Roleplayer’s Off Topic Thread #9

2 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

That’s surprising, since the game focused heavily on Molag Bal and Meridia. I would’ve thought that it’s where they drew much of this from.

Unrelated, but I find it funny that I’ve been typing Molag Bal for over ten years and autocorrect is now trying to change “Molag” to “Mila’s”.

That's a pretty creepy Freudian slip Doc XD

35 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

That’s surprising, since the game focused heavily on Molag Bal and Meridia. I would’ve thought that it’s where they drew much of this from.

Unrelated, but I find it funny that I’ve been typing Molag Bal for over ten years and autocorrect is now trying to change “Molag” to “Mila’s”.

It talks about the carapace and stuff, even added a poem and talks about the times Vivec fought the Ruddy Man. Didn’t even know that was from TESO till now, though sometimes they just put the online tag if it’s also in TESO so it might’ve actually been from 36 lessons, can’t remember.

But nothing about love.

• Like 1

"Even the hardest dick must go flaccid." -Colonelkillabee

Been thinking a little on The Last Jedi. I can't help but to wonder how they manage to greenlit so many mistakes. Shouldn't they at least have hired one writer that says what will and will not make sense or work? Like finding a way to justify Ben's departure from the Jedi Temple without assassinating Luke's character. 

Power corrupts, absolute power... is a whole lot of fun!

5 minutes ago, Witchking of Angmar said:

Been thinking a little on The Last Jedi. I can't help but to wonder how they manage to greenlit so many mistakes. Shouldn't they at least have hired one writer that says what will and will not make sense or work? Like finding a way to justify Ben's departure from the Jedi Temple without assassinating Luke's character. 

I heard rumours of the staff really despising Luke (they have apparently a dart board with an image of him at the front). And then there's the typical nonsense about them trying to send a message that men are weak and woman are strong. I can believe the former, but the later seems to be angry projecting.

I really hate why they did to his character though. Luke was the only person who refused to give up on Vader (despite him being a fucking mass murdering space wizard). So your telling me he has a HINT of darkside, he's going to be tempted to fucking murder his nephew in his sleep? Bullshit. This will always be the real Luke.

87b75e88bb9c25914308b2e817c2bcfe712db5e1

I never felt like they assassinated Luke’s character. He had a literal moment of extreme (and justified) fear, didn’t end up acting on it, and felt guilty for the rest of his life over the fact that he considered it.

The movie had its share of flaws, but Luke not being Space Jesus wasn’t one of them, imo. He’s only human.

5 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

I heard rumours of the staff really despising Luke (they have apparently a dart board with an image of him at the front)

Yeah, I call bullshit on those. 

• Like 2

I never felt like they assassinated Luke’s character. He had a literal moment of extreme (and justified) fear, didn’t end up acting on it, and felt guilty for the rest of his life over the fact that he considered it.

The movie had its share of flaws, but Luke not being Space Jesus wasn’t one of them, imo. He’s only human.

Yeah, I call bullshit on those. 

I had my doubts as well after watching but these were my thoughts during. I don’t know why people shit on the new movies so hard personally, aside from Nostalgia.

Just now, The Good Doctor said:

Though that quote by young Luke does remind me how much miss the OT philosophy of Jedi and the Light being a good thing, instead of all this “light/dark balance” natural order stuff. 

I like it, it’s a realistic progression. And fits with the times more, imo.

4 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

Flaws I can understand. However I think the flaws should align with the character. I think too trusting and too passive would be more fitting. Luke having a moment of murderous intent feels like Yornar having the flaw of deciding to be merciful to an elf. 

Just now, ColonelKillaBee said:

I like it, it’s a realistic progression. And fits with the times more, imo.

I don’t much care for changing something to fit the times either. Unless it was obviously bad, that is. Call me an objectivist or whatever, but I preferred the more idealistic version that portrayed good as good and bad as bad, instead of the dualistic approach where evil and good are both equally important and viable. The Sith and Dark side users are awesome villains, but fuck that. There is very little redeemable about them.

2 minutes ago, Witchking of Angmar said:

Flaws I can understand. However I think the flaws should align with the character. I think too trusting and too passive would be more fitting. Luke having a moment of murderous intent feels like Yornar having the flaw of deciding to be merciful to an elf. 

I could see that comparison working better if Yornar had once had his life saved by the purest, most objectively good elf who ever existed, who also changed the world for the better for everyone.

Flipped around, Luke dealt with Sideous and Vader. His sister’s home planet got blown up. He’s aware of how many millions can suffer and die because of one person who has succumbed to the Dark Side. He basically a chance to stop Hitler.

• Like 1

I don’t much care for changing something to fit the times either. Unless it was obviously bad, that is. Call me an objectivist or whatever, but I preferred the more idealistic version that portrayed good as good and bad as bad, instead of the dualistic approach where evil and good are both equally important and viable. The Sith and Dark side users are awesome villains, but fuck that. There is very little redeemable about them.

Eh, I do get that side for sure, and you know, it’s traditional Star Wars.

