Roleplayer's Off Topic Thread #41

Just now, The Good Doctor said:

I don’t even really have a problem with him in the role, but I do wish he’d been given more material to work with. 

Although I have a feeling if I were to go back and read a description of Shadam, it wouldn’t look anything similar. I had a much more imposing "Tywin-Esq" image of him in my mind while reading the final chapter of the book.

They aren't really talking about the fact that spice prolongs life. He looks too old and frail for the role. But maybe it conveys that he is worried about his legacy since he has no son. But, the Harkonnens, really dude? XD 

Just now, Celan said:

They aren't really talking about the fact that spice prolongs life. He looks too old and frail for the role. But maybe it conveys that he is worried about his legacy since he has no son. But, the Harkonnens, really dude? XD 

Maybe it has prolonged his life, but he’s just really really old. XD 

And yeah, it’s hard to do much worse than the Harkonnens. But I guess that’s what a Bene Gesserit bride will do to a mofo. 

Just saw it; a little bit tired now that I'm out of the theatre. I'll post my impressions later when I have more time to take in such a monster of a movie, but it was really good, great even. Quite a bit better then the first movie, which I really liked too. But honestly my first thought is how it reinforced my opinion Part 1 had one of the biggest abrupt endings I've ever seen, and is one of the most awkwardly cut in two stories  XD But yeah almost entirely positive about it (I think). 

You can tell how much Hideo liked it with the fact he wrote more then two paragraphs about it XD

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BigBossBalrog said:

You can tell how much Hideo liked it with the fact he wrote more then two paragraphs about it XD

I like how even when Hideo doesn’t explain his opinions on a movie, you can tell what they are by omission.

When he sees Dune, you know he loved it because he says so and maxes the character count just to sing its praises.

When he sees The Marvels, you know he hated it because all he says is: "I saw the Marvels." XD 

1 minute ago, The Good Doctor said:

I like how even when Hideo doesn’t explain his opinions on a movie, you can tell what they are by omission.

When he sees Dune, you know he loved it because he says so and maxes the character count just to sing its praises.

When he sees The Marvels, you know he hated it because all he says is: "I saw the Marvels." XD 

He usually talks about the technical stuff and the cinematography...if he likes it. If not, its like what you said XD I think the dude just loves watching films, so he just gobbles up everything available at the time, nice of him to still give the stinkers a shout out.  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

But honestly my first thought is is it reinforces how I thought Part 1 had one of the biggest abrupt endings, and is one of the most awkwardly cut in two stories 

I agree with this. These movies really have to be taken together, as the first doesn’t wrap anything up neatly.

It bothers me less now that the sequel is out. At the time, I worried that Dune 1’s underperformance would lead to the sequel getting canned and that being the ending.

Although in fairness, the first book also basically just ends in the middle of a conversation. Like Frank ran out of ink in his type writer and said "screw it, it ends here!"

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

I think the dude just loves watching films, so he just gobbles up everything available at the time

Very much seems that way. It shows in his games as well. As mixed as I am on his writing, l hope he takes a crack at filmmaking one day. Whatever he makes, it definitely wouldn’t be mundane. 

Just now, The Good Doctor said:

Hideo actually got a cameo in Cyberpunk 2077. He’s in Konpeki Plaza hotel spouting off his philosophies on storytelling to a bunch of attentive listeners. Was an fun Easter egg. XD 

:rofl: That's great. Kind of hilarious, I think I remember reading how alot of celebrities/dev were low-key begging for a cameo, and Hideo popped up in there studio one day for a visit, and they just asked him for one. 

8 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

I agree with this. These movies really have to be taken together, as the first doesn’t really wrap anything up neatly.

It bothers me less now that the sequel is out. At the time, I worried that Dune 1’s underperformance would lead to the sequel getting canned and that being the ending.

Although in fairness, the first book also basically just ends in the middle of a conversation. Like Frank ran out of ink in his type writer and said "screw it, it ends here!"

It'll be fun to watch them both back to back once Part 2 comes out. Maybe they'll let him do some director's cut mega-edit that jams the two togther with extra scenes XD

17 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

Maybe they'll let him do some director's cut mega-edit that jams the two togther with extra scenes XD

Bad news for ya. Denis Velulala has already said he doesn’t like doing director’s cuts. He said if a scene doesn’t make it into theaters, then that scene is "dead" and will never see the light of day. He wants the theatrical release to be the definitive version of his films. 

2 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

Bad news for ya. Denis Velulala has already said he doesn’t like doing director’s cuts. He said if a scene doesn’t make it into theaters, then that scene is "dead" and will never see the light of day. He wants the theatrical release to be the definitive version of his films. 

