Soulsborne Thread #6 (And other FROMSOFT titles)

Coventants  

6 members have voted

1. 1. To whom do you pledge allegiance?

• Rosaria
    • The Mound
    • The Sun
    • Old Wolf of Farron
    • The Darkmoon
    • Aldrich

3 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

I don’t mean unsatisfying because it’s bleak. I mean unsatisfying because the series have so thematically different and have such unique lore that stands on its own that I feel like connecting them only cheapens them both and makes them part of something they shouldn’t be. 

But that’s just me. I think the theories are fun and don’t blame people who like them. 

Indeed, to each their own. I don't think them being connected cheapens them. Saying its the exact same universe might but connected, that seems undeniable imo. They're still two very different universes with very different rules, only vaguely reminiscent of one another in the smallest of ways. Them being connected wouldn't change anything the way saying they're in the exact same universe would. That I disagree with.

Alternate dimensions leaves a lot of room for possibilities imo.

"Even the hardest dick must go flaccid." -Colonelkillabee

14 minutes ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

Their item descriptions say they're literally preserved in burnt ashen form to oversee and protect the slumbering great ones in the chalice crypts, like Ebrietas. 

It takes some stretching to make this the same as the Ashen Ones in DS3, imo. They are both burnt and end up surviving to fulfill a purpose, but those purposes are pretty much unrelated. And fire and ash just tend to go together so fire powers aren’t really a shocker either. 

I don’t take it as proof of anything. Fromsoft carries lots of loose concepts across games and Miyazaki can be pretty heavy handed with including elements he enjoys regardless of their relevance. Same reason DS3 was full of Bloodborne-esq stuff to the point of it annoying some of the more OG fans. 

6 minutes ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

Saying its the exact same universe might but connected, that seems undeniable imo.

Agree to disagree. Unless by connected you just mean there are similarities and maybe some references, because there certainly are. I don’t think they are actually connected though, like BB being the painted world or something. And I do think that it would be pointless and cheap if they were. Even if the theory is pretty cool.

7 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

Agree to disagree. Unless by connected you just mean there are similarities and maybe some references, because there certainly are. I don’t think they are actually connected though, like BB being the painted world or something. And I do think that it would be pointless and cheap if they were. Even if the theory is pretty cool.

Agree to disagree indeed, I think it's too specific not to be the painted world tbh. The way they borrowed so many BB elements, then suddenly focus on blood when they never really have to make a new world, that would be too coincidental imo.

I personally agree with Doc though XD Why do they need to be connected in the first place when their so good standalone?

Not to mention Dark Souls 2 and 3 were inferior sequels (as good as 3 was, and as good as 2's DLC). FROM is at their best is when they can create standalone works, no sequels. Putting aspects of BB into 3 worked for things (Aldritch and the Abyss Watchers) but the increased fast pace of things, useless poise, and some other gameplay aspects really didn't. 

And Unkindled Ash seeketh Lords to bring them back to be sacrifices, while the Watchers are more in traditional, "protect are thing of worship" like cultists imo,

They don't need to be, I just think there's way too many coincidences for them not to be, plus I really really like the theories in congruent with the shared elements. For me it just adds even more depth. 

Only time such things ruin lore or whatever for me is when it's from two universes nothing at all alike, like fucking Witcher and Soul Caliber 

The laws of the universe seem fundamentally different to me. 

Dark Souls is centred on the concept of the duality of flame and darkness, the metaphysical aspects come from the first flame, and the cyclic nature of things. (Flame is a servant of Darkness once second, and darkness becomes a servant of flame another.) Ages pass, Age of Gray. Age of Flame. Age of Dark. Age of the Deep Sea.

Demon Souls is a little more basic, the duality of God and the Devil figure, the Great One, who casts a plague upon the world, and bring forth sorcery and spells, along with a scourge of demons.  This Great One, who is worshipped as if a God, is a creation of the true God, whose motives for unleashing it are up to the air. There's a less focus of the dynamics of the universe, but it's still there.

