Soulsborne Thread #6 (And other FROMSOFT titles)

Coventants  

6 members have voted

1. 1. To whom do you pledge allegiance?

• Rosaria
    • The Mound
    • The Sun
    • Old Wolf of Farron
    • The Darkmoon
    • Aldrich

2 minutes ago, TheCzarsHussar said:

There's a brown recluse web in my den that I just left alone for years. It's either the same one or it's kids but the damn thing is till up there in it's tangled web.

See now there’s not being afraid of spiders and then there’s the fools who’ve got a death wish. I consider this the latter. 

It's always nice when your writing gets reinforced by the canon after you come up with it.

16 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

But Colonel, all From games are in the same universe!!! Fromsoft might tell us that’s not true, but what do those jokers know?

XD Well I like to think they are if the theory's good enough. And the game good enough....

BB I think definitely is. There's enough there pointing to it, especially with the Ashen Watchers of the Chalice Dungeons. Or at the very least, Dark Souls crew desperately wanted it to be when they made DS3.

"Even the hardest dick must go flaccid." -Colonelkillabee

latest?cb=20180827190950

1 minute ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

Boo Wendy Testaburger. Booooooo

There's fucking cut dialogue were Father G utters "Umbassa..." which is a prayer from Demon Souls XD While not as direct as intended, there's still subtext, and it's far more plausible then BB being related to Dank Souls 

10 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

If anything, Bloodborne is part of the Demon Souls universe rather the Dark Souls one. 

I prefer them all as stand-alones but there are arguments for both theories.

Bloodborne makes a little sense as the world painted with blood at the end of Dark Souls, though imo this is thematically unsatisfying for both universes. 

It also somewhat works that BB is what happens long after the good ending of Demon Souls and Dark Souls is what happens after the bad ending, making them all a shared universe but split versions of it.

It's always nice when your writing gets reinforced by the canon after you come up with it.

1 minute ago, BigBossBalrog said:

There's fucking cut dialogue were Father G utters "Umbassa..." which is a prayer from Demon Souls XD While not as direct as intended, there's still subtext, and it's far more plausible then BB being related to Dank Souls 

Not based on the evidence given in this post, though I agree with Doc and the ending of Plebeian Souls.

But not that it's "more likely" than Dark Souls. I also don't mind if it's not a very satisfying end, because the series is bleak as hell and that fits tbh. Nothing changes greatly, only in small ways and the suffering continues despite your best efforts. That fits BB especially, considering its possible that all the possible endings of BB are connected in a loop.

10 minutes ago, TheCzarsHussar said:

Keeper of the Old Lords.

I don’t think this guy is at all connected to the Abyss Watchers or even looks close enough to draw that conclusion but to play a fun devil’s advocate, the AWs were some of the only guys in the Painted World of Ariandal when the world was ending, so theoretically, they could’ve been among the few to physically enter the Blood World painting themselves (rather than being born in it via the Dark Soul). 

Their item descriptions say they're literally preserved in burnt ashen form to oversee and protect the slumbering great ones in the chalice crypts, like Ebrietas. Add that to their crazy fire powers and they're definitely connected,

2 minutes ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

But not that it's "more likely" than Dark Souls. I also don't mind if it's not a very satisfying end, because the series is bleak as hell and that fits tbh. Nothing changes greatly, only in small ways and the suffering continues despite your best efforts. That fits BB especially, considering its possible that all the possible endings of BB are connected in a loop.

But there's always a ray of sunlight kinda of theme to it, even though it's so dark and bleak. Gywn was able to maintain his precious Age of Fire for a few more thousand years despite burning in eternal agony for that. The Unkindled One is able to bring an Age of Hollows,  and bring humanity kinda were it was supposed to be, if only for a little. Gherman was able to find peace at the end. The Hunter is able to transcend this horrible world and become a fucking god.  The Bearer of the Curse cures his fucking undeath like they wanted too. Vendrick, despite his kingdom falling to ruin and his name forever slandered throughout history, managed to stop Nashandra and redeem himself by becoming a mentor to the Bearer of the Curse.

There imperfect, bittersweet endings, but the message I get as long as you keep trying, and never give in to despair, it's possible to make a difference. 

5 minutes ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

But not that it's "more likely" than Dark Souls. I also don't mind if it's not a very satisfying end, because the series is bleak as hell and that fits tbh.

I don’t mean unsatisfying because it’s bleak. I mean unsatisfying because the series have so thematically different and have such unique lore that stands on its own that I feel like connecting them only cheapens them both and makes them part of something they shouldn’t be. 

But that’s just me. I think the theories are fun and don’t blame people who like them. 

3 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

But there's always a ray of sunlight kinda of theme to it, even though it's so dark and bleak. Gywn was able to maintain his precious Age of Fire for a few more thousand years despite burning in eternal agony for that. The Unkindled One is able to bring an Age of Hollows,  and bring humanity kinda were it was supposed to be, if only for a little. Gherman was able to find peace at the end. The Hunter is able to transcend this horrible world and become a fucking god.  The Bearer of the Curse cures his fucking undeath like they wanted too. Vendrick, despite his kingdom falling to ruin and his name forever slandered throughout history, managed to stop Nashandra and redeem himself by becoming a mentor to the Bearer of the Curse.

There imperfect, bittersweet endings, but the message I get as long as you keep trying, and never give in to despair, it's possible to make a difference. 

The ending music is always impossibly sad, but very very soothing, to reflect the bittersweet nature of the "good endings".

2 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

There is a ray of sunlight, though I see it as kind of a treat to keep the hamsters running, or in this case, the hunters. The endless loop thing or dream theories, none of those are confirmed. Neither is the idea that the death ending where the night ends is temporary. There's always the chance that this was indeed a dream and the sun rising is the end, albeit unlikely. And in the end, BB is still a better world, albeit by a pretty small margin... than Dark Souls.

At least they got rid of the dualities that enslaved them and doomed them to a cycle that couldn't last. And in BB, there's a way to uplift humanity from their destructive primitive nature.