Soulsborne Thread #6 (And other FROMSOFT titles)

Coventants  

6 members have voted

1. 1. To whom do you pledge allegiance?

• Rosaria
    • The Mound
    • The Sun
    • Old Wolf of Farron
    • The Darkmoon
    • Aldrich

5 hours ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

They all look undead to me. Even early on, werewolves have their rib cages exposed and such. And it progressively gets worse the stronger the scourge is in the host.

Visible and exposed ribcages are a pretty common trope with werewolves and monsters and such. Nothing in the game actually indicates that they’re undead. They’re still alive and retain memories and shit. They’ve just been transformed and made monsterous by the scourge.

There is some eldritch Frankenstein shit like the darkbeasts that are undead though. In fact, the game singles them out as such.

53 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

Visible and exposed ribcages are a pretty common trope with werewolves and monsters and such. Nothing in the game actually indicates that they’re undead. They’re still alive and retain memories and shit. They’ve just been transformed and made monsterous by the scourge

Nah I don’t buy that at all personally, werewolves I’ve seen before didn’t have literal bloody ribs and bone poking out of their bodies. And to me, things like Darkbeast Paarl existing at all proves they are undead.

"Even the hardest dick must go flaccid." -Colonelkillabee

Especially the later rendition of the scourge beasts in yahar’gul where they’re split open like an over cooked sausage instead of normal scourge beasts.

Plus, there’s even a line mentioning they “can’t even die right” in the nightmare, which I’ll look up later, but that’s where I originally figured they were indeed undead.

Theres way too many things pointing to undeath, more than not, for me to believe otherwise.

Plus it makes so much sense for the blood to cause that, I mean look at Logarius, look at the vilebloods, the bodies in the blood river going through Yharnam and to the cathedral, which I’m pretty sure is associated with Yahar’gul and what happened there. Too similar.

Which also brings up the one reborn. In fact if the scourge beasts didn’t get cursed with undeath in their beastly state I’d find it rather out of place with everything else we’ve seen.

Hell the dogs are straight up undead too for sure.

As are the things in the sewer

19 minutes ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

Nah I don’t buy that at all personally, werewolves I’ve seen before didn’t have literal bloody ribs and bone poking out of their bodies. And to me, things like Darkbeast Paarl existing at all proves they are undead.

The game specifically singles out the darkbeasts as being undead. Why would it do that if they’re all undead, and the result beasts themselves are never referred to as such?

And monsters being grotesque and fucked up looking isn’t really a sign of them being undead. Most are pretty clearly alive, and we even see some of them progress and change into what they become as the scourge overtakes them. They don’t die, and even are able to retain some of who they are. And the named ones we kill stay dead. It’s only the generic replaceable shit that “respawns”.

Yeah, even if the universes were shared, I don’t buy at all that the scourge is an undeath thing. That would be so out of the left field and takes lots of serious digging and stretching to make it feel remotely fitting. 

10 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

The game specifically singles out the darkbeasts as being undead. Why would it do that if they’re all undead, and the result beasts themselves are never referred to as such?

Because it’s a literal skeleton for one and for two, because they don’t want to blatantly state that, same as everything. The evidence is all there.

7 minutes ago, TheCzarsHussar said:

Does the obhorent beast add anything to the theory?

I mean he doesn't seem undead, either in his false form or true self.

How the fuck did the beast even apear human in the first place?

Undead is literally just undying. Undead in dark souls don’t always look zombified.

The real question would be, if some are undead and some aren’t, why the hell is that the case? If the blood didn’t cause or at least eventually lead to undeath, I’d have to say that would make even less sense than if they all or mostly were undead 

It would be super random and even more convoluted than before.

4 minutes ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

Because it’s a literal skeleton for one and for two, because they don’t want to blatantly state that, same as everything. The evidence is all there.

What is? Exposed bones isn’t a literal skeleton. Otherwise, skeletal enemies like the darkbeasts and a few others in Chalice dungeons and such are among the exceptions I was talking about. 

3 minutes ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

To each their own, for me up until now I thought that was common knowledge tbh.

I’ve very rarely seen it even treated as such, tbh. And not for lack of hanging around lore communities either. 

3 minutes ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

The real question would be, if some are undead and some aren’t, why the hell is that the case? If the blood didn’t cause or at least eventually lead to undeath, I’d have to say that would make even less sense than if they all or mostly were undead 

It would be super random and even more convoluted than before.

With the darkbeasts, I suspect it’s related to the same energy that makes them electrical, which that crazy inventor dude who created the tonitrus was so fascinated by and tapped into. 

Just now, The Good Doctor said:

I’m talking about the beast scourge of Yharnam. The vilebloods are their own thing. 

They both became what they are because of the blood. It’s related, even if the end result is different. That both have associations with undeath tho despite the difference is telling.

Especially Logarius who is very much undead but didn’t fall to the scourge and isn’t a vileblood.

Again, I’m not saying that undeath isn’t in the game. Pointing out incidents of it that are separate from the Yharnam beast scourge doesn’t disprove anything. The very fact that attention is called to it when it shows up, as if it’s a distinctive thing, is evidence enough that everyone afflicted with the scourge isn’t undead.

We literally watched Father G succumb. He didn’t die. It was basically just an irreversible werewolf transformation. 

8 hours ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

Yes, actually. For one Flora I doubt has ever died. Undeath is literally just that. Neither dead or alive, or a state of both. 

8 hours ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

Not to mention, the scourge doesn't require anyone dies either, they merely transform and become undead beasts.

Yes I know Flora is a great one and different, in case someone mentions that. It applies still tho.

And there still isn’t a good answer for why then are some beasts, even the very first cleric beast we see undead and others aren’t. I don’t buy that you’re missing a stomach with ribs exposed and spine too just because you’re “monstrous”. Lacking guts makes being alive pretty much an impossibility in the normal sense. And they don’t drink blood for sustenance, the blood is literally what sustains them past the point of death. That’s the definition of undeath.