Roleplayer’s Off Topic Thread #20

Vault 31  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Which experiment would you choose?

• Fill up the population with as many confirmed psychopaths that have yet been convicted of murder.
    • Fill up the population with pacifists but also fill the vault with as much weapons and ammo as possible.
    • Have hidden speakers constantly play tapes backwards that tell the dwellers to do horrible things to each other.
    • Fill up the population with prude people and make the vault suits disintegrate over time.
    • Fill the vault with a ridiculous amount of alcohol and the equipment to make more.

41 minutes ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

Epic Games isn't owned by Microsoft.

Microsoft doesn't get it for an entire year after Epic Games, Steam too.

If I controlled every aspect of a video game, I wouldn't give the initial release to a competitor unless it greatly benefited me, and this doesn't benefit Microsoft really.

Also, it isn't the same. EA has its hands in Bioware's games at conception. That isn't the case with Outer Worlds.

How do you know they didn't get a wad of cash from PS and Epic?

I never said Epic was owned by them.

41 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

No it’s not, because EA also took over as publishers and were blatantly hands-on with everything BioWare did from the moment they bought them. Whereas Obsidian has outright stated that this is not the case with Microsoft and Outer Worlds. Everything to do with this game was likely set in stone months before they got bought.

Again, why would Microsoft buy Obsidian with the express intent on making them a console-seller, only to sell their first game on Playstation as well? They have never sold games on PS. Why start with this one if they’re the ones with the control?

I'm aware of the difference between publisher and owner. 

You honestly think they put up the money for Obsidian but have no say in what they do with their games? That's now how this works.

3 minutes ago, Celan said:

I'm aware of the difference between publisher and owner. 

You honestly think they put up the money for Obsidian but have no say in what they do with their games? That's now how this works.

*Sigh* That's because the contract Obsidian made with Take Two precedes Microsoft's purchase of the Obsidian, their already obligated to make the game for them, which is what they are doing. 

1 minute ago, Celan said:

Besides, the game is also on the MS Store so they're participating in the exclusivity deal, also. They're helping to cut out the largest PC platform, and GOG which is very popular with RPG gamers.

No they’re not, it’s only coming to them, and steam, a year later. It’s the same as how you guys had to wait a month for Skyrim dlc. Epic games is the benefactor of the exclusive deal not Microsoft who gets it the same time as steam

nothing exclusive about it

"Even the hardest dick must go flaccid." -Colonelkillabee

9 minutes ago, Celan said:

Because Microsoft explicitly bought Obsidian in order to become more competitive against PS in the exclusive market. Sony is their chief competitor, and unlike Epic, they sell consoles, so letting them in on MS games would badly hurt MS’s competitive edge in the console market. 

6 minutes ago, Celan said:

I never said Epic was owned by them.

I’m not sure what you’re saying.

Microsoft owns Obsidian yes but if that was your point, it doesnt matter because they aren’t the publisher for Outer Worlds. And they got in on this well after the games conception and they made it clear they aren’t impeding on obsidians deals already in the making. Obsidian themselves have stated this multiple times.

Out of Obsidians’ mouth, it’s Private Division That gets the big payday. All Microsoft gets is a percentage of sales on their store, a year after Epic Games...

That is their “wad” of cash right there and that’s all they get. Microsoft ain’t a saint but luckily not everyone is as stupid greedy as EA

6 minutes ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

No they’re not, it’s only coming to them, and steam, a year later. It’s the same as how you guys had to wait a month for Skyrim dlc. Epic games is the benefactor of the exclusive deal not Microsoft who gets it the same time as steam

nothing exclusive about it

Also there’s nothing saying GoG won’t also get it a year later too but I could honestly care less, I rarely shop there anyway and don’t support them just because of their tie to CDPR. 

6 minutes ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

I’m not sure what you’re saying.

Microsoft owns Obsidian yes but if that was your point, it doesnt matter because they aren’t the publisher for Outer Worlds. And they got in on this well after the games conception and they made it clear they aren’t impeding on obsidians deals already in the making. Obsidian themselves have stated this multiple times.

Out of Obsidians’ mouth, it’s Private Division That gets the big payday. All Microsoft gets is a percentage of sales on their store, a year after Epic Games...

That is their “wad” of cash right there and that’s all they get. Microsoft ain’t a saint but luckily not everyone is as stupid greedy as EA

When they bought them is irrelevant. The game was initially advertised as launching on Steam, this only happened recently. According to reddit, they were updating achievements on Steam up to hours before the announcement.

I just find it ridiculous to think that the developers' owner wouldn't have a say in how the games are sold. Daddy Warbucks gets final say.

8 minutes ago, Celan said:

When they bought them is irrelevant. The game was initially advertised as launching on Steam, this only happened recently. According to reddit, they were updating achievements on Steam up to hours before the announcement.

I just find it ridiculous to think that the developers' owner wouldn't have a say in how the games are sold. Daddy Warbucks gets final say.

When they were bought is not irrelevant however because it’s the reason why Microsoft was left out of the deal between Obsidian and Private Division as par the agreement of their selling themselves to Microsoft.

Surely you’re aware that they’re able to negotiate their arrangement before agreeing to be bought and legally Microsoft has to honor it if agreed upon by both parties. 

Even if they do technically have some influence, there’s literally no reason why Microsoft would want them to release exclusively with epic games for a year.

Youre barking up the wrong tree here lol. Epic Games is a big multiplayer company, target them.

