Roleplayer’s Off Topic Thread #20

Vault 31  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Which experiment would you choose?

• Fill up the population with as many confirmed psychopaths that have yet been convicted of murder.
    • Fill up the population with pacifists but also fill the vault with as much weapons and ammo as possible.
    • Have hidden speakers constantly play tapes backwards that tell the dwellers to do horrible things to each other.
    • Fill up the population with prude people and make the vault suits disintegrate over time.
    • Fill the vault with a ridiculous amount of alcohol and the equipment to make more.

1 minute ago, BigBossBalrog said:

Microsoft has nothing to do with this, this game was in development before MS bought them. (it's not published by them) Master Chief Collection is coming onto steam. 

The corporation that owns them doesn't have any say in how they distribute their games?  Mmkay.

1 minute ago, Celan said:

The corporation that owns them doesn't have any say in how they distribute their games?  Mmkay.

Actually, in the case of this game, no. Obsidian has made it clear that Microsoft has no connection to it. If they did, you could bet your ass it wouldn’t be releasing on PS4. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

If Microsoft had any say in this, they wouldn't allow it on the PS4

Viknd

Honestly... you think they have NO say in what a newly purchased company does with their IPs?

New owners, new policies, no connection? Okay, whatever.

1 minute ago, Celan said:

Honestly... you think they have NO say in what a newly purchased company does with their IPs?

New owners, new policies, no connection? Okay, whatever.

Microsoft doesn't own the IP. They purchased Obsidian but not the IP rights for the Outer Worlds.

The reverse would be like how Fromsoft made Demon Souls and Bloodborne but they don't own the rights or the IP for it, Sony does. 

Just now, BigBossBalrog said:

Microsoft doesn't own the IP. They purchased Obsidian but not the IP rights for the Outer Worlds.

The reverse would be like how Fromsoft made Demon Souls and Bloodborne but they don't own the rights or the IP for it, Sony does. 

They own the company. That means they own the IP.

Obsidian clarifying on their Twitter that it will be available on Windows Store, too. As if that means anything.

3 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

This. This game is between Obsidian and the publisher Take-Two. Their contract predates Microsoft purchasing Obsidian. The only thing MS gets out of this is good publicity for their newest developer of it performs well.

2 minutes ago, Celan said:

IP= Intellectual property

It's an intangible asset. They own the IP.

I’m aware of what IP means. But owning it doesn’t change the fact that 2k, via Take-Two already have the publishing rights, not Microsoft. They and Obsidian are still fulfilling their ends of a contract that was signed long before the latter got bought out. Obsidian have outright said that Microsoft has nothing to do with this project, and seeing as how they’re the ones in the know, I’m inclined to believe them.

If the game suddenly gets pulled from PlayStation, or if I see a big Microsoft logo on the cover, I’ll eat crow. Until then, there is absolutely nothing that indicates that we have been lied to.

I don't get why Microsoft is your target anyway, Epic Games as Balrog pointed out is also a big multiplayer game publisher, so if you want to blame multiplayer game publishers, Epic Games is the way to go, not Microsoft.

Microsoft has actually been on the ball lately. Right now I don't see them doing something this stupid, if they put Halo on steam, I know they'd put this on steam too if it were up to them, or hell their own game store.

"Even the hardest dick must go flaccid." -Colonelkillabee

Hell there letting one of their most popular exclusives, Cuphead, be on the Switch which they announced today. (The same person who leaked Halo MCC for steam also said Nintendo and Microsoft have reached a big deal of some kind) They've proven themselves when it comes allowing there games to go up on different platforms, so I can't see why you think they had anything to do with this. 

2 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

Hell there letting one of their most popular exclusives, Cuphead, be on the Switch which they announced today. (The same person who leaked Halo MCC for steam also said Nintendo and Microsoft have reached a big deal of some kind) They've proven themselves when it comes allowing there games to go up on different platforms, so I can't see why you think they had anything to do with this. 

That's not in question tho lol, epic games isn't microsoft :P 

I only mentioned Steam because it was a smart move. This isn't at all lol, putting a single player rpg on a platform known mainly for Fortnite...

And one that isn't as popular for single player games as Steam is. If they put their biggest game series ever on steam, I don't see them pushing for this to be on another platform entirely that benefits them not at all. If they were even the ones that controlled all that in the first place, which they aren't.

24 minutes ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

I don't get why Microsoft is your target anyway, Epic Games as Balrog pointed out is also a big multiplayer game publisher, so if you want to blame multiplayer game publishers, Epic Games is the way to go, not Microsoft.

Microsoft has actually been on the ball lately. Right now I don't see them doing something this stupid, if they put Halo on steam, I know they'd put this on steam too if it were up to them, or hell their own game store.

Because they own them.

It's like saying it's not EA's fault for fucked up policies at Bioware.

It is at their game store.

10 minutes ago, Celan said:

Because they own them.

It is at their game store.

Epic Games isn't owned by Microsoft.

Microsoft doesn't get it for an entire year after Epic Games, Steam too.

If I controlled every aspect of a video game, I wouldn't give the initial release to a competitor unless it greatly benefited me, and this doesn't benefit Microsoft really.

Also, it isn't the same. EA has its hands in Bioware's games at conception. That isn't the case with Outer Worlds.

9 minutes ago, Celan said:

No it’s not, because EA also took over as publishers and were blatantly hands-on with everything BioWare did from the moment they bought them. Whereas Obsidian has outright stated that this is not the case with Microsoft and Outer Worlds. Everything to do with this game was likely set in stone months before they got bought.

Again, why would Microsoft buy Obsidian with the express intent on making them a console-seller, only to sell their first game on Playstation as well? They have never sold games on PS. Why start with this one if they’re the ones with the control?

@Celan

https://www.polygon.com/2018/12/7/18130594/the-outer-worlds-obsidian-microsoft

Private Division is who you're thinking of. Microsoft has no part of this at all really. They didn't take over Private Division's spot just because they bought Obsidian. It was something in the making before that deal.

3 minutes ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

@Celan

https://www.polygon.com/2018/12/7/18130594/the-outer-worlds-obsidian-microsoft

Private Division is who you're thinking of. Microsoft has no part of this at all really. They didn't take over Private Division's spot just because they bought Obsidian. It was something in the making before that deal.

The timeline in this article confuses me. Wasn’t Deadfire released well before Outer Worlds was even announced?

4 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

The timeline in this article confuses me. Wasn’t Deadfire released well before Outer Worlds was even announced?

Yea, it's saying they're working to port it, not that they're working to develop the game. 

I actually didn't know till now that deadfire was even coming to consoles. Or already on consoles, whichever.

But yea, notice that they aren't cancelling that just because Microsoft now owns Obsidian. If they could or even wanted to, I'm sure they would. 

5 minutes ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

But yea, notice that they aren't cancelling that just because Microsoft now owns Obsidian. If they could or even wanted to, I'm sure they would. 

Honestly, even without seeing any profits Microsoft probably benefits a lot more from the game doing well. For one, it’s a passion project for two of Obsidian’s top dogs, and canceling it would no doubt piss them off.

And also, if it does well, it will basically serve as free advertisement (on their end) for their newest developer. If Obsidian hits a homerun, it’ll make selling their future titles even easier.