But for me that very thing, the duality and balance is what makes the new movies so compelling and far less cheese. That’s also what brought in a lot of people that never cared for star wars. I know I know, fuck them if they didn’t like star wars before but I think it’s a smart move on Disney’s part to keep the series alive.

The duality is also what makes Rey and Kylie rens arcs so interesting too and why they have so much potential.

The concept of duality and the need for balance has been in Star Wars forever. Ying and Yang. 

Luke acts like Kreia from Kotor2 to be honest. 

"The brighter the flame...the darker the shadow. Flame casts darkness. Flame needs darkness, and darkness needs flame."-King Vendrik. Without light there is no dark, and vice versa.

I could see that comparison working better if Yornar had once had his life saved by the purest, most objectively good elf who ever existed, who also changed the world for the better for everyone.

Flipped around, Luke dealt with Sideous and Vader. His sister’s home planet got blown up. He’s aware of how many millions can suffer and die because of one person who has succumbed to the Dark Side. He basically a chance to stop Hitler.

Yet he still noped out when it came to strike down Vader. Which worked out. I think a more logical flaw would be Luke thinking Ben will see the light eventually. Or at least killed Snoak instead. Also where the hell did Snoak come from? I feel he if anyone is the one character that has no good reason to suddenly exist. 

3 minutes ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

But for me that very thing, the duality and balance is what makes the new movies so compelling and far less cheese. That’s also what brought in a lot of people that never cared for star wars. I know I know, fuck them if they didn’t like star wars before but I think it’s a smart move on Disney’s part to keep the series alive.

The duality is also what makes Rey and Kylie rens arcs so interesting too and why they have so much potential.

Had potential. The Last Jedi seemed to have set things up for things to be interesting (despite all the bad plot holes), then decided to throw everything out the window at the last moment. It's so inconsistent about what it wants. 

Thing is, Vader did everything. Killed Children. Killed thousands of rebels. Slaughtered his way through the Outer Rims as someone ,whose been described as worst then Satan, right hand hand. He could have stopped Tarkin from firing the Death Star but he didn't. He's indirectly responsible for killing millions...(and personally killing hundreds of thousands)...

and Luke forgave him for everything and refused to abandon him.

So your telling me Luke is tempted to kill a teenager who hasn't done anything, yet he was willing to do so much shit to redeem and forgive his father? No it's bullshit.

1 minute ago, Witchking of Angmar said:

Had potential. The Last Jedi seemed to have set things up for things to be interesting (despite all the bad plot holes), then decided to throw everything out the window at the last moment. It's so inconsistent about what it wants. 

If you say so, I still think it’s there

Kylos change and Rens change and realization that they need both forces, that can’t happen overnight. Hell Ren is still figuring out light. Kylos still accepting he even has light in him.

And hell they might fail royally in balancing anything but they’re a start. And the attempt will be interesting enough for me.

I think it’s to early to call anything, I don’t personally see what ruins the potential so much.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

To each their own. It’s just my opinion. That, and I don’t like the message that I feel it promotes.

I know it’s probably better for attracting fans, so I don’t blame Disney for doing it or anything. But to me, the movies are worse for it.

6 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

The concept of duality and the need for balance has been in Star Wars forever. Ying and Yang. 

Luke acts like Kreia from Kotor2 to be honest. 

"The brighter the flame...the darker the shadow. Flame casts darkness. Flame needs darkness, and darkness needs flame."

-King Vendrik.

That’s not always. That’s 20 years after the original trilogy. The original concept was of darkness being the cause of imbalance, and light being the cure. Hence why the movies portrayed everything as right and fixed when the Sith died off and only Luke and Leia remained, promising a future for Jedi.

Just now, BigBossBalrog said:

Thing is, Vader did everything. Killed Children. Killed thousands of rebels. Slaughtered his way through the Outer Rims as someone ,whose been described as worst then Satan, right hand hand. He could have stopped Tarkin from firing the Death Star but he didn't. He's indirectly responsible for killing millions...(and personally killing hundreds of thousands)...

and Luke forgave him for everything and refused to abandon him.

So your telling me Luke is tempted to kill a teenager who hasn't done anything, yet he was willing to do so much shit to redeem and forgive his father? No it's bullshit.

You don’t think Luke was tempted to kill Vader? Or Palpetine? Because he certainly was.

Luke took time to come to the conclusion that Vader could be saved.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

If you say so, I still think it’s there

Kylos change and Rens change and realization that they need both forces, that can’t happen overnight. Hell Ren is still figuring out light. Kylos still accepting he even has light in him.

And hell they might fail royally in balancing anything but they’re a start. And the attempt will be interesting enough for me.

I think it’s to early to call anything, I don’t personally see what ruins the potential so much.

I feel like this story needs or deserves four movies instead of three. They’ve sill got so much to do with these two characters. 

11 minutes ago, Witchking of Angmar said:

Also where the hell did Snoak come from? I feel he if anyone is the one character that has no good reason to suddenly exist. 

Not gonna lie, Snoke had one of my favorite deaths in Star Wars. I hope we get more on where he came from and what exactly he was, but there’s no way he would’ve been as compelling an antagonist as Kylo, so I love the idea of him being a red herring to set Kylo up in such a big way.