Roleplayer’s Off Topic Thread #19

4 minutes ago, Celan said:

Former Bioware dev on DA4's prospects. To be fair, he's pretty bitter about having to work on Frostbite engine on MEA.

Reading about what EA did to Bioware with DA2, I feel uncomfortable comparisons to my company which was bought out by big corporate this year. Basically I think every corporation now runs like this. They really don't care if they put out a shitty product and ruin their employees, as long as they don't get sued. If they can squeeze out a single penny more in dividends, they'll do it. I'm a capitalist, but these days companies don't use profit the way it should be used, which is to make a nice living for everyone and put it back into the business to make a better product- the bourgeouis values that built western civilization. Modern finance has distanced the money from the real. So, I believe gaming will only get worse and more expensive with less return. There are too many people using it as a drug who will keep feeding the shitty beast.  /vent

Devs ike Fromsoft and CD Project have extremely consistency put out great games for the last generation, in Fromsoft's case, under the monetary eyes of two of those called corporations, Sony and Bandai Namco. I think the "corporations ruined it" is a tired excuse". I know none of these mega companies are your friends, doesn't mean they can handle game development ethically on occasion, not all of them are like EA. Capcom, which was the THE example of corporate idiocy last generation, has turned around, and made some fantastic games in the last few years. I feel people just keep over stating how far game development has fallen...because where still getting quite a few very high quality products every year. It isn't the end of gaming all of a sudden. 

• Like 2

At that tweet tho, yea even bitter you can tell that he was trying to be tactful and failed to hide his real opinion XD 

Ive been reading up on it too and this game as a service shit is gonna keep me from buying it for sure.

If the rumors are true, it’s gonna be somewhat of a mix between Destiny, ESO and Tales where they’ll basically be constantly developing and selling us lore and quests like dlc, except that instead of being extra content in addition to the core game... it’s literally just constantly selling the story of the core game to you so they have sustained revenue.

Imagine that, where you order a pizza but gotta keep buying additional slices after the fact to get a complete 8.

"Even the hardest dick must go flaccid." -Colonelkillabee

2 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

Devs ike Fromsoft and CD Project have extremely consistency put out great games for the last generation, in Fromsoft's case, under the monetary eyes of two of those called corporations, Sony and Bandai Namco. I think the "corporations ruined it" is a tired excuse". I know none of these mega companies are your friends, doesn't mean they can handle game development ethically on occasion, not all of them are like EA. Capcom, which was the THE example of corporate idiocy last generation, has turned around, and made some fantastic games in the last few years. I feel people just keep over stating how far game development has fallen...because where still getting quite a few very high quality products every year. It isn't the end of gaming all of a sudden. 

Well, we'll have to disagree on that. The problem is that to be "ethical" is to lose your investment edge with people who don't care about the product, only the number on the bottom line. So to compete they all start acting badly.

5 minutes ago, Celan said:

Well, we'll have to disagree on that. The problem is that to be "ethical" is to lose your investment edge with people who don't care about the product, only the number on the bottom line. So to compete they all start acting badly.

I agree with this in most cases, every business tends to cut corners where they can.

Luckily though, the car industry as far as parts goes constantly changes in their demands and their quality requirements and is super competitive. I think that’s why Bosch operates how it does. In the past they had to shut down temporarily because they didn’t meet the plant standard and simply had no buyers so now they’re very anal about that. It’s why we have our customers constantly visiting us to see how we operate and how us lowly machine operators and inspectors do our jobs.

Ive spoken with reps from BMW, Honda, Ford and Chevy.

Which reminds me, don’t buy anything BMW.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

In completely opposite news, Bungie split from Activision to go completely independent a couple days ago. Here’s hoping they go back to their roots now that nobody has control over what they make.

Lit, here’s hoping activision is the reason their games have sucked so much as of late

22 minutes ago, Celan said:

There is a line for this with the consumers, though, so it’s not exactly a race to the bottom. EA’s biggest two games of the last couple years sold horribly because they acted so badly. Fallout 76 was one of the worst performing games Bethesda has ever created, because so many fans saw it for the greedy and lazy cash grab that it was and refused to buy it.

