Jump to content

Shattered Steel OOC #1


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I wanted to publicly thank @Witchking of Angmar for these awesome drawings of Lawrence and Alan! You've done a great job capturing both their styles and the Vault Boy style all in one

Hey, I have restrained myself from making any Yuri characters and infecting the RP with it's scourge, I expect some appreciation! 

Hey guys making my CS, this is what I got so far

Posted Images

1 hour ago, TheCzarsHussar said:

Sully Sun-Burnt Brahminshit! I completely forgot about our post with him :rofl:

I wasn’t gonna pressure you since there’s basically never a time when I don’t have 5+ posts going on. XD 

It's always nice when your writing gets reinforced by the canon after you come up with it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 months later...
8 minutes ago, Witchking of Angmar said:

Well that was an interesting opening. Where's the rest of the story?

It’s coming. I decided to break it up into smaller parts instead of doing one super long one. Easier to get people to read them that way. XD 

It's always nice when your writing gets reinforced by the canon after you come up with it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Witchking of Angmar said:

True that. Long posts can be quite the hassle to read at time.

I felt that with my last TES Origins post. I’m proud of that one, but nobody’s read it yet and I can’t really blame them. The thing is a beast. I should’ve split it in two or something. 

It's always nice when your writing gets reinforced by the canon after you come up with it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

Any thoughts on the post itself?

I liked the subtle conflict between various factions in the Enclave.

The way the scene started with new characters was a little confusing but it was easy enough to follow which two characters mattered the most. It also made me curious and why I wanted to read more. Though I am a little worried the story might introduce too many new characters. The main rp has many to keep track of as is.

I get the feeling this is the beginning of where the BoS assimilates the Enclave.

Also there's a weird quotation error when he says "We in here are soldiers."

  • Thanks 1

Power corrupts, absolute power... is a whole lot of fun!

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Witchking of Angmar said:

 

  Hide contents

 

I liked the subtle conflict between various factions in the Enclave.

The way the scene started with new characters was a little confusing but it was easy enough to follow which two characters mattered the most. It also made me curious and why I wanted to read more. Though I am a little worried the story might introduce too many new characters. The main rp has many to keep track of as is.

I get the feeling this is the beginning of where the BoS assimilates the Enclave.

Also there's a weird quotation error when he says "We in

here are soldiers."

Fixed. Thank you.

 

Yeah, I didn't want to overload an origin arc with too many new characters, so I tried to keep the less significant officers' roles to a minimum. It would probably be a little easier to keep track of for someone who has played Fallout 3, as Augustus Autumn is an established character (he's not in the game, but his son is the game's final antagonist), so the only important new character is Thomas. 

24 minutes ago, Witchking of Angmar said:

I get the feeling this is the beginning of where the BoS assimilates the Enclave.

Good guess. This little arc is going to double as Gregory's origin as well as an explanation for how certain things in the Brotherhood get the way they are in the main story. Gregory is just a kid at this point, so I felt like sticking to the trend of my last post (the one with his parents' deaths) and using a different POV would be a better way to tell the story. He's definitely around, though.

It's always nice when your writing gets reinforced by the canon after you come up with it.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I could see the different groups getting confusing, though.

 

The U.S. Chemical Corps hold Army officer ranks, but they're all scientists and chemical engineers. Military matters are left to be handled by officers who are actually trained for such things (like Thomas) and consider these guys "eggheads officers". They weaponized the FEV virus, synthesize vaccines, and stuff like that. You might've also noticed that they're very cautious about radiation from the way August snapped at the idea of eating local fish. He would sooner have people go hungry than allow mutations to enter their "pure human" gene pool. 

The rest of the officers are just standard Army officers, and Thomas is the highest ranking of them (though Autumn is the highest ranking person in the entire group). They are a little more grounded and have taken up a lot of the day-to-day leadership of the camp as a whole.

The civilian population are mostly non-military but still valuable in some ways or others. Doctors, engineers, teachers, historians of the Old World, geologists, etc. Everyone had specialized roles back in Navarro and the Oil Rig.

