Roleplayer’s Off Topic Thread #11

What will the Fallout announcement be?  

7 members have voted

1. 1. What will the Fallout announcement be?

• New Game (HALLELUJAH IT'S RAINING MEN, HALLELUJAH!")
    • Remake/Remaster (*Insert sad animu piano music*)
    • DLC (*Screams of the damned*)
    • Switch Port ("CRAWWWWWLLLING IN MY SKIN, THESSSSSSE WOUNDS WILLLLLL NOT HEALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!")

7 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

I loved me some Legos as a kid. But that settlement building nonsense is not Fallout. Especially if it ends up being some kind of stupid first person game of tower defense.

And I’m like Colonel in that it is one of the last games I would want online play in. 

I said I reserve my judgement. Doesn't mean I wont dislike it if the mechanics are poorly implemented. And honestly, tower defense and horde mode would be really boring and pretty counter of what is supposed to be a largely desolate world. If anything I'd say it would probably lean more towards survival game. Which from what I hear tends be lots of grinding an aimlessness. Which I wouldn't like either. 

Truth be told, I don't have much hopes. But I wont shit on the game just yet. 

• Like 1

Power corrupts, absolute power... is a whole lot of fun!

10 minutes ago, Witchking of Angmar said:

Truth be told, I don't have much hopes. But I wont shit on the game just yet. 

Fair enough. I’ll gladly admit I was wrong if it turns out to be great. I’m just bitter about the direction the series has been going down for a while and feel like venting. Same as many people, actually.

13 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

Fair enough. I’ll gladly admit I was wrong if it turns out to be great. I’m just bitter about the direction the series has been going down for a while and feel like venting. Same as many people, actually.

I do hope this isn't a sign of where the series as a whole will be going. But I do think it's better that if they want to try something radical they should do it with a spinoff game. 

Power corrupts, absolute power... is a whole lot of fun!

39 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

I loved me some Legos as a kid. But that settlement building nonsense is not Fallout. Especially if it ends up being some kind of stupid first person game of tower defense.

And I’m like Colonel in that it is one of the last games I would want online play in. 

Hell I won a LEGO contest for a spaceship I made at military brat daycare...

Still don’t wanna play that shit.

"Even the hardest dick must go flaccid." -Colonelkillabee

7 minutes ago, Witchking of Angmar said:

I do hope this isn't a sign of where the series as a whole will be going. But I do think it's better that if they want to try something radical they should do it with a spinoff game. 

I felt like they did enough more than enough radical shit in their last main game. The last “spinoff” Fallout had was more like  traditional Fallout than anything Bethesda has ever made. Maybe that’s part of why I’m annoyed too. Discovering that it was a spinoff gave me a little hope.

"Originally prototyped as a multiplayer version of Fallout 4 with the goal of envisioning what an online Fallout game might look like, Fallout: 76 has evolved quite a bit over the past few years, those sources said. It will have quests and a story, like any other game from Bethesda Game Studios, a developer known for meaty RPGs like Skyrim. It will also feature base-building—just like 2015's Fallout 4—and other survival-based and multiplayer mechanics, according to those sources. One source cautioned that the gameplay is rapidly changing, like it does in many online “service” games, but that’s the core outline." 

Sounds like a shitty version of DUST or FROST

2 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

It doesn’t sound that bad. FROST is still way too bare bones to compare to a full game.

Where did you get all that from? Kotaku?

Yep

FROST was in a very good place last time I played it. Does feel like it's own thing but it does need a ton of work.

I don't know..this is like twenty years after the nukes dropped. Trying to build a stronghold for you and some other survivors makes alot more sense then it did in Fallout 4. Im actually somewhat excited to see what the fuck we'll be trying to survive from. There's no Enclave and Super Mutants yet right?

6 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

There's no Enclave and Super Mutants yet right?

That’s right. If it’s set in the east, there shouldn’t be any Enclave or Super Mutants (since the latter were just in D.C.). No BoS either. The only factions we should recognize are prewar ones like Vault-Tec or U.S. military remnants.

7 minutes ago, BTCollins said:

Here’s the full article.

“Fallout 76 has evolved quite a bit over the past few years, those sources said. It will have quests and a story, like any other game from Bethesda Game Studios,”

At least there is this. If it’s not an MMO and the story can still be played single player, I’ll feel a little better. But if it’s mainly focused around building, I doubt I’ll care for it even if I can play offline.

Just now, The Good Doctor said:

“Fallout 76 has evolved quite a bit over the past few years, those sources said. It will have quests and a story, like any other game from Bethesda Game Studios,”

At least there is this. If it’s not an MMO and the story can still be played single player, I’ll feel a little better. But if it’s mainly focused around building, I doubt I’ll care for it.

I hope it at least captures the feel of Fallout, even if I don’t care for its actual gameplay or mechanics. I didn’t like ESO for that reason, but liked the lore it gave us, and I would love if F76 does the same. Though there’s some budding cautious optimism since it’s not an MMO and there seem to be some single player aspects. At least now we have something definitive to look forward to at Beth’s E3 conference. 

• Like 1

Though the type of game this is, and how it seems to be using F4 mechanics and being developed by BGS Austin, does give me hope that the main part of BGS is working on whatever Starfield is and we’ll see it is soon. The sooner it comes out, the sooner we get TES VI. And who knows, maybe Starfield is an RPG and will be a good game in its own right. After the failure of ME: A, there’s room for a space rpg.

24 minutes ago, BTCollins said:

I hope it at least captures the feel of Fallout, even if I don’t care for its actual gameplay or mechanics. I didn’t like ESO for that reason, but liked the lore it gave us, and I would love if F76 does the same. Though there’s some budding cautious optimism since it’s not an MMO and there seem to be some single player aspects. At least now we have something definitive to look forward to at Beth’s E3 conference. 

What’s funny is that a survival game could still easily end up being better than Fallout 4. XD Tactics wasn’t much of an RPG either but I liked it better than 3 or 4. And Fallout is still my favorite series, so I obviously really hope that I’m eating my words a year from now and it’s actually a great game even if it is different.

Although Day Z and Rust would not be high on the list of survival games that I’d want to hear they’ve been inspired by. Something like Stalker would be way better.

• Like 1