Roleplayer's Off Topic Thread #35

I was doing some reading on it, and there was a case in Brazil last week where a female judge denied an abortion  to an 11 year old girl who was raped. It's such a lack of empathy. 

https://nypost.com/2022/06/21/brazilian-judge-refuses-abortion-for-11-year-old-rape-victim/

It's why I think a total ban on abortions', regardless of where you fall on the issue, shouldn't''t be even discussed. 

1 minute ago, BigBossBalrog said:

I feel it's hypocritical for them to claim to be about "protecting life" but as soon as the baby's born, throw them to the wolves by cutting funding for social programs and stuff that's put forward to help new families struggling with the bills for basic necessities like food.  

It might be a disconnect cause Canada has alot of welfare programs for people of all walks of life, and I know alot of people in the states view that kind of thing as being "dangerously close to communism".

This is a fair argument but it cuts both ways. The social welfare state and the police state are born of the same impulse. State owns you cradle to grave, and it will always protect its investment. By "protect," I mean control. It thinks your life isn't worthy, you get culled from the herd.

Better to look out for you and your own and leave the rest to do the same. No good can come from looking to the government.

As for fighting, I sure as hell wouldn't fight for this government, either. Endless stream of proxy wars conducted by serial liars.

• Like 2

Just don't work for supply chain, whatever you do. These past three years have been absolute misery. I changed jobs and thought it would get better, but the whole system is completely fucked.

And speaking of government, if you're wondering why shelves are empty, I am forced to set aside even high value customers when a DPAS rated order comes through- which is happening more and more, because the feds have figured out they can use the DPA system to get their cronies paid while the rest of the supply chain goes to hell.

4 minutes ago, Celan said:

This is a fair argument but it cuts both ways. The social welfare state and the police state are born of the same impulse. State owns you cradle to grave, and it will always protect its investment. By "protect," I mean control. It thinks your life isn't worthy, you get culled from the herd.

Better to look out for you and your own and leave the rest to do the same. No good can come from looking to the government.

As for fighting, I sure as hell wouldn't fight for this government, either. Endless stream of proxy wars conducted by serial liars.

I wouldn't look to the government for jackshit XD But i'm in a position where I dont have too, so if someone else is struggling with bringing home the bread or with a new couple trying to start a family and needing some relief on financial strains, I'm not remotely against a institution within the government helping people who need help.  I know there's an argument that private groups like religious institutes and charity funds can do the same job, but I don't think its nearly effective. 

1 minute ago, Centurion said:

E4FC0967-B378-480E-B0D5-12FC57A2A014.thumb.jpeg.5268d3ec69946769221e4292512a83dc.jpeg

Oh boyyyy definitely didn’t see this one coming. Look what happens when basic human rights are overturned. Now we are gonna start looking at the constitutional legality of segregation again….

Fucking Vampires. Did I mention I hate politicians? 

36 minutes ago, Centurion said:

E4FC0967-B378-480E-B0D5-12FC57A2A014.thumb.jpeg.5268d3ec69946769221e4292512a83dc.jpeg

Oh boyyyy definitely didn’t see this one coming. Look what happens when basic human rights are overturned. Now we are gonna start looking at the constitutional legality of segregation again….

This the asshole who just voted for the "gun control" law, so I doubt he has a job next election, and he's just stirring shit.

24 minutes ago, Centurion said:

I don’t like this guy either, but actually go look at everything else he’s said for context. People are posting this everywhere to drum up outrage when they’ve literally got it backwards.

He is citing Plessy vs Ferguson as a bad Supreme Court ruling that was used to create illegitimate laws and later got overruled. He brings up what a bad thing it was almost every time Supreme Court activism is being talked about. He isn’t a fan of it.

• Like 1

Just now, The Good Doctor said:

Most of those assholes were retiring anyway. Like I said, snakes. 

Like Tillis and Burr, our venerable Senators from North Carolina. Burr was indicted for corruption so he's just mad that his GOP buddies didn't bail him out. Tillis is done for. Only thing he's ever stood up for is a law to penalize torrents, basically just a payoff to the big tech firms. Two more worthless ratfucks I never did see. Not sure what North Carolina did to deserve them and I keep thinking it can't get worse with their replacements, but we'll see.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

I wouldn't look to the government for jackshit XD But i'm in a position where I dont have too, so if someone else is struggling with bringing home the bread or with a new couple trying to start a family and needing some relief on financial strains, I'm not remotely against a institution within the government helping people who need help.  I know there's an argument that private groups like religious institutes and charity funds can do the same job, but I don't think its nearly effective. 

If all it was was that then I wouldn't have a problem with it either. The problem being that the "social safety net" drags all of us into it, whether we want it or not. Not to mention the giant black hole that these bureaucracies become, absorbing endless amounts of cash and spitting out ever more dysfunctional communities in their wake.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Centurion said:

I don’t understand how the right to choose isn’t supported by the Constitution which states life, liberty, the pursuit of happiness

That interpretation of "liberty" is highly vague and if taken literally wouldn’t leave room for any laws at all, and is even contradicted by the protection of "life" as true liberty would mean I am free to take someone’s life.

