• The Armorer
    • Sabine Wren

• 2 weeks later...
16 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

@Centurion @BigBossBalrog @TheCzarsHussar

I’m on episode 2 of Andor…

Hide contents

Shit… this is like… a story

Really digging it so far. Lot of good to say even just for episode 1. 

Ignore the name the show its pretty much the birth of the Rebellion XD I knew you'd like it.

3 hours ago, BigBossBalrog said:

Ignore the name the show its pretty much the birth of the Rebellion XD I knew you'd like it.

Cassian Andor has been pretty front and center so far, but I can definitely tell that the groundwork is being laid for a much bigger story to take place. 

Centurion said I’d like it too. It’s still early (on episode 3), but I’m really liking it so far. I see what he meant when he said it’s hard to even view it as set in the same universe as the other Disney stuff. This is too grounded and logical to lump in with it. XD 

One of my favorite things so far is how deliberate everything happening seems to be. Every interaction is progressing the plot and developing the characters. It all feels like it matters. And actions have consequences!

Basically everything happening is just because the protagonist killed two nobodies. But the story actually addresses their backgrounds, what their deaths mean to their faction, and ultimately how it keeps following Andor. First thing he did was invent a cover story, burn his trail, and do everything he could to keep it from coming back on him. He has to work hard just to make up for what happened.

Compare that to literally any other SW show where the characters regularly gun down everything from random aliens to Imperial officers and nothing ever comes of it. Most the action has no weight and only happens to give us some spectacle that will never come up again. Mando got into a shootout because some pirates wanted to drink in a school! XD 

But in this? Everything happening matters. At least so far. It’s so refreshing!

But no shit, andor is on point literally start to finish. It’s fucking fantastic. I literally don’t even have nit-picky things to bitch out with that series. It’s the gold standard for Star Wars and it doesn’t fucking miss. Like if all the projects Disney has under taken, this. This one. The one I couldn’t have cared less about until I watched it. The went fucking hard and knocked it outta the park

• Like 1

Fuck:dntknw:

3 hours ago, Centurion said:

But no shit, andor is on point literally start to finish. It’s fucking fantastic. I literally don’t even have nit-picky things to bitch out with that series. It’s the gold standard for Star Wars and it doesn’t fucking miss.

Yeah, it is crazy good. You know how critical I am of TV these days, and I haven’t got a bad thing to say.

It makes me a little sad, though. Imagine a world where this level of detail and care was put into all of these shows. Star Wars would be the reigning king.

3 hours ago, Centurion said:

Like if all the projects Disney has under taken, this. This one. The one I couldn’t have cared less about until I watched it. The went fucking hard and knocked it outta the park

It actually makes some sense. Nobody was asking for or anticipating an Andor prequel, so it’s not like this show was some big corporate decision that was made purely to cash in on. This only got made because someone creative had a genuine idea for a story. Based on the credits, I’m assuming Tony Gilroy is our guy.

Meanwhile, I also watched episode 4 of Mando, which opened to show the most elite warriors in the galaxy "training" by aimlessly unloading all their weapons into a stagnant pond. :rofl: And then, for the second time in four episodes, a giant lizard randomly shows up and kicks their asses.

Yeah, these shows are not set in the same universe. It isn’t possible. XD 

@Centurion

The part where Andor and Luthen escape from their meeting place and the corporate security set up a perimeter to catch them… damn that was some good shit! :lol: So freaking tense!

Whole town’s gone quiet except for the locals banging on metal all over the place, making them realize that what seemed a normal arrest has turned into a desperate situation that they are completely outnumbered in.

Dialogue was perfect. All the security are nervous as hell, trying to keep it together, then Andor’s mom: "That is what a reckoning sounds like". 

And then it went silent, and you almost had to feel bad for them. Some natives banging sticks against pans… and then stopping… made for one of the tensest, most intimidating scenes in all of Star Wars. Arghh, why is this so good?! XD 

Reminded me a lot of our Fallout post set in the Forgotten Homes, actually. Similar premise and the situation plays out pretty much the same.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Centurion said:

I might be able to jump on tonight or tomorrow. It just depends on when my kids go to bed, but while we’re here on text only. What’d you think dude? I told you andor was fucking phenomenal

I have no idea how this could possibly be from Disney. You were right; I cannot reconcile Andor as even taking place in the same universe as the other stuff, because going between Andor and Mando S3 feels like a fever dream.

The characters and story arcs are all so well-constructed. Not a single scene or detail feels wasted, and basically everything we see has a payoff, from major plot beats all the way down to minor characters who barely even speak. Everything characters do has real consequences that catch back up with them or someone else at some point.

And damn, that last episode was just payoff city. So many characters and actions throughout the series lead to that climax, and it is so satisfying to see it all come to a head at the same time. 

The Empire were portrayed with a lot more nuance and humanity than they’ve ever had before, but without sacrificing their place as the clear villains of the story. And the show also did something that Star Wars has always struggled with by actually making the Rebels just as cool and enjoyable to follow as the Empire. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

I have no idea how this could possibly be from Disney. You were right; I cannot reconcile Andor as even taking place in the same universe as the other stuff, because going between Andor and Mando S3 feels like a fever dream.

