Roleplayer’s Off Topic Thread #19

It is supposed to be a kid's tale, and I was a kid watching it when I grew up so there's no issue there.

But that's kinda why I didn't like Rogue One. I don't need star wars to be super gritty or whatever. I watch star wars to be dazzled by laser swords (i hate when they call them that XD ) Space magic and cool space ship battles.

My enjoyment of the series is pretty simplistic.

Oh and also the duels. The duels are the best part of the series for me. Anakin vs Obiwan was on par with Zuko vs Azula.

"Even the hardest dick must go flaccid." -Colonelkillabee

Just now, BigBossBalrog said:

There's so many questionable moments in those "kid" tales though

w9NMjaZ.gif

Its definitely dark, I mean they blow up entire planets.

But even so, good vs evil, light vs dark, they were originally meant to be simplistic enough for kids to understand and the story before was a very classic hero's journey tale.

It wasn't really meant to be gritty. It's moving in that direction now though in my opinion, because that's whats popular now and also because they gotta do something different to keep intrigue in the series alive.

9 minutes ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

the story before was a very classic hero's journey tale.

This is why I always liked Star Wars before. I love a well done hero’s journey, and imo the OT tells a very good one.

I like Rogue One for very different reasons. But I like it nonetheless.

The prequels have kinda grown on me ever since I stopped taking it seriously and just enjoy it for the laughs. They’re in this weird state where the storyline is darker than the OT, but the tone feels way more kiddie.

It's always nice when your writing gets reinforced by the canon after you come up with it.

Just now, The Good Doctor said:

This is why I always liked Star Wars before. I love a well done heroe’s journey, and imo the OT does a very good one.

I liked Rogue One for very different reasons, but I liked it nonetheless.

The prequels have kinda grown on me ever since I stopped taking it seriously and just enjoy it for the laughs. They’re in this weird state where the storyline is darker than the OT, but the tone feels way more kiddie.

I think that was GL trying to keep the original star wars vibe while telling a much different tale, which for the most part I think works. The fun parts of the movie were very well done imo, and when they're gone and Anakin turns hitler, missing those times just makes his corruption hurt even more.

Especially when you remember he was this cute badass little kid before and then somehow turned into this little shit when he got a lightsaber.

Just like most teenagers XD 

The parts I dislike mainly are the political "intrigue" and him and Sithis rolling around in flower fields.

8 minutes ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

Especially when you remember he was this cute badass little kid before and then somehow turned into this little shit when he got a lightsaber.

Wasn't really Anakins fault. Everyone else treated him special (when he grew up in the temple, he was constantly exposed to the belief so many people believed him to the Chosen One. The fucking CHANCELLOR had taken an interest in his life and has basically put him under his wing, and was being partially trained by YODA as well as Obi Wan)

Why do you think he started believing he was hot shit? Because he grew up with his peers telling him all the time he was hot shit. His brattyiness is the fault of the Jedi Order. 

5 minutes ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

I think that was GL trying to keep the original star wars vibe while telling a much different tale, which for the most part I think works. 

It didn’t for me. That’s why it took me so long to really even like the prequels. The tone felt so off to me. The OT was a very black and white hero’s journey, yeah, but that doesn’t make it for children. To me, until the Ewoks became a thing 2/3 into the last movie, it still felt more like it was made for an audience older than 12.

The prequels were the reverse. It felt like it was for children, with poop jokes, gag characters, and stupid dialogue, right up until 2/3 into the last movie, when it suddenly became way more mature. XD

It's always nice when your writing gets reinforced by the canon after you come up with it.

Just now, BigBossBalrog said:

Wasn't really Anakins fault. Everyone else treated him special (when he grew up in the temple, he was constantly exposed to the belief so many people believed him to the Chosen One. The fucking CHANCELLOR had taken an interest in his life and has basically put him under his wing, and was being partially trained by YODA as well as Obi Wan)

Why do you think he started believing he was hot shit? Because he grew up with his peers telling him all the time he was hot shit. His brattyiness is the fault of the Jedi Order. 

Fuck that they made him work to earn everything, t was his natural ability and his own hot headednees that made him a little shit.

Its a typical tale of a brat that refuses to listen to his parents/the Jedi failing to address his feelings about his dead mom adequately. That is where they failed

1 minute ago, The Good Doctor said:

It didn’t for me. That’s why it took me so long to really even like the prequels. The tone felt so off to me. The OT was a very black and white hero’s journey, yeah, but that doesn’t make it for children. To me, until the Ewoks became a thing 2/3 into the last movie, it still felt more like it was made for an audience older than 12.

The prequels were the reverse. It felt like it was for children, with poop jokes, gag characters, and stupid dialogue, right up until 2/3 into the last movie, when it suddenly became way more mature. XD

I’m pretty sure he said it was mainly intended for kids, but yea I can see where you’re coming from. It was a children’s tale in its simplicity originally, but the prequels took it even further

1 minute ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

I tried, I really did. I just couldn’t get into it. It all just feels like fanfiction.

How can it be fanfiction when the creator of the franchise had such a heavy role in making it XD

The first season is trash (with some hidden gems) Once you get past it, I kid you not it becomes fucking great XD It's on netflix, you should give it another shot

1 minute ago, BigBossBalrog said:

How can it be fanfiction when the creator of the franchise had such a heavy role in making it XD

The first season is trash (with some hidden gems) Once you get past it, I kid you not it becomes fucking great XD It's on netflix, you should give it another shot

I guess because it was poorly done? I don’t know, but that’s all it feels like to me.

Anakin for instance feels like their attempt at repairing his performance in the movie. Plus it gives him an apprentice and he was barely a master for what, days, weeks in the movie? It seems shoehorned to me.

Mature storytelling is not just about being PG-13. I don't know how to explain it except to compare to The Expanse. It's hard to even see those stories as being in the same genre.

Not to say you can't still be entertained by it, some kids' stories are pretty good. It just doesn't work for me. The BF even stopped dragging me to see them.

Just now, ColonelKillaBee said:

I guess because it was poorly done? I don’t know, but that’s all it feels like to me.

Anakin for instance feels like their attempt at repairing his performance in the movie. Plus it gives him an apprentice and he was barely a master for what, days, weeks in the movie? It seems shoehorned to me.

You don't need to be a master to have an apprentice. Obi Wan had Anakin as his apprentice a single DAY after he was made a Jedi Knight.

Plus it gives him an apprentice and he was barely a master for what, days, weeks in the movie? It seems shoehorned to me.

He never became a Master in the movies. It’s why he threw his bitch fit. 

Just now, The Good Doctor said:

He never became a Master in the movies. It’s why he threw his bitch fit. 

Which is explained well in the show too, it actually shows Anaklin having very good reasons for being very distrustful to the council, and it shows why that was such a big slap in the face to him. 

1 minute ago, BigBossBalrog said:

Which is explained well in the show too, it actually shows Anaklin having very good reasons for being very distrustful to the council, and it shows why that was such a big slap in the face to him. 

More reason why it feels like fsnfiction. That’s all well and good but I can’t see it as canon when original anakin was just a little shit with no patience that got corrupted by Palpatine

I thought he was a master but not given a council seat, or was that the opposite

Even more reason the show was weird

Opposite. 

Though Balrog’s right, that parts not really weird. He was still a Knight, not an apprentice. So he was able to have an apprentice of his own. 

2 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

Opposite. 

Though Balrog’s right, that parts not really weird. He was still a Knight, not an apprentice. So he was able to have an apprentice of his own. 

Fair enough, the rest still stands though. It would be like if I went back to chapter 1 of this RP and started writing on my own, adding to events that happened to repair things I didn’t like