That's a creative decision that I respect XD A little bit of shame still. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

@BigBossBalrog Explain this. XD 

Master Cheeks infiltrated the Oni Complex on Onyx, and went kind of on a rampage after ONI abandoned everyone on Reach. They had wrangled one of his squad-mates into leading the new Spartan program, and was pissed. And he basically did a "I'm going to beat you with a persuasion check" when they sicked said former squadmate on him in full armor, while being wailed on by her. 

XD 

• Haha 1

Just now, BigBossBalrog said:

Reveal hidden contents

Master Cheeks infiltrated the Oni Complex on Onyx, and went kind of on a rampage after ONI abandoned everyone on Reach. They had wrangled one of his squad-mates into leading the new Spartan program, and was pissed. And basically did a "I'm going to beat you with a persuasion check" when they sicked said former squadmate on him in full armor, while being wailed on by her. 

XD 

Ah yeah. Forgot that part in the games. XD Thanks!

4 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

Oh and the way they put those clips together is "great" :rofl:

If Todd Howard sneezes, PatricianTV will make a 9 hour Elder Scrolls documentary backed by half a year of research.

But when Microsoft makes a full Halo TV series, he just shit posts with really good edits. XD 

13 hours ago, BigBossBalrog said:

I'll post my impressions later when I have more time to take in such a monster of a movie,

So how about now? XD 

I’m itching to hear what more people think of it. The Harkonnen section in particular, because it’s just so far removed from what you’ll find in basically any other movie.

2 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

This big Indie studio I follow is making a CRPG in homage, and the style of the old Fallout games. Actually looks pretty authentic,  XD

I dig it. Definitely nailed the atmosphere with the sounds and visuals. 

My thoughts on part 2; 

I overall thought it was fantastic. It pretty much concluded everything anti-climatically held back from part 1! I think the best aspect was everything going on on Dune, with Paul's guerilla war, showing off the Fremen cultural stuff, and Jessica's sidequest to become a religious despot. In my opinion she had the coolest arc, becoming the insanely creepy witch, while the remnant of her old personality was still desperately doing all of it to protect her family. A the little glimpses of Alia were also well done (Though I was kind of reminded of Death Stranding with all the funky fetus shenanigans)  Paul himself was great (crazy performance after Willy Wonka XD), though I think he needed a little bit of time to grow into the Muad'Dib. They kind of cheat with the Waters of Life, he's still relucent into he takes that plunge. I get it, but I would have liked just a little more natural progression 

Everything from a production design was awesome. The battles were pure spectacle, and everyone got their "weird" sci-fi time to shine. They turned the Harkonians into the Cenobites from Hellraiser and I love it XD (The costumed Gladiator jesters were freaky). As for characters introduced in the movie, I loved Feyd-Rautha and Princess Irulan. In the book, the former was kind of just "evil Paul" but I think the movie gave him much more of a distinctive personality. I found his that savage, yet noble warrior-honor to be particularly compelling, yet they made it clear he was still a product of his House's culture, so still really fucked up (At least he took care of his concubines :rofl:). The Princess was kind of just there, in the original book, yet they made her alot more proactive and cunning, like I felt she was a player in the game. 

Which leads to my main complaint, I thought her Papa was a letdown in comparison. He didn't do much of anything but mop around, while his daughter interpreted all the intelligence coming from Arkanas on her own. He didn't seem like the Emperor of Mankind, just Christopher Waken on a bad acting night XD Furthermore, I think them adding that bit about the Reverend Mother being behind the destruction of House Atriedes to be mistake. It really undermines the Harkonnens and House Cornio, now that they were both pawns of the Bene Gesserit, when it was supposed to be this complex scheme by the Emperor and the Baron. 

Speaking of, I agree the Harkonnens from the LAST movie were pretty dissapointing. Baron Vladimir pretty much does nothing but flail his arms around, and Rabban was the biggest space Jobber since OT Boba Fett :rofl: Should have been more proactively stopping Paul, but the former just has oil baths, and Rabben just gives those ridiculous faces XD Thankfully Feyd-Rautha picked up the slack. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

My thoughts on part 2; 

Reveal hidden contents

I overall thought it was fantastic. It pretty much concluded everything anti-climatically held back from part 1! I think the best aspect was everything going on on Dune, with Paul's guerilla war, showing off the Fremen cultural stuff, and Jessica's sidequest to become a religious despot. In my opinion she had the coolest arc, becoming the insanely creepy witch, while the remnant of her old personality was still desperately doing all of it to protect her family. A the little glimpses of Alia were also well done (Though I was kind of reminded of Death Stranding with all the funky fetus shenanigans)  Paul himself was great (crazy performance after Willy Wonka XD), though I think he needed a little bit of time to grow into the Muad'Dib. They kind of cheat with the Waters of Life, he's still relucent into he takes that plunge. I get it, but I would have liked just a little more natural progression 

Everything from a production design was awesome. The battles were pure spectacle, and everyone got their "weird" sci-fi time to shine. They turned the Harkonians into the Cenobites from Hellraiser and I love it XD (The costumed Gladiator jesters were freaky). As for characters introduced in the movie, I loved Feyd-Rautha and Princess Irulan. In the book, the former was kind of just "evil Paul" but I think the movie gave him much more of a distinctive personality. I found his that savage, yet noble warrior-honor to be particularly compelling, yet they made it clear he was still a product of his House's culture, so still really fucked up (At least he took care of his concubines :rofl:). The Princess was kind of just there, in the original book, yet they made her alot more proactive and cunning, like I felt she was a player in the game. 

