Roleplayer's Off Topic Thread #36

On 10/10/2022 at 1:27 PM, The Good Doctor said:

Poor soul.

Apparently standing behind any named character would have sufficed. XD 

How about "this man needs elvish medicine" followed by "okay let's stick him upright on a horse and gallop for hundreds of miles"?

I read an interview in Variety with the showrunners and they're already saying "yeah but the second season will be better." They know it's a dumpster fire.

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, TheCzarsHussar said:

I forgot just how good of an episode The Storm is. Easily one of the highest points of season 1.

Highest point for me is the season finale. But The Storm is definitely a good one.

Speaking of, has anyone here (besides Colonel) watched Haunting of Hill House? It is a really good 1 season horror show on Netflix.

This reminded me because there is an episode called "Two Storms" that is one of the single best episodes of TV that I have ever watched.

The whole entire episode is filmed as if it is one long continuous tracking shot that takes place in two locations across two separate timelines, following two versions (old and young) of six different characters. It is very trippy and cool, and constantly rewards you for paying attention. 

Seeing the spirit world in Avatar again makes me hate Korra's depiction all the more.

It was a very creepy and otherworldly place with an, art style and color pallet is the opposite of the show's physical world (Ironically, Korra's is even more colorful). Instead of a goofy forest with goofy Ghibli rejects, it's this sinister realm of enlightened entities and hidden spirits. Some of them fucking horrifying like Koh.

That Iroh traveled to the spirit world and survived is a testament to both his wisdom and power.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

These always trigger a strong sense of childhood nostalgia in me. Couldn’t say how many times I watched that movie as a kid. :lol: 

It's pretty decent. It keeps to the spirit of the book (cheesy, but oh so enjoyable) way better then the trilogy did.

Something that I never understood watching Avatar as a kid, was just how close to adulthood Sokka was. Fifteen is still a kid in our culture, but both in universe and with the parallels cultures that influenced the Water Tribes, fifteen or sixteen was well considered an adult.

It was always strange to me back then that a teenager was accepted as war leader and a full fledged warrior.

• Like 1

For as terrifying as Wan-Shi Tong is (and the stupid as hell reveal he murdered the anthropologist dude like right after the Gaang escaped, in LEgend of Whorra), I forgot his original intention with the library was to be a place of unparalleled learning in the physical world. For the benefit of man. Sure for his own desire of knowledge, but he and his foxes built it for a benevolent intention.

• Like 1