In a document designed to protect freedoms, but clearly not all freedoms, it’s important to draw lines on what that entails.

But moreover, the 14th Amendment looooong predates Roe vs Wade, and abortion was outright illegal in most states for the majority of that time. If it was meant to protect abortion, then this would’ve gone into effect in the 1800s, not the 1970s. 

The Court’s job isn’t to reinterpret the Constitution in order to make up new laws or protections. When society’s views change enough that we now deem the Constitution flawed or lacking, then the proper solution is amendment.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

That interpretation of "liberty" is highly vague and if taken literally wouldn’t leave room for any laws at all, and is even contradicted by the protection of "life" as true liberty would mean I am free to take someone’s life.

In a document designed to protect freedoms, but clearly not all freedoms, it’s important to draw lines on what that entails.

But moreover, the 14th Amendment looooong predates Roe vs Wade, and abortion was outright illegal in most states for the majority of that time. If it was meant to protect abortion, then this would’ve gone into effect in the 1800s, not the 1970s. 

The Court’s job isn’t to reinterpret the Constitution in order to make up new laws or protections. When society’s views change enough that we now deem the Constitution flawed or lacking, then the proper solution is amendment.

I find it kinda of funny Revengence took that and used as a plot point for Senator Armstrong's insane viewpoints XD

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, BigBossBalrog said:

I feel it's hypocritical for them to claim to be about "protecting life" but as soon as the baby's born, throw them to the wolves by cutting funding for social programs and stuff that's put forward to help new families struggling with the bills for basic necessities like food.  

Not really. Even taking the most extreme, cold-blooded position on the matter still isn’t hypocritical.

If I am a heartless bastard who doesn’t want to give anyone a penny ever, that still doesn’t mean I believe they never should have gotten to be born.

• Like 1

Anyway. It's clear to me, at least, that we're in the dystopia just with technological stagnation rather than the hyper-advancement that dystopian sci fi envisions.

It's why I advocate radical individualism as a way forward, socially speaking. It's the only way we can preserve a pluralist society which has no social cohesion or sense of community. Any attempt by one faction to use the state to impose its social mores on the rest will lead to endless cycles of division and breakdown.

As for another 1st world country to settle in, I always favored Switzerland. Traditionalist in outlook, radically libertarian in their approach to other places. The problem being that they don't want Americans and for good reason. Same way that blue staters moving into red states for the economic opportunity end up ruining them just like the places they're fleeing from- we would pollute the system just by moving there, in any number.

Now I think I'll go practice my dystopian mercenary skills. I took this shot from the Cyberpunk art book- it's a dead ringer for how I see my nomad girl. Minimal cyberware but she does have cyber arms. Sadly the cyberarm model in this shot is only seen on NPCs in the game, you can't get it as the PC. I haven't found a mod yet that I like enough to download which gives different cyberarm skins.

Cyberpunk.jpg

2 hours ago, Celan said:

Just don't work for supply chain, whatever you do. These past three years have been absolute misery. I changed jobs and thought it would get better, but the whole system is completely fucked.

Doesn’t get much better at the end of the chain either. The number of customers that I have actually closed deals with this year is smaller than the number I have turned away due to the equipment shortage.

I’m no longer even allowed to sell equipment outside of our area of responsibility. If a farmer from Tennessee shows up tomorrow ready to pay cash for a tractor that I have in stock, I’d have to turn him away. Sending any equipment outside our AOR is no longer viable because there won’t be anything to replace it and that’s one fewer unit being traded and worked on in our area.

14 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

Doesn’t get much better at the end of the chain either. The number of customers that I have actually closed deals with this year is smaller than the number I have turned away due to the equipment shortage.

I’m no longer even allowed to sell equipment outside of our area of responsibility. If a farmer from Tennessee shows up tomorrow ready to pay cash for a tractor that I have in stock, I’d have to turn him away. Sending any equipment outside our AOR is no longer viable because there won’t be anything to replace it and that’s one fewer unit being traded and worked on in our area.

Yeah, sorry about that. XD I seem to recall at least one outraged email saying that I was shutting down John Deere production. I dunno, they kind of blend together. It's nonstop.

A few weeks back I was apparently shutting down production of missiles for Ukraine.

• Haha 1

My views on abortions are that they're a very sad thing, but a necessary evil if you would. I'm kinda on the teeter of pro life and choice. Infanticide is unforgivable and fucking evil, just like the horrid bitches that brag about abortions and wear it like marks of honor. If someone is getting an abortion, then the most human way about it is doing so at the earliest possible stage of development. I hate the thought of late stage but ultimately the choice aught to belong with the woman.