Then you’ve got CDPR, whose entire schtick was that they wouldn’t act badly, and the success of Witcher 3 proved that a pro-consumer model works. Same with God of War, which was literally just a game, with no micro transactions or online to speak of, and it performed extremely well.

I honestly think that the intense levels of shittiness we’ve seen from companies like EA has created a backlash and upped the demand for companies that act better. Obsidian makes great games, but I doubt they would be as hyped up as they are right now if Bethesda hadn’t pissed so many people off and gotten us to look elsewhere.

• Like 1

Oh and, that companies like CDPR actuslly got popular and successful because they arent bad like their competitors makes me wanna say it’s proof not all gaming companies are like this, but if anything the fact that they run on that slogan shows just how fucked the gaming industry has been as of late

Fromsoft only differs in that they’re still a good game developing company, I wouldn’t put them on par with CDPR who goes out of their way to please their fan base.

But they are up there. Making a game that is 100 percent single player as a design choice when your games in the past were not? Unprecedented.

• Like 2

In terms of FROM, I think it's more they do it differently. Sure CD gives alot of free stuff that's appreciated, and prove their image of the "good guy", but I feel Fromsoft's design went a long way to put them in the gold tier for me.

The recent resurgence in difficult games has been from the fact Dank Souls 1 showed the world you can still make bank on a game that doesn't compromise it's vision in terms of challenge. Look at all the games with difficulty sliders and hour long tutorials, and From was like "Fuck this shit, our consumers aren't morons" and they refused to compromise their vision of a dark fantasy world based on accessibility. They are intentionally refusing to make their games more marketable, because they have a vision as a dev, which is very admirable.  And not a single micro transactions or scummy business practice in the last decade. They make high quality games that don't treat their players like idiots, make meaningful expansions of said games that I don't mind paying for, and do right by their customer base. Not much more then you can ask for.  

And in terms of going out of their way to appease their customers, I still think they do that, look how amazing they treat their western fanbase. Extremley high quality Voice Dubs. High quality translations. So much you guys didn't even know they were Japanese XD Constant community interaction.  Basically unheard of a Japanese developer to have such a high quality standard for their western audience. 

1 minute ago, The Good Doctor said:

That’s not true, strictly speaking. Their games are extremely marketable. This is proven by the fact that every challenging game gets compared to Dark Souls now.

Well I suppose the "hard but fair" thing is to an extent, but I still think they would get even more sales (I know so many people who refuse to play From games cause their intimidated) if they put an optional easy mode, which they refuse to do since it goes against their game design.

6 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

Their games are extremely marketable. This is proven by the fact that every challenging game gets compared to Dark Souls now.

Yeah I literally appeals to every call of duty fanboy douche bag that also happens to like fantasy.  And especially competitive gamers that like to brag how good they are in comparison to others.

I say as I drag myself.

1 minute ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

Yeah I literally appeals to every call of duty fanboy douche bag that also happens to like fantasy.  And especially competitive gamers that like to brag how good they are in comparison to others.

I say as I drag myself.

I was about to mention how many times you bragged about how awesome you were for slaughtering scrubs in 3  XD

2 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

Well I suppose the "hard but fair" thing is to an extent, but I still think they would get even more sales (I know so many people who refuse to play From games cause their intimidated) if they put an optional easy mode, which they refuse to do since it goes against their game design.

I don’t think the games would stand out nearly as much if they could be easy. There are lots of great aspects of From’s games, but the difficulty is 100% the top thing they are marketed by. Just watch any of the gameplay trailers. Half of them are just the protagonist get killed over and over again in various ways.

Just now, BigBossBalrog said:

I was about to mention how many times you bragged about how awesome you were for slaughtering scrubs in 3  XD

At least when I do it, you know it’s true because I often give video proof, LOL. And I’m still waiting to spank your ass to a trap beat.