to the Imperials in Skyrim was the Legion which is pretty in line with the Legion we saw in Morrowind and Oblivion, plus they are a dying Empire at war.

The civil Imperials weren’t Romanised anymore than usual and the Legion was as it pretty much always has been

The Legion hasn't always been that Roman. And in fact, since this was specifically a Skyrim Legion made up of locally conscripted Nords, so it should've been considerably less Roman than what we've seen from the Legions out of Cyrodiil. We know Bethesda thought this at some point as well because of all their amazing concept art of the Nordic Legions.

• Like 1

Just now, The Good Doctor said:

The Legion hasn't always been that Roman. And in fact, since this was specifically a Skyrim Legion made up of Nords, so it should've been considerably less Roman than what we've seen from the Legions out of Cyrodiil. We know Bethesda thought this at some point as well because of all their amazing concept art of the Nordic Legions.

Fuck, Viking'd

4 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

The Legion hasn't always been that Roman. And in fact, since this was specifically a Skyrim Legion made up of Nords, it should've been considerably less Roman than what we've seen from the Legions out of Cyrodiil. We know Bethesda thought this at some point as well because of all their amazing concept art of the Nordic Legions.

The Legion has always been pretty Roman. Hell, they pretty much had copy paste uniforms in Morrowind for the lower tier troops. 

As for the make up of the Legion in Skyrim. Sure I’ll give you that. They did change the rank system around to be more Roman. But I think it fits, considering that the Empire we see, truly isn’t the Empire we knew in the older games. The old Septim dynasty died. The Ruby Throne has changed hands threw war and what not over the last 200 years.

edit: Yes it’s a Nordic Legion, but let’s be honest, did we expect Beth to follow through? Lol. It can explained away by the fact that sure it’s a Nordic Legion, under the control of an Imperial General. Not to justify beth’s laziness

Edited by Centurion

Just now, Centurion said:

The Legion has always been pretty Roman. Hell, they pretty much had copy paste uniforms in Morrowind for the lower tier troops. 

As for the make up of the Legion in Skyrim. Sure I’ll give you that. They did change the rank system around to be more Roman. But I think it fits, considering that the Empire we see, truly isn’t the Empire we knew in the older games. The old Septim dynasty died. The Ruby Throne has changed hands threw war and what not over the last 200 years.

But it changed hands into a Colovian dynasty.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TheCzarsHussar said:

But it changed hands into a Colovian dynasty.

Yeah I know. And you guys love truppeting the Colovians as “southern Nords” because there used to be a lore precedence, but that whole thing is equally as cheap to me as being more Roman is to y’all.

Just now, Centurion said:

Yeah I know. And you guys love truppeting the Colovians as “southern Nords” because there used to be a lore precedence, but that whole thing is equally as cheap to me as being more Roman is to y’all.

I wouldn't consider all Colovians as 'Southern Nords', mostly those around Bruma which also has a sizable Nordic population too.

11 minutes ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

http://colonelkillabee.tumblr.com/post/100324601840/im-curious-why-do-you-like-boethiah

Its a long read but informative. 

Some of the pic links are missing, they’re just comparing old pics of Molag Bal’s statues to that of Ba’al, and Moloch.

It was long, but I think I managed to understand it. Only semi-related, but I wonder how this relates to the worship of Malacath by the Orcs, versus the Orcs that worship Trininac. Does Malacath hate Boethiah? Or is it just ‘Trinimac,’ even though he’s not around anymore. How would the Orcs, then, view Boethiah?

Also, only semi-related, but apparently the game Daggerfall says, somewhere (though I can’t find where) that Boethiah and Mephala are enemies of Peryite. I was wondering what y’all think the reasons might be for that, since y’all know more about that stuff than I do. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Centurion said:

As Czar pointed out, the Morrowind Legion kits were a lot more diverse and less stereotypical Roman. Some of them had Roman influences, sure, but there was a lot more than your standard shitty leather skirt. 

MW-item-Imperial_Armor.jpg

6 minutes ago, Centurion said:

edit: Yes it’s a Nordic Legion, but let’s be honest, did we expect Beth to follow through? Lol. It can explained away by the fact that sure it’s a Nordic Legion, under the control of an Imperial General.

