Roleplayer's Off Topic Thread #34

Snow Whales  

6 members have voted

1. 1. Where are they?

• Hibernating under snow/in glaciers
    • REALLY high up
    • The Waters of Oblivion
    • In my futile hopes and dreams

As much as I love the 2008 series, having grown up with it, I really wish it wasn't that ugly ass 3D XD

In a perfect world it'd be that Genndy Tartakovsky animation, it could get away with having the jedi doing the craziest shit and not feel uncanny. Imagine seeing Samuel L Jackson doing a quintuple backflip twirl twist jumping over like a thousand droids in 3D

Just now, TheCzarsHussar said:

As much as I love the 2008 series, having grown up with it, I really wish it wasn't that ugly ass 3D XD

In a perfect world it'd be that Genndy Tartakovsky animation, it could get away with having the jedi doing the craziest shit and not feel uncanny. Imagine seeing Samuel L Jackson doing a quintuple backflip twirl twist jumping over like a thousand droids in 3D

I don’t love 2008 TCW and have no trouble saying I hate the animation style. XD It got better by the end, but it’s still ugly as sin.

If I could trade what we have for several seasons of the 2003 version, both the style and the writing, I’d take it. It complimented the movies really well, whereas imo the 3D shows in the long run ultimately contributed towards dragging down Mando and Boba Fett.

1 minute ago, The Good Doctor said:

I don’t love 2008 TCW and have no trouble saying I hate the animation style. XD It got better by the end, but it’s still ugly as sin.

If I could trade what we have for several seasons of the 2003 version, both the style and the writing, I’d take it. It complimented the movies really well, whereas imo the 3D shows in the long run ultimately contributed towards dragging down Mando and Boba Fett.

The best of 2008 series was some of the best in star wars period, but it took a long time to get there. Oh and it loses huge points for making Ventress not look creepy anymore and Grievous was a literal joke that couldn't even kill children learning to become Jedi.

One thing I finally noticed in the 2003 series is once Grievous' chest is crushed by Mace, his voice actor changes to Matt.

11 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

Except Mando wouldn't exist at all without Dave Filoni, so I find this opinion, to be frank, stupid XD

1 minute ago, BigBossBalrog said:

Shits all over anything 2003 added (which were just action scenes, albeit really cool ones)

How could you, betray the House of Tartakovsky.

2003 set out for one thing, display the galaxy wide war and all it's brutality. None of the sand hating politics or (amazingly written) humanizing of the clones.

How could you, betray the House of Tartakovsky.

2003 set out for one thing, display the galaxy wide war and all it's brutality. None of the sand hating politics or (amazingly written) humanizing of the clones.

Tartakovsky was responsible for the Hotel Transylvania franchise which is garbage XD

And Clone Wars 2008 got far darker then anything in the 2003 series if were going to go that route. 

6 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

I think the addition of my favorite Star Wars character 

star-wars-clone-wars.gif

Shits all over anything 2003 added (which were just action scenes, albeit really cool ones)

As a kid, Cad Bane, Dooku and Obi-Wan were my favorites XD

I didn't give much a rat's ass about Ashoka until way later down the line.

Just now, BigBossBalrog said:

Tartakovsky was responsible for the Hotel Transylvania franchise which is garbage XD

Don't know what that is, and I don't wanna know :P

But if it's recent, then I'm sadly not surprised. After all he did (in my opinion) fuck up with Samurai Jack's new season's storytelling half way through.

And Clone Wars 2008 got far darker then anything in the 2003 series if were going to go that route.

Remember the pilot of 2008 Clone Wars? Had a much more serious tone and even threw in some curse words, felt much more in tune with it's later seasons.

14 minutes ago, TheCzarsHussar said:

The best of 2008 series was some of the best in star wars period

Ehhh… I guess by default. But the best of Star Wars is so far ahead of anything to come out since that it’s hard for me to compare them. Nothing Lucas or Disney has released in the 21st century even touches OT Vader and Luke.

11 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

Except Mando wouldn't exist at all without Dave Filoni, 

Think I give a shit? XD 

Dave making Mando isn’t mutually exclusive to Dave making Mando worse by cramming in Clone Wars stuff.

I couldn’t care less who made what. Only if it’s good.