The inclusion of Senator Kennedy was a bit of a joke on my part. Because it only seemed too natural that the notorious Kennedy family would've been part of the Enclave. XD He's not really important.

  • Like 1

It's always nice when your writing gets reinforced by the canon after you come up with it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...

@TheCzarsHussar We’ve got the thread. May as well use it. XD 

I wanted the techno templar thing to be almost nonexistent in the RP aside from the knightly ranks, which were in the older games and are frankly too iconic to toss aside. Otherwise, that vibe didn’t feel suitable for a splinter faction that broke off in a time much closer to Fallout 1.

The idea is for them to feel more like a nationless, directionless military that has occupied a land for a really long time and tried to keep order with limited knowledge of civilian governance. They control lots of territory and have the manpower to put down threats, but they never really molded the various peoples living in this land into a cohesive nation or country. The Midwestern wasteland is too diverse and the Brotherhood never gave them something unifying to come together as (in that way, they’re more like the Legion than the NCR, but they lack Caesar’s tangible goals).

So the only real unifier is the Brotherhood itself. You can either be one of the gaggle of peoples living under them, or you can join their ranks with all of the ideals, purpose, and power that brings. But this sort of recruitment has led to a lot of tribal and wastelander elements getting blended into the BoS’s core. Their technology and advanced training is spread way more thin than the core faction in California or D.C., so not every member is going to be this hulking armored Knight with a laser gun, and many have little more understanding of advanced technologies than you’re average wastelander. At the same time, there is a much broader understanding of primitive survivalist techniques and low-resource management. There is also more religion and superstition in their ranks (things that are mostly absent in the original faction), which spreads and changes as people from many different tribes get brought together.

It's always nice when your writing gets reinforced by the canon after you come up with it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

@TheCzarsHussar We’ve got the thread. May as well use it. XD 

I wanted the techno templar thing to be almost nonexistent in the RP aside from the knightly ranks, which were in the older games and are frankly too iconic to toss aside. Otherwise, that vibe didn’t feel suitable for a splinter faction that broke off in a time much closer to Fallout 1.

The idea is for them to feel more like a nationless, directionless military that has occupied a land for a really long time and tried to keep order with limited knowledge of civilian governance. They control lots of territory and have the manpower to put down threats, but they never really molded the various peoples living in this land into a cohesive nation or country. The Midwestern wasteland is too diverse and the Brotherhood never gave them something unifying to come together as (in that way, they’re more like the Legion than the NCR, but they lack Caesar’s tangible goals).

So the only real unifier is the Brotherhood itself. You can either be one of the gaggle of peoples living under them, or you can join their ranks with all of the ideals, purpose, and power that brings. But this sort of recruitment has led to a lot of tribal and wastelander elements getting blended into the BoS’s core. Their technology and advanced training is spread way more thin than the core faction in California or D.C., so not every member is going to be this hulking armored Knight with a laser gun, and many have little more understanding of advanced technologies than you’re average wastelander. At the same time, there is a much broader understanding of primitive survivalist techniques and low-resource management. There is also more religion and superstition in their ranks (things that are mostly absent in the original faction), which spreads and changes as people from many different tribes get brought together.

Aye I intend to use it more than this comment, I'd like to try and get up to date again. I have no idea where I last left off other than the last post I liked, and I enjoyed and liked (I think I did?) every post I read so it should be concurrent. Sadly that's only just past half way through page 2.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

The forum has had so little activity last year it's kinda scary. I'm getting worried the community is dying inch by inch, BT has left that's created a massive gap with High Rock that nobody could ever fill, and we've been on the cusp of chapter 4 for years now.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TheCzarsHussar said:

Aye I intend to use it more than this comment, I'd like to try and get up to date again. I have no idea where I last left off other than the last post I liked, and I enjoyed and liked (I think I did?) every post I read so it should be concurrent. Sadly that's only just past half way through page 2.