None of those aspects exist in Bloodborne, not really anything about darkness, cycles, or the flame (besides in the purification of spiritual decay)  Bloodborne's universe is centred on the cosmos, and how the cosmos is like a very deep ocean of stars, planes of existence, and reality itself.  There are beings, great beings beyond our comprehensions that live outside our concepts of understanding, our ideas of space and time, and can travel to different realities, those of the physical waking world, and those of dreams.  Humans can interact with them , at great peril. The world is also defined by the power of blood,  the concept of physical and spiritual defilement, and the corruption of the blood itself. 

Besides the recurring elements, I personally cant reconcile them. 

• Like 1

Thing is, Fromsoft notoriously carries elements across games without there being a connection simply because they find those elements cool or iconic. Be it items like the Moonlight Blade (which even predates Demon Souls), characters like Patches and the invisible bird, lots of Bloodborney stuff in Dark Souls 3 and Demon Soulsy stuff in Dark Souls 1, etc.

It’s hard to know what’s meant to be looked at more deeply or what they’re just reusing because they like it. 

If you ask me, you don't need to know which is which tbh, they've never confirmed or denied whether these things mean they're all connected or not, and I'm perfectly okay with them never doing so. In fact, even if they did want the worlds to be connected, I'm sure they'd want whatever evidence they gave to be as convoluted as possible lol. In the end it changes absolutely nothing.

It's pretty much exactly like True Detective and my problem with the author just blatantly stating that no, nothing eldritch related is going on. I never needed it to be confirmed anyway, and the evidence for that being the case, that nothing was going on was always stronger than there actually being something cthulhu esque going on.

All I wanted was my sliver of hope to keep my brain running on the hamster wheel. It hurts nothing and changes nothing.

Like this shit with the Everlasting Dragons. According to the Design Works, these things are not  alive in our sense. They are half living, half elemental, they cant feel pain , they existed before life (in Miyisaki's own words) They exist because the rules of Dark Souls universe allows them to exist like that, but could the other games stuff support something as weird and unusual as they are?

04bfb3b196a39b8a974d40786f615162.jpg

That hardly sounds much different than undeath tbh.

But I think you're missing the point of what I'm saying. Just because some things cant exist in one universe but can in the other, or simply don't, doesn't mean they aren't or couldn't be connected.

1 minute ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

That hardly sounds much different than undeath tbh.

But I think you're missing the point of what I'm saying. Just because some things cant exist in one universe but can in the other, or simply don't, doesn't mean they aren't or couldn't be connected.

But Undeath happens after you die XD Can you be Undead if you never alive in the first place? That's why Nito is the first of the dead, nothing died before he came into being, because they were was nothing alive to begin with!

1 minute ago, BigBossBalrog said:

But Undeath happens after you die XD Can you be Undead if you never alive in the first place? That's why Nito is the first of the dead, nothing died before he came into being, because they were was nothing alive to begin with!

Yes, actually. For one Flora I doubt has ever died. Undeath is literally just that. Neither dead or alive, or a state of both. 

8 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

The beasts mostly aren’t undead. 

They all look undead to me. Even early on, werewolves have their rib cages exposed and such. And it progressively gets worse the stronger the scourge is in the host.

8 minutes ago, Witchking of Angmar said:

I skimmed a bit but this much I managed to gather:

Doc named me the Black Knight, which I’ll take.

Colonel wants to fuck Kos and get eldritch STD. 

GRRM is rather spending his time on this than his books.

This must be frustrating for you with your timezone going to sleep and waking up to all of our bullshit XD 

I was looking for some pics of typical scourge beasts like you first see in yharnam and holy shit I am blown away at 1. the concept art and how good it is and 2. How faithful Miyazaki managed to be in the end to the concept art. Its fucking fantastic!

image.thumb.png.40ad2176ec1a8574208ed1dd3f509ab3.pngimage.thumb.png.40ad2176ec1a8574208ed1dd3f509ab3.pngScorge Beast Art from Bloodborne

e3614465a3f98192c34b4375952cbae8.jpg15751bbc606cb491.jpg15751bbc960cb491.jpg98fcab1c8b876a91724aefad7e481452.jpg7a9119d0facce3af71b265c559caa462.jpg