2 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

Ehhh… I guess by default. But the best of Star Wars is so far ahead of anything to come out since that it’s hard for me to compare them. Nothing Lucas or Disney has released in the 21st century even touches OT Vader and Luke

No really, the best of what came out of 2008 is some top tier shit. Better than anything in the sequels or fucking rebels. Though that's an incredibly low bar XD

Just now, The Good Doctor said:

Ehhh… I guess by default. But the best of Star Wars is so far ahead of anything to come out since that it’s hard for me to compare them.

Think I give a shit? XD 

Dave making Mando isn’t mutually exclusive to Dave making Mando worse by cramming in Clone Wars stuff.

I couldn’t care less who made what. Only if it’s good.

And this is where I disagree; Star Wars started as just a bit more then a Sci Fi Remake of a Samurai movie. It's hardly a masterpiece in writing or whatever. I prefer Clone Wars over the OT. 

And I think all the call backs to the Clone Wars are all tastefully done, and make it part of the universe. Mandalorian is in the same universe  as Clone Wars, is made by the creator of Clone Wars, and I have zero problem with the creator continuing  threads and characters he made for his last major Star Wars project. Agree to disagree. And I think you have a bias against things originating from that show XD

Though that's an incredibly low bar XD

Exactly my point. XD 

I’ve seen the best of 2008 TCW. Darth Maul, the Clone trooper arcs people love, Mandalore, and the final season. It’s not all bad, and definitely better than the Sequels, but it’s not on par with the classics by any stretch.

3 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

And this is where I disagree; Star Wars started as just a bit more then a Sci Fi Remake of a Samurai movie. It's hardly a masterpiece in writing or whatever. I prefer Clone Wars over the OT.

It's funny when a huge chunk of fans consider the second movie from the 80's the best star wars media ever, granted I think Empire Strikes Back is also the best of the three OG movies.

From what I know, George changed a lot of Return of the Jedi's script for the favor of marketing toys. Han was going to die, Luke was going to be much more of a badass etc. etc.

It's funny when a huge chunk of fans consider the second movie from the 80's the best star wars media ever, granted I think Empire Strikes Back is also the best of the three OG movies.

From what I know, George changed a lot of Return of the Jedi's script for the favor of marketing toys. Han was going to die, Luke was going to be much more of a badass etc. etc.

New Hope is a  Remake of a (better) movie, and Return of the Jedi is super controversial (But I think Vader's arc redeems it 100 percent), so yes, Empire is my favorite too XD 

And I think you have a bias against things originating from that show XD

Not a bias, more just I don’t like how this Galaxy of many trillions feels like it’s been shrunken down to a few dozen characters and three planets.

For Mando to have anything to do with any of the prequel/OT/TCW characters at all is insanely unlikely, but I can accept it if done really well and makes sense for his plot (like seeking out Mandalorians and finding that redhead chick). But fact that he can’t go two episodes without bumping into one is annoying.

And it’s not just TCW stuff, I didn’t like him meeting Boba Fett either, if you recall.

I also don’t like Baby Yoda, a Mando original. XD Or Luke (anymore).

New Hope is a  Remake of a (better) movie, and Return of the Jedi is super controversial (But I think Vader's arc redeems it 100 percent), so yes, Empire is my favorite too XD 

As cool as the Jedi and Sith are, some of my favorite moments in star wars are of the little guys. The attack on Hoth is so memorable for me because it's one of the only moments in all of the star wars movies or shows that doesn't have two sides charging each other in an open field battle.

The Empire attacks a heavily entrenched position with superior firepower and literal stormtroopers (the kind that assaulted trenches in WW1). I love grounded stuff with advanced tech XD

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

Not a bias, more just I don’t like how this Galaxy of many trillions feels like it’s been shrunken down to a few dozen characters and three planets.

For Mando to have anything to do with any of the prequel/OT/TCW characters at all is insanely unlikely, but I can accept it if done really well and makes sense for his plot (like seeking out Mandalorians and finding that redhead chick). But fact that he can’t go two episodes without bumping into one is annoying.

And it’s not just TCW stuff, I didn’t like him meeting Boba Fett either, if you recall.

I also don’t like Baby Yoda, a Mando original. XD Or Luke (anymore).

ugnq6d63cv861.jpg

• Haha 1

A New Hope is a nice, uncomplex hero’s journey that was carried at the time by the incredible amount of technical effort that went into creating its world. But it’s not a remake of anything. The story is as old as stories.

Empire is a legitimately great movie that modern movies could honestly still learn a lot from. It did a lot of things really well and basically set the bar for Star Wars.

Return of the Jedi is half ass, half masterpiece. The Luke/Vader stuff is the best thing in Star Wars.