Roleplayer's Off Topic Thread #39

Thanks for the rec on Midnight Mass- it was amazing. The only problem being that this is the kind of TV show that spoils you for other TV shows. Figures that Netflix would let Mike Flanagan get away but pay so much money for trash.

Speaking of characters that remind us of the RP, I'm better than halfway through the other trilogy in Mark Lawrence's Broken Empire series. The protagonist is an annoying little shit, but his sidekick is basically Boldir, and the story revolves around him as much as the MC. Good stuff.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Celan said:

Thanks for the rec on Midnight Mass- it was amazing. The only problem being that this is the kind of TV show that spoils you for other TV shows. Figures that Netflix would let Mike Flanagan get away but pay so much money for trash.

I don't really care if it's Netflix or Amazon paying him to make stuff; as long as the money keeps flowing and he's given creative liberty to work his magic XD

His adaption of Fall of the House of Usher is going to be his last Netflix show; so hopefully he goes out with a bang there. 

As for Midnight Mass

One of the coolest examples of Vampires in American Gothic, reminded me alot of Salem's Lot, one of the reasons I love it so much XD I only wish they could do more with the universe (there was a planned second season but it got cancelled :() cause I liked the Vampire shit so much. 

• Like 1

Just now, Celan said:

Speaking of characters that remind us of the RP, I'm better than halfway through the other trilogy in Mark Lawrence's Broken Empire series. The protagonist is an annoying little shit, but his sidekick is basically Boldir, and the story revolves around him as much as the MC. Good stuff.

Yeah, like Balrog said, Flanagan was better than Netflix deserved. Hill House is my favorite of his shows, but Midnight Mass is a very easy second. The preacher character in particular was top notch.

I picked up the first book of trilogy 1, by the way. Got a digital copy to save money, but I’ll start buying the prints if I like it enough. Why’s the sidekick remind you of Boldir?

9 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

His adaption of Fall of the House of Usher is going to be his last Netflix show; so hopefully he goes out with a bang there. 

Reveal hidden contents

One of the coolest examples of Vampires in American Gothic, reminded me alot of Salem's Lot, one of the reasons I love it so much XD I only wish they could do more with the universe (there was a planned second season but it got cancelled :() cause I liked the Vampire shit so much. 

I’m so ready for Fall of the House of Usher. That’s gonna be sweet.

Hell, even Bly Manor was good. I wouldn’t say that I liked it that much, but it was well made and written. And probably the only one of his shows where the ending didn’t feel rushed (the opposite, it kinda dragged on XD).

Yeah, shame the MM sequel is canceled. And agreed on the vampire. Downright amazing way to depict them. I loved the "origin" of it, or at least as far back as the preacher’s experience goes, being this ancient beast beneath the sands of Israel. Gave it a Biblical feel. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

I’m so ready for Fall of the House of Usher. That’s gonna be sweet.

Hell, even Bly Manor was good. I wouldn’t say that I liked it that much, but it was well made and written. And probably the only one of his shows where the ending didn’t feel rushed (the opposite, it kinda dragged on XD).

Hide contents

Yeah, shame the sequel is canceled. And agreed on the vampire. Downright amazing way to depict them. I loved the "origin" of it, or at least as far back as the preacher’s experience goes, being this ancient beast beneath the sands of Israel. Gave it a Biblical feel. 

Bly Manor is super slowburn horror (ish XD) Reminds me of The Others

So I understand why you might not necessarily enjoy it, even if you appreciate how well made it is. For what it's worth, I liked it alot more on my second watch and could stew on it a little more 

On the other hand, it, and his other projects show he isn't a one trick pony and can do alot of different horror genres seamlessly. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

Yeah, like Balrog said, Flanagan was better than Netflix deserved. Hill House is my favorite of his shows, but Midnight Mass is a very easy second. The preacher character in particular was top notch.

I picked up the first book of trilogy 1, by the way. Got a digital copy to save money, but I’ll start buying the prints if I like it enough. Why’s the sidekick remind you of Boldir?

He's a bigass Viking, for one thing. XD Also his sense of honor and loyal friendship, and a main driver of the story is that he's looking for his family who were taken captive.

I'd almost say you have to listen to the audio books. The narrator of the first trilogy was so good. Hopefully the same sense will come across in print. I don't like the narrator for the second one nearly as much, so it took me a while to settle in to it.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

Bly Manor is super slowburn horror (ish XD) Reminds me of The Others

So I understand why you might not necessarily enjoy it, even if you appreciate how well made it is. For what it's worth, I liked it alot more on my second watch and could stew on it a little more 

On the other hand, it, and his other projects show he isn't a one trick pony that can do alot of different horror genres seamlessly. 

Oh yeah for sure, credit where it’s due, Bly Manor has some stellar writing and delivers the kind of existential terror that leaves you uncomfortably thinking about it for days afterwards. The flashback episode with the house’s original occupants was particularly good.

But it’s not really scary in the moment (it wasn’t trying to be), and it was a very slow burn and I got bored pretty frequently. That never happened for even a second of Hill House. But I will concede that Bly’s finale, while too slow in the middle, does tie the storylines up much better than Hill House’s did.

Which makes sense, because Hill House’s ending was a rewrite. The ending Flanagan intended while writing most of the show was much darker, and would’ve involved my favorite character dying. Too dark, I guess, because they scrapped it for one that felt very forced just to give characters happier endings. 

I love a good happy ending. I think the trope of downer horror endings is overdone. But it’s gotta be earned. Better a well-done sad ending than a rushed and confusing happy one. 

