Roleplayer's Off Topic Thread #41

It’s a day that ends in "Y", so naturally, there is more bad Tomb Raider news! 

¬¬

-The Amazon series has recruited Megan McDonell for the project, who wrote the screenplay for The Marvels. Biggest failure of a superhero film of all time. So now the leading "creative" forces behind it are her and the lady from the last Indiana Jones, which was also a terrible flop. This industry makes no sense to me.

-They are planning for Tomb Raider to be part of a wider "cinematic universe"… Why?

1 hour ago, The Good Doctor said:

¬¬

-The Amazon series has recruited Megan McDonell for the project, who wrote the screenplay for The Marvels. Biggest failure of a superhero film of all time. So now the leading "creative" forces behind it are her and the lady from the last Indiana Jones, which was also a terrible flop. This industry makes no sense to me.

-They are planning for Tomb Raider to be part of a wider "cinematic universe"… Why?

The "this flopped because of misogyny" headlines write themselves.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, The Good Doctor said:

¬¬

Amazon buying the IP rights  should have rung alarm bells; not just because they suck harder then Netflix in content production, but there Video Game division is woefully horrible (and they've done shit like waste 500 hundred million on making a cancelled LOTR MMO).

And I don't even know how a Tomb Raider Cinematic Universe would work XD

52 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

Amazon buying the IP rights  should have rung alarm bells; 

It did. I’ve never met someone who had any good expectations for this show.

54 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

And I don't even know how a Tomb Raider Cinematic Universe would work XD

My guess is it’ll be like Universal’s failed and aborted "monsterverse", where they’ll try to tie together a bunch of unrelated properties for no good reason at all. 

So instead of a TR cinematic universe, it’ll be something bigger, and Lara Croft will just be like the Tony Stark character who kicks it off. Which is still dumb as hell. 

6 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

It did. I’ve never met someone who had any good expectations for this show.

My guess is it’ll be like Universal’s failed and aborted "monsterverse", where they’ll try to tie together a bunch of unrelated properties for no good reason at all. 

So instead of a TR cinematic universe, it’ll be something bigger, and Lara Croft will just be like the Tony Stark character who kicks it off. Which is still dumb as hell. 

You got it wrong; that was the Darkverse. The Monsterverse is the highly successful Godzilla/Kong universe, which is co-owned by Warner Brothers and Toho XD

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

I still can't even see what IP's you could tie together; the amoral asshole archeologists who steal stuff from third world countries IP's XD Maybe some of Ubisoft's IP's? 

https://www.koimoi.com/box-office/godzillas-524-97-million-triumph-to-godzilla-vs-kongs-impressive-success-take-a-look-at-how-monsterverse-fared-at-the-worldwide-box-office/

Kind of funny (but 100 HUNDRED PERCENT understandable) how capeshit is boring people, while audiences are clamoring to watch giant monsters slug it out in death matches XD

3 hours ago, BigBossBalrog said:

I still can't even see what IP's you could tie together; the amoral asshole archeologists who steal stuff from third world countries IP's XD 

Has to be stuff Amazon’s got the rights to. So… Reacher? Fallout? XD Or maybe it’ll be a bunch of video game properties, though they don’t really have a lot of those far as I’m aware. 

7 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

Has to be stuff Amazon’s got the rights to. So… Reacher? Fallout? XD Or maybe it’ll be a bunch of video game properties, though they don’t really have a lot of those far as I’m aware. 

"Tom Clancy's: Lara Croft"

What does she work for the CIA now XD

And yeah it's a pretty weird list. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amazon_Games

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

Unironically, I’d prefer to let Clancy take a shot at it than anyone else who has in the last ten years. 

Eh, agree to disagree XD It'd probably just be as edgy as the reboots but take place in Afghanistan, and Laura has to deal with Middle-Eastern militants who are using an archeological site as a base to attack the western world 

2 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

Eh, agree to disagree XD It'd probably just be as edgy as the reboots but take place in Afghanistan, and Laura has to deal with Middle-Eastern militants who are using an archeological site as a base to attack the western world 

Afghanistan would actually be a pretty good region for a TR game. XD And what you’re describing is literally the plot of 2/3 of the modern games anyway, except instead of middle eastern militants, it’s evil "Christian" fundamentalists.

At least Lara wouldn’t be an apologetic pansy who regresses back to the exact same "arc" every game. Modern Lara isn’t even edgy; she’s whiny and lame. Clancy might actually portray her as a badass, at least.

18 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

I think a line was just crossed; holy fuck, how is Ubisoft so competent at finding ways to fuck gamers over 

Ubisoft is like the cable television of gaming; they have been spamming ads for years. Playing Mirage, they are constantly trying to get me to buy Valhalla.

Never had it happen to me during gameplay, though. Always been the title screen or a page on the pause menu.

Okay so remember how I started playing Morrowind again with a (nearly) pure martial build Nord?

Weeeeeell, I decided I wanted to try something completely new. I restarted as an Altmer "Paladin of Julianos." Heavy armor, shield, long blade (I mostly didn't go blunt because my first 'complete' playthrough used them. But I can justify Knights Mentors using long blades instead of classical maces), restoration and destruction.

I went full on glass canon mage setup, with Apprentice sign. My Altmer can get obliterated by the right type of damage, but that's if they can make it through my substantial Magicka pool XD

I'm definitely roleplaying as "I'm not the Nerevarine, it's a clever employ. I merely satisfy the vagueness"

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

Ubisoft is like the cable television of gaming; they have been spamming ads for years. Playing Mirage, they are constantly trying to get me to buy Valhalla.

Never had it happen to me during gameplay, though. Always been the title screen or a page on the pause menu.

Apparently theres mass reports happening and Ubisoft is doing a test of it on older AC games. So fucking scummy