Roleplayer’s Off Topic Thread #19

7 minutes ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

Aniken and Walter White are the only ones I can think of

Some ones I can think of.

Hannibal Lector

The main character in pretty much every mob or organized crime story. Tony Soprano, Scarface, the guys in Pulp Fiction and Resovoir Dogs, etc.

Did you play the Force Unleashed? I liked the guy in that. He becomes a hero in the end, but for most of the game the main character is a straight up Sith.

The Boss from Saints Row 2. And most characters you play as in GTA games. And Morgan in the new RDR.

Thanos, kinda. Lol. The writers considered him the main character.

2 minutes ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

Ragnar Lothbrok?

Specifically in Vikings

Good one. 

3 minutes ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

Thinking back on it I really hate how shit rarely happened on that show. Like fucking Rollo and his French phase and how he killed a bunch of Norsemen one week and the next he was back again.

The Last Kingdom suffers from that a tad too

I was routing for him slaughtering the Vikings XD

It makes more sense for Uthred though, since he's half Saxon and half Viking and has friends on both sides. 

Just now, ColonelKillaBee said:

Like fucking Rollo and his French phase and how he killed a bunch of Norsemen one week and the next he was back again.

He never really ditched the French thing. Going raiding with Bjorn was like a vacation. XD Rollo’s gotta go crazy in his old age, sacrifice a bunch of priests, and die as the Duke of Normandy. History demands it. 

But yeah, I agree. The first two or three seasons were great, but then it really started to become a slog. It felt like they were trying to copy Game of Thrones a hit with how much they were expanding the cast of major characters. And so we ended up with almost equal screen time for 6 or 7 people who don’t have shit going on and 1 or 2 who we actually want to watch.

1 minute ago, The Good Doctor said:

Some ones I can think of.

Hannibal Lector

The main character in pretty much every mob or organized crime story. Tony Soprano, Scarface, the guys in Pulp Fiction and Resovoir Dogs, etc.

Did you play the Force Unleashed? I liked the guy in that. He becomes a hero in the end, but for most of the game the main character is a straight up Sith.

The Boss from Saints Row 2. And most characters you play as in GTA games. And Morgan in the new RDR.

Thanos, kinda. Lol. The writers considered him the main character.

Good one. 

Hannibal Lector is a great one, definitely on my list. 

As much as I love crime movies I can’t put anyone from gta or those movies up there. Not sure why, maybe because it’s too obvious they’re not good?

Hannibal it should be pretty fucking obvious both in the show and movie but he’s so charming that he’s often fooled me. Especially in the show.

Funnily enough, Gravemind had that effect on me too at first. Not “charming” but as a kid I was pretty perplexed by how civil it was at first.

Though Hannibal retains this effect althroughout and even when he does shit that’s straight up evil he underminds that with kind acts... it’s almost like gaslighting.

"Even the hardest dick must go flaccid." -Colonelkillabee

1 minute ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

Especially in the show.

Yeah, in the movie you could always kinda guess that no matter how civil he acted, he was at least in part motivated by his desire to get out of that cell. In the show, the guy is able to pass it off like he genuinely cares about people sometimes. Even though in reality he just likes to study them. 

Just now, BigBossBalrog said:

Niko is probably one of the least villainous of the GTA prots though XD He's polite, nice, has many standards that he'll kill people for, etc etc.

And yet he’s still a gta character so, robbing, killing cops in droves, hitting pedestrians, etc lol. Anyone that gets in the way of his revenge dies.

Just now, The Good Doctor said:

Yeah, in the movie you could always kinda guess that no matter how civil he acted, he was at least in part motivated by his desire to get out of that cell. In the show, the guy is able to pass it off like he genuinely cares about people sometimes. Even though in reality he just likes to study them. 

Probably because of the guy playing him, aka White Jesus XD 

Also the character you mentioned in Unleashed is Starkiller. I’m not sure I like that one since he technically is sith but he starts to turn good and only goes full sith because going after Vader gets you beat, and Palpatine ends up turning you into a freak. It doesn’t really feel like he chose a path that lead him to being bad, he just gets fucked up and he picked the wrong choice.

That said, I do believe there was some moral dilemma in the choice but I can’t remember what it was.

1 minute ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

That said, I do believe there was some moral dilemma in the choice but I can’t remember what it was.

Revenge vs saving everybody, I guess. Palpatine is the mastermind and I believe he has all the prisoners, but Vader is the one who killed your father and stole your life.

I’d say that for a fair 1/2 to 2/3 of the game, Starkiller is definitely a villain protagonist. But he has a turn towards the Lifht somewhere in the middle. Then, depending on the ending he can go back to being a villain. The DLC even has you taking Vader’s role and hunting down all the heroes from the OT. Ben Kenobi, Luke, etc.