Did you read what I wrote? According to reddit, right up until a few hours before the announcement, they were updating Steam achievements. This wasn't something pre-existent that MS would have no say on.

If anything, the fact that they're releasing on PS4 probably IS a pre-existing agreement. 

BTW, I only just now saw that they bought inXile, as well. This is fucking depressing.

Did you read what I wrote? According to reddit, right up until a few hours before the announcement, they were updating Steam achievements. This wasn't something pre-existent that MS would have no say on.

If anything, the fact that they're releasing on PS4 probably IS a pre-existing agreement. 

BTW, I only just now saw that they bought inXile, as well. This is fucking depressing.

Microsoft has NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO say on the publishing rights of Outer Worlds, that's up to it's publisher. Obsidan is basically on loan to them till they finish their game. 

inXile and Obsidan were dying until Microsoft bought them, and all accounts are telling them to do whatever they want, they aren't on a leash or anything. 

@Celan

I did, but I have no idea where you’re going with it or how that cancels out what I said about Obsidians relationship with Private Division, their publisher, or the agreement they made with Microsoft and their preexisting projects. Or why in the hell Microsoft would willingly give up exclusive rights to their competitors for a year when they’re so desperately trying to gain a foothold in that market.

Your position just doesn’t make any sense

11 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

Microsoft has NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO say on the publishing rights of Outer Worlds, that's up to it's publisher. Obsidan is basically on loan to them till they finish their game. 

I'm sorry, this is just stupid. There's no point discussing it anymore.

7 minutes ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

As for InXile, all they’ve done that’s even remotely noteworthy is Wasteland right? Meh.

Like I said for Obsidian, they can really only benefit at this point. 

They're an old-time deep RPG creator. Brian Fargo was part of creating Fallout- that's what Wasteland is.

They can go to hell at this point, as far as I'm concerned.

5 minutes ago, Celan said:

I'm sorry, this is just stupid. There's no point discussing it anymore.

They're an old-time deep RPG creator. Brian Fargo was part of creating Fallout- that's what Wasteland is.

I know, that’s why I said all they’ve really done that’s noteworthy is Wasteland.

I just don’t get what you’re upset about lol they haven’t done anything yet XD it’s not stupid, Obsidian confirmed exactly what Balrog said.

For what, exactly? I was happy with Wasteland and with the stuff Obsidian was doing too, but regardless of how good their games were, the companies were struggling to stay afloat. Microsoft stopped them from sinking entirely and Obsidian (not sure about InXile) has not completed a game since then. We don’t know if getting bought will have any effect on the quality of their creations or not, but if the alternative was going out of business, then I’m not sure why you would hate Microsoft for this particular move. Unless you’d have preferred it if they just died off like TellTale.

That's fine, honestly I wasn't that excited for the game anyway. So it went from "might buy" to "won't buy." Not a great loss.

Oh, and I support GOG not only because they're CDPR (the two companies are basically the same) but because they promote consumer-oriented practices in gaming, and they're basically the only ones who do.

1 minute ago, The Good Doctor said:

For what, exactly? I was happy with Wasteland and with the stuff Obsidian was doing too, but regardless of how good their games were, the companies were struggling to stay afloat. Microsoft stopped them from sinking entirely and Obsidian (not sure about InXile) has not completed a game since then. We don’t know if getting bought will have any effect on the quality of their creations or not, but if the alternative was going out of business, then I’m not sure why you would hate Microsoft for this particular move. Unless you’d have preferred it if they just died off like TellTale.

Because of the Epic/ MS exclusivity on PC.

6 minutes ago, Celan said:

Because of the Epic/ MS exclusivity on PC.

... it’s not epic/Microsoft exclusivity. Microsoft gets it literally the same time as Steam does.

And no one said GoG is being left out. No one ever mentions GoG really, they’re not as big in comparison. Their inclusion or exclusion is usually unmentioned.

Now I’m off to bed lol, night. Dunno how many times I can say Microsoft isn’t in on any “exclusive” deal here and if they are, they got the shortest end of the stick possible lol

edit: also steams alright by me as far as consumer relations and fair practices go. I support CDPR and by extension GoG I guess but I’m not gonna be surprised or up in arms if they are indeed left out, they’re not near as big as steam anyway.

Its not that serious.

Just now, ColonelKillaBee said:

... it’s not epic/Microsoft exclusivity. Microsoft gets it literally the same time as Steam does.

And no one said GoG is being left out. No one ever mentions GoG really, they’re not as big in comparison. Their inclusion or exclusion is usually unmentioned.

Now I’m off to bed lol, night. Dunno how many times I can say Microsoft isn’t in on any “exclusive” deal here and if they are, they got the shortest end of the stick possible lol

The game is only releasing on Windows Store and Epic for the first year. The first year.

At this point, we don't even know if the Windows Store purchase isn't just an Epic key.

I would have no problem if they just added Epic as an alternate storefront. Hell, use the extra 18% that Epic supposedly gives them over Steam to lower the game price by say- 10%- and I bet a lot of people would do it willingly. Win and win.

But to force exclusivity, no.

This is the kind of suck-ass anti-consumer shit that Epic has pulled before. At least this time it didn't involve a Kickstarter game where people had already bought in based on the idea of getting the game on Steam or GOG.

1 minute ago, The Good Doctor said:

Well if Obsidian can’t convince you this isn’t the case, then I probably won’t either. But what’s it got to do with inXile? Far as I know, their games are on steam, and Wasteland 3 is going to be as well.

They were bought out by Microsoft this year, as well. I hadn't heard that before now.