1 minute ago, The Good Doctor said:

Oh yeah for sure, credit where it’s due, Bly Manor has some stellar writing and delivers the kind of existential terror that leaves you uncomfortably thinking about it for days afterwards. The flashback episode with the house’s original occupants was particularly good.

But it’s not really scary in the moment (it wasn’t trying to be), and it was a very slow burn and I got bored pretty frequently. That never happened for even a second of Hill House. But I will concede that Bly’s finale (while way too long) ties the storylines up much better than Hill House’s did.

Hide contents

Which makes sense, because Hill House’s ending was a rewrite. The ending Flanagan intended while writing the show was much darker. Too dark, I guess, because they scrapped it for one that felt very forced just to give characters happier endings. 

I love a good happy ending. I think the trope of downer horror endings is overdone. But it’s gotta be earned. Better a well-done sad ending than a rushed and confusing good one. 

The original Shirley Jackson book also had a very dark (and memorable) ending; I know it was more of a "loose" adaption, but if there was anything it shouldn't have diverged from; it was the ending XD

Speaking of weird ass horror auteurs, Robert Eggers Nosferatu remake just finished shooting; that's another project I'm really looking forward too; especially with William Dafoe playing Van Helsing :rofl:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

Speaking of weird ass horror auteurs, Robert Eggers Nosferatu remake just finished shooting; that's another project I'm really looking forward too; especially with William Dafoe playing Van Helsing :rofl:

Robert Eggers and Willem Dafoe have turned into such an amazing duo. XD I’ll definitely be watching that.

I haven’t read the Hill House book, but I’ve heard the show has basically no resemblance to it. 

Just now, The Good Doctor said:

Robert Eggers and Willem Dafoe have turned into such an amazing duo. XD I’ll definitely be watching that.

I haven’t read the Hill House book, but I’ve heard the show has basically no resemblance to it. 

In terms of themes and the depiction of the "all devouring, "Genus Loki", house" they actually are quite similar. My favorite quote from the book

"No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality; even larks and katydids are supposed, by some, to dream. Hill House, not sane, stood by itself against its hills, holding darkness within; it had stood so for eighty years and might stand for eighty more. Within, walls continued upright, bricks met neatly, floors were firm, and doors were sensibly shut; silence lay steadily against the wood and stone of Hill House, and whatever walked there, walked alone.”

In terms of plot, only Theo was carried over for some reason XD

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Celan said:

He's a bigass Viking, for one thing. XD Also his sense of honor and loyal friendship, and a main driver of the story is that he's looking for his family who were taken captive.

I'd almost say you have to listen to the audio books. The narrator of the first trilogy was so good. Hopefully the same sense will come across in print. I don't like the narrator for the second one nearly as much, so it took me a while to settle in to it.

Sounds about right. XD 

My trouble with audiobooks is that I’ll sometimes drift off with a thought miss a few paragraphs without realizing it, and and have to rewind. But if it’s that good, I may give it a shot. 

1 hour ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

This is what got me to watch it finally xD

:rofl: 

Going off this video, I think the closest one of our characters gets to one of these is Brund and Thorkell the Tall. XD  I feel like this is basically exactly what Brund would be if he didn't have Baldur to obsess over.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

:rofl: 

Going off this video, I think the closest one of our characters gets to one of these is Brund and Thorkell the Tall. XD  I feel like this is basically exactly what Brund would be if he didn't have Baldur to obsess over.

Thorkell lives to fight and kill but he doesn't like prolonging suffering; he's not a sadist and he's pretty good company unlike Brund XD

He also has zero ambition; he's fine being a living weapon thats unleashed by whoever controls his reigns.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, The Good Doctor said:

Sounds about right. XD 

My trouble with audiobooks is that I’ll sometimes drift off with a thought miss a few paragraphs without realizing it, and and have to rewind. But if it’s that good, I may give it a shot. 

Yeah, I understand. (Un)fortunately, I have an hourlong commute these days and with these books, I've actually looked forward to my story hour in the afternoons.

@The Good Doctor Director's Cut for Last of Us 2 was confirmed by a voice actor today;  looks like Naughty Dog realized if they made a Season 2 in the vein of the OG game; actual non-gamer normies would be marching towards there office XD 

I highly doubt they can fix the entire clusterfuck that is the plot, but maybe they can salvage a little of the revenge arc by letting you kill you know who XD

8 hours ago, BigBossBalrog said:

@The Good Doctor Director's Cut for Last of Us 2 was confirmed by a voice actor today;  looks like Naughty Dog realized if they made a Season 2 in the vein of the OG game; actual non-gamer normies would be marching towards there office XD 

I highly doubt they can fix the entire clusterfuck that is the plot, but maybe they can salvage a little of the revenge arc by letting you kill you know who XD

Don’t let them fool you. The original TLoU2 was the Director’s cut. From everything Druckman said, that was the game he wanted to make.

I don’t think they’ll change anything significant regarding the story, ending, or any of the controversial parts. They’re too committed to their stance that it was perfect.

I doubt they change any plans for the show based on this.

Just now, ColonelKillaBee said:

This nigga rolled the fuckin viking ship sideways just for an entrance so you knew who the fuck you were dealing with :rofl: 

The best was when he made his men carry his longship overland with him standing on the front with his sword pointed forward as they stormed a castle. XD 

2 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

The best was when he made his men carry his longship overland with him standing on the front with his sword pointed forward as they stormed a castle. XD 

He just takes it to the other side of the water overland so he can sail his men to a side of the castle thats least defended lol but yea it was still outrageously badass lmao 

"Even the hardest dick must go flaccid." -Colonelkillabee