General Tullius didn’t bring thousands of suits with him. Haafingar basically funded the war and kitted the troops, according to dialogue in the Blue Palace. 

3 minutes ago, Centurion said:

Not southern Nords, but certainly closer to Nordic than any of the other races. Lots of fur, veneration of Shezzar, sometimes even by the name of Shor. But military with more emphasis on soldier culture than warrior culture.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BTCollins said:

Also, only semi-related, but apparently the game Daggerfall says, somewhere (though I can’t find where) that Boethiah and Mephala are enemies of Peryite. I was wondering what y’all think the reasons might be for that, since y’all know more about that stuff than I do. 

Morrowind established a lot of extremely random feuds between various Princes. I’m sure they have their reasons or that we could think up some if we sat on it, but as far as I know there is no real mention of this outside of that one book. 

3 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

As Czar pointed out, the Morrowind Legion kits were a lot more diverse and less stereotypical Roman. Some of them had Roman influences, sure, but there was a lot more than your standard shitty leather skirt. 

You know it's strange that Morrowind pulled off the Imperial Plate without feeling generic European so what caused the fuck-up with Oblivion?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

General Tullius didn’t bring thousands of suits with him. Haafingar basically funded the war and kitted the troops, according to dialogue in the Blue Palace. 

Not southern Nords, but certainly closer to Nordic than any of the other races. Lots of fur, veneration of Shezzar, sometimes even by the name of Shor. But military with more emphasis on soldier culture than warrior culture.

Never said every armor was Roman, but my point still stands.

Anyway, I’m tired of this argument. My final words are, I don’t think the Imperials should become generic Roman, and I don’t think they should be generic European or watered down Nords. I like the Roman influence they have and think they should have it in other areas as well as having uniqueness to their culture, like how the Nords are Norse as fuck, but still unique.

4 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

Morrowind established a lot of extremely random feuds between various Princes. I’m sure they have their reasons or that we could think up some if we sat on it, but as far as I know there is no real mention of this outside of that one book. 

What book is that? The pages for Mephala and Peryite have no citation for the feud, and the one for Boethiah only cites the “events of Daggerfall”. Also, even though Boethiah and Mephala are allies, apparently so are Mephala and Malacath. I wonder why that is

Just now, BTCollins said:

What book is that? The pages for Mephala and Peryite have no citation for the feud, and the one for Boethiah only cites the “events of Daggerfall”. Also, even though Boethiah and Mephala are allies, apparently so are Mephala and Malacath. I wonder why that is

Sorry, I meant Daggerfall. Not Morrowind. 

I can’t remember the title but I do remember a book that goes into all the known and suspected Princes, and iirc lists the ones who hate each other. I’ll see if I can find it. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Centurion said:

like come on Bethesda? You couldn’t wait until you did High Rock again to put this shit out? Ugh. Lol

XD I actually really like that set, but yeah, it’s super Breton. Maybe if it had been unique to the Cyrodiilic knightly orders like the Knights of the Thorn (who did all wear it) or the White Stallion Lodge. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Centurion said:

CEB134B3-A589-456B-8A95-FD12E75D7446.thumb.png.12ee270e06ede1c93537be0b130655e5.png

like come on Bethesda? You couldn’t wait until you did High Rock again to put this shit out? Ugh. Lol

Like even the Steel Plate looks less badass than Morrowind's, which looked Breton.

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/elderscrolls/images/3/38/Ancient_Steel_Armor_-_Morrowind.png/revision/latest?cb=20160709201325

1 minute ago, The Good Doctor said:

XD I actually really like that set, but yeah, it’s super Breton. Maybe if it had been unique to the Cyrodiilic knightly orders like the Knights of the Thorn (who did all wear it) or the White Stallion Lodge. 

That’s what I’m sayin. When I play Bretons, which is almost never, like >1% of the time I rock that set because it fits and feels good. But on an Imp? Nahhhh man. Killin my vibes bruuuuh

• Haha 1