The characters and story arcs are all so well-constructed. Not a single scene or detail feels wasted, and basically everything we see has a payoff, from major plot beats all the way down to minor characters who barely even speak. Everything characters do has real consequences that catch back up with them or someone else at some point.

And damn, that last episode was just payoff city. So many characters and actions throughout the series lead to that climax, and it is so satisfying to see it all come to a head at the same time. 

The Empire were portrayed with a lot more nuance and humanity than they’ve ever had before, but without sacrificing their place as the clear villains of the story. And the show also did something that Star Wars has always struggled with by actually making the Rebels just as cool and enjoyable to follow as the Empire. 

Like it’s insane how good it was. Every character had a background and a reason for being where they were. Their wasn’t any shoe-horned in sequences our anything like that. Every detail mattered and was present. I don’t even have a guess as to what changed from everything else to this. Like did Kathleen Kennedy just keep her cancer ridden, shit crusted fingers off or what? But be far my favorite parts where 

everything with Kino Loy, and my heart broke when he said he can’t swim

and the funeral from start to finish. Especially when Andor’s adoptive mothers hologram was speaking and the empires reaction to it. Like the funeral procession was somber, but rebellious and the imperial reaction was perfect. Then how tense it felt right when homie went up and covered the droid to the fight. It was insanely good

• Like 1

Fuck:dntknw:

1 hour ago, Centurion said:

everything with Kino Loy, and my heart broke when he said he can’t swim

I’ve avoided mentioning or referencing that arc on here at all because it’s such a spoiler that even describing it vaguely would give away a big thing that happens.

But yes, that was a fantastic series of episodes and Kino was the highlight. His speech at the end was one of the most powerful scenes in the entire show. And the guy is such a great fucking actor, goes through a huge range of mindsets and emotions throughout.

And yeah, the funereal was it for me as well. Like I said, it’s just payoff after payoff after payoff, some reaching all the way back to things that were set up in episode 1. All taking place in the spot where his father was hanged. It was perfect.

I was also a really big fan of Luthen. Knowing about his existence, the lengths he went, and the sacrifices he made, it really makes the thought of Luke and Han getting their medals and being the big heroes of the rebellion hit very differently. They were heroes, for sure, but this show is all about the forgotten heroes who made it all possible for them, and Luthen was chief among them. But he will never be thanked or recognized for the role he played. 

Every arc was great, so it feels redundant to keep repeating that, but one moment that I really liked was the ending of the heist, when the survivors get away and "the Eye" celestial event occurs. And for a brief time, all the locals and the Imperials seem to forget their differences and just appreciate something magnificent and wondrous together. Not as rival factions, but simply as people. It was a very humanizing moment for the Empire.

Speaking of the heist, I really liked the young guy who wrote his rebel manifesto. Some of the shit he said about how empires and oppressive systems function was so spot on and close to home that I’m actually kinda surprised that it made it into the show. Whoever wrote that character better watch his back, because his writings are not at all what his Disney employers stand for. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, BigBossBalrog said:

The finale for Mando was fucking horrible; they pretty much turned Moff Gideon's private army of commandos into SLAPSTICK comedy actors; what the fuck was Faveu smoking? Was he like "fuck I get to make amazing Dinosaur documentaries now, fuck Star Wars!" 

Apart from the middle of episode 3 (ie the one that’s clearly from a different show), that sounds entirely consistent with the rest of the season. I recently watched the one with Jack Black and the large rapper lady. It was some of the dumbest shit I’ve seen in Star Wars.

My brain is still fixated on Andor. My interest in the rest of this crap begins and ends as morbid curiosity. 

The last few episodes really shilled Bo (The person who used to sexually harass teenagers) as the true main character and it's really hurting the pace cause it's also making a palty attempt to keep Djin and Boba Yoda relevant too.

The entire season felt like a weird ass cosplayer convention (with all the fan made Mandalorian suits), mixed with the format of an RPG (a medicore one XD); it's just been fetch quests. 

Just now, BigBossBalrog said:

I'd rather play a bad RPG filled with crazy shit (Dragon Age 2) then a mediocre one (Vahalla) XD

So would I, but this season of Mandalorian is way worse than mediocre. Besides 30 minutes of one episode, I struggle to think of anything positive to say about it so far. It’s shit even by modern Star Wars standards and that’s saying a lot. 

I mean the only time I had a guttural reaction to it's shit factor was the last few episodes; the rest of the season made me sleepy. I was kinda like "Okay this is still kind of enjoyable" for the first two episodes, before I realized it was just so dull, I kinda just watched it without watching it. 

The very lower end of mediocre that's honestly worst because something bad keeps me up more XD

Just now, BigBossBalrog said:

The very lower end of mediocre that's honestly worst because something bad keeps me up more XD

Not everything bad is fun. This shit is absolutely way worse than Dragon Age 2 by any standard. And not just the last two episodes (I haven’t even seen those yet :P). The writing and characters are so bad that it’s actually embarrassing to watch. And I watch Batwoman. XD