Roleplayer's Off Topic Thread #41

Just now, The Good Doctor said:

Seems like the same story as the first game, just happening again. Guess it makes sense given that it’s canonically meant to be a cycle, but hopefully there are some twists in store.

Apparently it takes place on an alternate version of Gran Soren. But yeah. 

Loving the enemy diversity: I saw Minotaur and fucking Talos from Greek Mythology 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

Loving the enemy diversity: I saw Minotaur and fucking Talos from Greek Mythology 

The second video you linked has a lot more Talos in it. Looks pretty much like you’d hope for from a boss of that scale.

I liked the Pawn specialization, like elf followers knowing how to speak the elven language and translating for you. Though the dialogue still sounds as awkward as in the original. XD 

The new trickster class looks cool. Pretty unique for a singleplayer RPG, both visually and in gameplay.

4 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

The second video you linked has a lot more Talos in it. Looks pretty much like you’d hope for from a boss of that scale.

I liked the Pawn specialization, like elf followers knowing how to speak the elven language and translating for you. Though the dialogue still sounds as awkward as in the original. XD 

The new trickster class looks cool. Pretty unique for a singleplayer RPG, both visually and in gameplay.

"WOLVES HUNT IN PACKS ARISEN!"

"LOOK OUT HARPY! HARPY!"

• Haha 1

Coincidentally, 343 released another short story based on one of the new Infinite Maps. Apparently the Banished have now expanded there operations against the Swords of Sanghelios (The Arbiter's Faction of the covenant remnant); and are harrying their moons. The UNSC has consolidated it's forces and are doing joint-operations with the Swords. Like the key art alot. 

WC_BloodMoon.jpg

https://www.halowaypoint.com/news/halo-battle-for-the-blood-moon

Some cool lore bits; 

1. There's a task force of Spartan 4's and 3's who are lent to the Swords to be under the personal command of the Arbiter and to be used in anyway he sees fits. These Spartans have all taken Sangheili names: at first it was to integrate them with their alien comrades, but alot of them are starting to gradually absorb and adapt Sangheili customs/culture as their own. As a result, alot of UNSC service members are becoming very distrustful of them. I love this. 

2. There's a fair amount of Jackal snipers on the Arbiters payroll; most of them are demented, yet have gone on to loveeeee human rifles over there own, and are obsessed with DMR's, Battle Rifiles, and the Anti-Material Snipers. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BigBossBalrog said:

Coincidentally, 343 released another short story based on one of the new Infinite Maps. Apparently the Banished have now expanded there operations against the Swords of Sanghelios (The Arbiter's Faction of the covenant remnant); and are harrying their moons. The UNSC has consolidated it's forces and are doing joint-operations with the Swords. Like the key art alot. 

WC_BloodMoon.jpg

https://www.halowaypoint.com/news/halo-battle-for-the-blood-moon

Some cool lore bits; 

1. There's a task force of Spartan 4's and 3's who are lent to the Swords to be standby under the personal command of the Arbiter and to be used in anyway he sees fits. These Spartans have all taken Sangheili names: at first it was to integrate them with their alien comrades, but alot of them are starting to gradually absorb and adapt Sangheili customs/culture as their own. As a result, alot of UNSC service members are becoming very distrustful of them. I love this. 

2. There's a fair amount of Jackal snipers on the Arbiters payroll; most of them are demented, yet have gone on to loveeeee human rifles over there own, and are obsessed with DMR's, Battle Rifiles, and the Anti-Material Snipers. 

This is the kind of stuff I wish 343 would put in their games rather than online lore drops. It’s the kind of flavor and world development that just feels absent from their storylines.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, The Good Doctor said:

This is the kind of stuff I wish 343 would put in their games rather than online lore drops. It’s the kind of flavor and world development that just feels absent from their storylines.

I do agree. Halo Infinite did a better job then 4 and 5 (Like I loved how they gave the mini-bosses targets unique backstories, and all the unique Banished ranks and flavor in the enemies) but it still isn't ideal (And it's clear from alot of the great EU stuff, 343 has alot of ideas that could really help this front if they just put them in the games).

Hopefully with the Master Chief Collection people in charge (And I do trust them), we'll see more of it in the next project. Halo Infinite's multiplayer portion is already benefiting a ton. 

3 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

I do agree. Halo Infinite did a better job then 4 and 5 (Like I loved how they gave the mini-bosses targets unique backstories, and all the unique Banished ranks and flavor in the enemies) but it still isn't ideal

I liked a lot of the miniboss concepts and lore behind them, just wish the game had actually shown some of it in cutscenes or dialogue or something.

I like Infinite; it’s the only Halo by 343 that I’m not completely sour towards (so much so that I kinda just treat it as "Halo 4" and ignore the real one :P), but I’d much prefer if future games shift back to linear levels instead of a sandbox. With cutscenes during and between. It allowed for much more memorable moments, characters, and locations than Infinite had in its open world. 

3 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

I liked a lot of the miniboss concepts and lore behind them, just wish the game had actually shown some of it in cutscenes or dialogue or something.

I like Infinite; it’s the only Halo by 343 that I’m not completely sour towards (so much so that I kinda just treat it as "Halo 4" and ignore the real one :P), but I’d much prefer if future games shift back to linear levels instead of a sandbox. With cutscenes during and between. It allowed for much more memorable moments, characters, and locations than Infinite had in its open world. 

There was a huge lack of set-pieces for sure. I think alot of this can be attributed to the utter insanity of the game's development cycle (As an example, Marines were added about 10 months before the game launched XD And Hunters even sooner) 

I'd compare Infinite to if someone made an ENTIRE game based on Halo CE's level "Halo"; got alot of the same vibes as that XD Which is cool, but if there going to do a more open-ended Halo, I'd much rather they take inspiration from Halo ODST's Metroidvania design, or just go back to linear levels. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

Glad to see Phantom Liberty getting some love. I’d like it to win, but I feel like BG3 is definitely gonna take it, which I’m also fine with.

Yeah, I'm fine with it too. Glad that these 2 games are getting recognized.