Soulsborne Thread #6 (And other FROMSOFT titles)

Coventants  

6 members have voted

1. 1. To whom do you pledge allegiance?

• Rosaria
    • The Mound
    • The Sun
    • Old Wolf of Farron
    • The Darkmoon
    • Aldrich

4 minutes ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

Meh. There’s having lovecraftian lore, and then there’s being lovecraftian lore.

There’s Fallout 4, and Birdbox. True Detective.

And then there’s Bloodborne. A King in Yellow. Deadspace. 

Amen brother. Though I would argue the main antagonist itself of Demon Souls is very Lovecraftian. So I wouldn't compare it to Fallout 4, and True Detective, which dabble in it in very unsatisfying ways. It's just not the main focus. 

I was going to say though, why bother with an area in Soulsborne when you have an entire game dedicated to it XD Demon Souls is probably the weirdest in terms of aesthetics, it's Dark Fantasy, but it emphasis the fantasy aspects more then the other games, if that makes sense.  It's very unique, but yeah I think it's weird. 

demons_soul_conceptart_HQ0Wr.jpg

f860c69d1a8e9845254729dd085165d7.jpg

36cfd5a7a190b7c0f2f596e7200177e4.jpg

• Like 1

Gotta back to the Soulsborne groove, did a character in Dark Souls, a hybrid Faith/Strength build...and it's super fucking fun. Might do one for each game name, lighting spearing bosses is so satisfying XD I think it's utterly broken in the first game though. I'll never look as cool as this guy though...

nameless.gif?w=590

I wish BB had more casting options. But considering the Lovecraftian context (in which Magic is super rare, and only wielded by a select amount of people) it makes sense.  

26 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

Fortunately, those we do get are pretty insane. 

Visually and damage wise, yeah.  I just wish there was more utility and variety.  Arcane in BB is mostly just crazy cosmic damage spells. Not complaining, cause there all super cool, but I just wish there was more effects, the four...schools in Dark Souls has way more variety (Shit like turning yourself into steel, covering yourself in sweat, summoning humanity sprites to devour things, breathing crystal breath) 

But like I said, it fits the setting, and it would be hard to balance a full on magic system when the game is so fast paced combat wise. 

1 hour ago, The Good Doctor said:

I think we’re really stretching the definition of Souls-like now. That’s a side scroller.

It has bonfires, Estus Flasks, boss bars, item descriptions, fog walls, and a parry system that act exactly like Dark Souls

I guess you could argue it's a Metroidvania, with Dark Souls elements, kinda like Hollow Knight. 

1 minute ago, The Good Doctor said:

Dark Souls didn’t invent any of that. Especially boss bars. XD Are they literally called bonfires, estus flasks, etc?  

No but they function the same way (And when I mean boss bars I mean the Dark Souls styled ones)  The recharging set Health Potions, the check point that you rest at to recharge it but it respawns regular enemies, the boss fog walls, losing all your currency at death and having to find a bloodstain, those are from Dark Souls though XD