Well it still shouldn’t be hard as nothing new has been written in the main RP in a long time. I’ve written an origins post fairly recently and plan to do a bunch more (already outlined most of them and started writing on two), but lately I’ve not been in much of a writing groove. 

It's always nice when your writing gets reinforced by the canon after you come up with it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, The Good Doctor said:

Well it still shouldn’t be hard as nothing new has been written in the main RP in a long time. I’ve written an origins post fairly recently and plan to do a bunch more, but lately I’ve not been in much of a writing groove. 

It doesn't help that all my characters are tied up in unfinished RP posts, that are entirely my fault for not finishing them XD

Worse still everytime I get back into the groove of reading the Fallout Rp, it makes me think of new characters I want to make. But I sure as hell wont do anyone new until I catch up, thats for sure.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, TheCzarsHussar said:

The forum has had so little activity last year it's kinda scary. I'm getting worried the community is dying inch by inch, BT has left that's created a massive gap with High Rock that nobody could ever fill, and we've been on the cusp of chapter 4 for years now.

Sadly, we can’t do anything about people losing interest. A project this old with such a small group is bound to face that. 

Part of my own demotivation is the knowledge that only one or two people are likely to care about whatever I write. 

It's always nice when your writing gets reinforced by the canon after you come up with it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Witchking of Angmar said:

We need more cute children getting people to think better thoughts in general in stories.

I sense sarcasm. XD 

It's always nice when your writing gets reinforced by the canon after you come up with it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Witchking of Angmar said:

Only partially this time. XD

It’s definitely a trope. But I wanted to have Thomas change his mind and introduce Amelia in the same post while keeping it short. I figured it worked well enough.

It's always nice when your writing gets reinforced by the canon after you come up with it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

It’s definitely a trope. But I wanted to have Thomas change his mind and introduce Amelia in the same post while keeping it short. I figured it worked well enough.

It may be a trope, but I feel it's one we could use some more of in these fucking times.

Had forgotten about who Amelia was and had to look it up. I'm curious why a focus on her since she died. I get the feeling she's either not really dead, or there was foul play around her death.

  • Like 1

Power corrupts, absolute power... is a whole lot of fun!

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Witchking of Angmar said:

It may be a trope, but I feel it's one we could use some more of in these fucking times.

Had forgotten about who Amelia was and had to look it up. I'm curious why a focus on her since she died. I get the feeling she's either not really dead, or there was foul play around her death.

Well you ain’t wrong there. It can be refreshing to include a bit of innocence and positivity here and there. Can't have everything be bleak.

I really didn’t expect anyone to remember who Amelia was. Let alone go digging in an old backstory passage and figure it out. XD In fact, I halfway hoped that wouldn’t happen, just so it could be a surprise later on.

It's always nice when your writing gets reinforced by the canon after you come up with it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, The Good Doctor said:

I really didn’t expect anyone to remember who Amelia was. Let alone go digging in an old backstory passage and figure it out. XD In fact, I halfway hoped that wouldn’t happen, just so it could be a surprise later on.

I sort of remembered her when I read it. Just something in my mind that went "Didn't she marry Gregory?" At first I thought she was just a small cameo. It wasn't till after you pointed out that you wanted to introduce her that I started to attribute a larger importance to her appearance.

Power corrupts, absolute power... is a whole lot of fun!

Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Witchking of Angmar said:

I sort of remembered her when I read it. Just something in my mind that went "Didn't she marry Gregory?" At first I thought she was just a small cameo. It wasn't till after you pointed out that you wanted to introduce her that I started to attribute a larger importance to her appearance.

By introduce I mostly just meant that I wanted to establish that Thomas is a father. I didn’t necessarily mean to suggest she’s a major character or anything.

Course, the whole thing is ultimately meant to flesh out some Enclave/BoS history while telling Gregory’s story alongside it, so she’s bound to be at least somewhat important if only because she ends up marrying the posts’ main character. I don’t want to spoil anything beyond that.

It's always nice when your writing gets reinforced by the canon after you come up with it.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...