Which leads to my main complaint, I thought her Papa was a letdown in comparison. He didn't do much of anything but mop around, while his daughter interpreted all the intelligence coming from Arkanas on her own. He didn't seem like the Emperor of Mankind, just Christopher Waken on a bad acting night XD Furthermore, I think them adding that bit about the Reverend Mother being behind the destruction of House Atriedes to be mistake. It really undermines the Harkonnens and House Cornio, now that they were both pawns of the Bene Gesserit, when it was supposed to be this complex scheme by the Emperor and the Baron. 

Speaking of, I agree the Harkonnens from the LAST movie were pretty dissapointing. Baron Vladimir pretty much does nothing but flail his arms around, and Rabban was the biggest space Jobber since OT Boba Fett :rofl: Should have been more proactively stopping Paul, but the former just has oil baths, and Rabben just gives those ridiculous faces XD Thankfully Feyd-Rautha picked up the slack. 

Glad to see everyone liking this movie so much. It’s on track to far surpass the first movie in box office revenue. Though in fairness, that one was handicapped by lockdowns and early streaming on HBO.

My only disagreement with your summary is I feel like Paul’s development was very natural. You could see his resistance to the prophesy getting slowly eroded for most of the movie. His guerrilla war isn’t solving things, his mother is whispering in his ear, Gurney returns and tells him to take over, and finally he dreams of Chani’s death. By the time he drinks the Blue Gatorade, he’s finally resigned himself to his fate.

Jessica's sidequest to become a religious despot. In my opinion she had the coolest arc, becoming the insanely creepy witch, while the remnant of her old personality was still desperately doing all of it to protect her family.

I love the part where she arrives in the South and starts preaching the imminent arrival of the "Lisan al Gaib" to the masses. It felt Biblical, like a creepy witch version of John the Baptist or the Magi, appearing from the deep desert to foretell the coming of their savior.

Which leads to my main complaint, I thought her Papa was a letdown in comparison. He didn't do much of anything but mop around, while his daughter interpreted all the intelligence coming from Arkanas on her own.

Yeah, he really didn’t do much of anything. His daughter and the Bene Gesserit benefitted from this as they got to be much more active in the plot, but it very much came at Emperor Walken’s expense.

But I guess that was the goal as Denis has said that he wanted the BG to be the biggest players in his movies. It’s the same reason he reduced the roles of Mentats and why Thufir Hawat was sadly cut from Part 2.

Still, the BG are one of the best done parts of these movies, so fair play, I guess. 

Should have been more proactively stopping Paul, but the former just has oil baths,

The worst line in the movie (possibly the only one I even took issue with) was when Feyd-Rautha bombed the crap out of Sietch Tabr and Baron Vladimir was like "Old school artillery… genius".

Like, come on dude. The genius chess master never thought up the "brilliant" strategy of… bombing his enemies? :rofl: It reminded me of late-season Vikings when Ivar the Boneless was suddenly treated like the smartest guy around because he used scouts before one battle. XD 

Literally just cut that line out and the movie is better. I’d have just assumed Feyd was better at actually finding the Fremen than Rabban, not that dropping bombs is considered a genius play by Harkonnens.

• Like 1

Another praise for the movie, just in terms of detail and respect for the viewer’s intelligence. I love how many little background technologies or figures are visible on-screen that have no stated explanation or attention drawn to them at all, yet context clues make it possible to determine what they’re for.

Like the Baron now has a big floating device following him around that wasn’t in the first movie. Nobody ever exposits what it’s for, but its sounds line up with his breathing Darth Vader style, implying it’s some kind of mechanical life support that he now uses after Leto hit him with the poison gas.

Or the weird black "minotaur" things (I don’t know what else to call them) in the arena, which get no explanation but alongside the "pet" spider person in the first movie, paint us a picture that the Harkonnens engage in lots of creepy body horror experiments just for their own entertainment. Which in turn might help explain why loyal Doctor Yueh was broken by the idea of his wife being in their hands. Being their prisoner is far worse than death.

And of course there’s lots of this stuff with the Fremen. Few of their devices get explained verbally, but it’s easy to piece together what’s going on just by the quick cuts of them being used.

There is even a moment where a Harkonnen soldier barks at the others not to turn on their shields. He never says it is to avoid attracting worms, but we should know from the first movie that this is something shields do, so the reason is left unsaid.

• Like 1