Roleplayer's Off Topic Thread #39

@Celan @TheCzarsHussar

Some Pillars talk, cause why not?

I don’t know if it’s just me making loose connections, but do y’all get the impression that the Dyrwood is inspired by early America? 

It started as a colony to the biggest empire in the world, won its independence in a revolution, and has since been ruled by a more democratic system without any monarchs, adopting many aspects of the culture they left behind while creating new ones to suit what they have become.

The people are characterized as fiercely independent, with a frontiersy sort of culture that loves guns and blowing shit up (Durance even makes the "great equalizer" argument). Foreigners often regard them as backwards and ignorant, but this mainly stems from the Dyrwoodians’ religiousness and personalities rather than actual lack of intelligence. In fact, their disdain for top-down regulation has led to many innovations in science and animancy.

Their colonization of the land has led to many conflicts and treaties with the native tribes. But their expansion is generally local to the continent, and they’ve shown little interest in empire-building or getting involved in foreign affairs overseas. Most rival nations and empires seem to view them as a sleeping giant, capable of making huge splashes on the world stage if they ever get drawn to it.

I dunno, maybe I’m just connecting dots that I want to see, but I do really enjoy the idea of it being something of a "fantasy America", as it’s something of a rare concept in the sea of "fantasy Englands, Britains, Romes, Japans, Scandinavias", etc. And granted, Obsidian developed their world well enough that it still very much stands as its own thing (just calling it fantasy America would be reductive and unfair), but I think the parallels are there.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Celan said:

That's a pretty good theory. I think game devs usually start in some place familiar to most players which would be the US and northern Europe. Hence "Ferelden" (England) for Dragon Age, etc.

My first playthrough I wasn’t really thinking about it that much. Then this time it just struck me at one point, like "damn, these Dyrwoodians feel very familiar…". :lol: 

But yeah, JE Sawyer definitely does that. Before the game came out, he talked about how the reason why he spent so much effort fleshing out the languages and cultures of Aedyr, the Dyrwood, and Glanfathans is that the inspirations for them come from places that he’s just more familiar and comfortable with. 

And just the fact that you're an immigrant seeking to make your way is pretty classic American.

Speaking of 'murica, Buzzfeed asked ChatGPT what Europeans think Americans from each state look like. Below is the entry for Missouri. Is this a friend of yours, Doc? XD

sub-buzz-1415-1689082056-1.webp

• Haha 2

22 minutes ago, Celan said:

And just the fact that you're an immigrant seeking to make your way is pretty classic American.

Better still, you’re a settler seeking to carve a place for yourself on the frontier, stagecoach caravan and all. You even get attacked by natives for trespassing on grounds they consider sacred.

22 minutes ago, Celan said:

Is this a friend of yours, Doc? XD

A customer. :lol: And not even my best one.

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

Did they do much to increase the difficulty? Because eight players should be nearly unstoppable in Firefight. 

Not now (the team is thinking of ways to do so), they're an option for custom games and were mainly done to accommodate the giant custom maps that are being made for the mode. 

What's really interesting is they implemented it by finding ancient code from BUNGIE; when Firefight was going to be a much more complicated mode 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

What's really interesting is they implemented by finding ancient code from BUNGIE; when Firefight was going to be a much more complicated mode 

That’s pretty cool, actually. I like how a lot of the MCC updates seem to come from old Bungie concepts, like the cut aliens and gameplay modes.

Now if only they could make the Bungie inspired Halo 4…

31 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

Now if only they could make the Bungie inspired Halo 4…

My memory is really fuzzy on it, but I swear due to the subtle foreshadowing in the legendarium of Halo 3 Legendary Edition's disk 2, that the Engineers were going to play a big part in Bungie's Halo 4.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, The Good Doctor said:

And Dales has… this guy…

3beb8ec6d5631ce10c695229e2339397.jpg

:rofl:

Actually thinking about it Askeladd reminds me alot of Baldur; just even more of a trickster asshole XD

21 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

How so?

More then a little  actually; there political pawns that are being used as sacrificial lambs (spineless people with huge Daddy issues), and them being taken hostage it kickstarts an arc that liberates them at a huge cost. XD

2 minutes ago, TheCzarsHussar said:

Bold of you to say something so untrue

Your saying the guy who butchered an entire village after stealing all their food and manipulated a child to use as his personal hitman wasn't a manipulative asshole 

XD

Askeladd's way too cool to pretend he isn't anything but a horrible person XD

2 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

Hide contents

Your saying the guy who butchered an entire village after stealing all their food and manipulated a child to use as his personal hitman wasn't a manipulative asshole 

XD

Askeladd's way too cool to pretend he isn't anything but a horrible person XD

Baldur would do that and more in a heartbeat if it was Elves.

• Haha 1