Soulsborne Thread #9

What game should FromSoft do next?   

5 members have voted

1. 1. What game should FromSoft do next?

• Bloodborne 2
    • Elden Ring 2
    • Sekiro 2
    • A new IP in the spirit of Soulsborne
    • Something new entirely

48 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

I hope this isn't going to start a trend of them saying "This new game sold only ten million copies, FAILURE!" XD

A profitable game can still be a "failure" when considering that parent companies are more interested in brand longevity and potential profit.

TLoU2 was a success in terms of money made, but I have a feeling that Sony would’ve liked for it to make much, much more given the strength of the brand. And the fact that it so badly damaged the reputation of one of their top IPs and dev companies was probably not worth the gains in their eyes. We can see evidence of this by how quickly they ceased their marketing of it and swept the game under the rug.

4 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

A profitable game can still be a "failure" when considering that parent companies are more interested in brand longevity and potential profit.

TLoU2 was a success in terms of money made, but I have a feeling that Sony would’ve liked for it to make much, much more given the strength of the brand. And the fact that it so badly damaged the reputation of one of their top IPs and dev companies was probably not worth the gains in their eyes. We can see this by how quickly they ceased their marketing of it and swept the game under the rug.

Well most of the time; I was talking about the short-sighted mega-giants like EA who made ridiculous statements like how they were "very disappointed Dead Space 2 only sold eight million copies" XD Rather then commenting  on the long term or how healthy the IP itself is doing, they just lump everything in copies sold, and base decisions that negatively effect the franchise on that. (Look at Dead Space 3). 

I guess you also have to weigh production costs versus money made. 

Last of Us 2 made a fat chunk of money, but I suspect it's less when you measure the fact it's one of the most expensive games produced. 

Contrast to that, EE, while seemingly expensive by Bandai/FROM standards, probably didn't spend nearly the same amount, and sold about five. times it's number in less then a quarter of the time. 

29 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

Last of Us 2 made a fat chunk of money, but I suspect it's less when you measure the fact it's one of the most expensive games produced. 

Not even about expenses. That "fat chunk" is only impressive if you ignore that it was a sequel to the most popular game Sony has ever released, and should have made waaaay more. This is because investors don’t just see "profit" and consider it a success; they see projected profit, and expect it to be achieved. TLoU2 didn’t even come close to making what it should have, so calling it successful is short-sighted.

Elden Ring, on the other hand, blew expectations out of the water. Its commercial success goes so far beyond anything Fromsoft has achieved in the past that I doubt anyone really could have predicted it. Especially with it being a new IP that lacked brand recognition.

And barring an economic collapse or either company doing something to dramatically change their public image over the next decade, I have a feeling that a hypothetical "Elden Ring 2" would perform even better than ER did, while a "TLoU3" would perform worse than 2. That’s why I think TLoU2 was ultimately a failure despite making a profit.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TheCzarsHussar said:

As I tend to stay away from supposed lore know it alls, mostly because of Elder Scrolls fans XD, I started watching the man in the lead up to Elden Ring.

He's my most tolerable lore nerd

I think the production that goes into his videos make them alot more enjoyable to watch.

1 hour ago, TheCzarsHussar said:

As I tend to stay away from supposed lore know it alls, mostly because of Elder Scrolls fans XD, I started watching the man in the lead up to Elden Ring.

He's my most tolerable lore nerd

At this point he’s got like a thousand minions scouring the games for lore on his behalf, so honestly his stuff is pretty damn well researched these days. 

*Vaati: Epic tragedy filled with custom/professional music, mostly good researched, and great shots/sequences* 

*Fudgemuppet: Clickbait titles, awkward face camera shots, little citations, weird conclusions, and cringey opinions* 

Yeah I don't watch TES lore channels, besides the guy who presents his shit with doom music XD

2 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

I’d call it the video’s weak point… if it wasn’t preceded by the Ysgramor cosplayer railing a Bosmer femboy. :rofl: 

The rest? Top tier content. XD 

The one time I talked to Allinall, Ysgramor got brought up and he instantly called him the bussy enjoyer :rofl:

• Haha 1

Just now, TheCzarsHussar said:

The one time I talked to Allinall, Ysgramor got brought up and he instantly called him the bussy enjoyer :rofl:

That whole thing is based on a meme in the Truestl subreddit, which is just a bunch of TES lore-related hyper-shitposting. He even credited the originator of the meme in his video. XD 

Funny community, actually. Retarded as the average intelligence Orc, but the in-jokes are consistent. It’s where that meme @BigBossBalrog likes about Huna being the racist and bloodthirsty devil on Pelinal’s shoulder comes from.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

*major role in the CANON AllinAll timeline*

I don’t watch them either, but they seem like likable guys. Terrible voice actors, though. XD 

I have nothing against them (besides there awfully sounding British accents XD While Vaati's is music to your ears) but they have two types of videos; one they act like there reading from a wiki page, and two; there "theories" are poorly researched or just stupid XD

6 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

I have nothing against them (besides there awfully sounding British accents XD While Vaati's is music to your ears) but they have two videos; one they act like there reading from a wiki page, and two; there "theories" are poorly researched or just stupid XD

Ulfric stormcloak is a big tiddy goth milf

In all of the Soulsy From games, who'd you put your money on as the strongest character in game, not mentioned, outside the players?

A very strong contender for me is King Vendrick, it took the hatred of an entire species of giants just to weaken his mindless hollow form enough to take him down. Before he went hollow, Vendrick conquered Lordan, killed the four great ones and returned to Drangelic with a powerful artifact that made the giants wage generations of constant war.