Soulsborne (And Sekiro and shiet) Thread #3

It's funny like that in Christianity. All these facets people consider part of it, while it's by non-canon sources.  We take alot from stuff like the Divine Comedy for example (Nine Circles of Hell, Satan being a spoiled brat/loser, the very specific ways the damn are tortured, the concept of virtuous pagans etc etc) 

And that's also why I don't much care for the modern idea of "demons" being violent ghosts of humans. I have no idea where that idea even came from but its certainly not biblical.

In fact, if you are christian, the idea of ghosts at all shouldn't even be a thing as far as human spirits go since according to revelations no one goes to heaven until the day of rapture, and no one leaves the ground at all until that day.

So if hypothetically ghosts were "real", it's either an angelic spirit appearing to you for comfort in the case of seeing loved ones, or a demonic one.

In all cases where I had such dreams/visions in the night, that's how I perceived them too.

But anyway, that's a hypothetical as far as your beliefs go.

If you ask me, it's because protestant religion so strongly rejects the idea of saints and representative spirits for the blessings of god, but the followers themselves still so desperately want spiritual guides and representatives in recognizable forms that the idea of ghosts was simply natural. Cant explain why catholics believe in ghosts though. 

In fact with revelations' descriptions, the whole representatives in heaven thing never made sense to me.

"Even the hardest dick must go flaccid." -Colonelkillabee

1 minute ago, BigBossBalrog said:

It's funny like that in Christianity. All these facets people consider part of it, while it's by non-canon sources.  We take alot from stuff like the Divine Comedy for example (Nine Circles of Hell, Satan being a spoiled brat/loser, the very specific ways the damn are tortured, the concept of virtuous pagans etc etc) 

Catholics do, anyway. For protestant Christians, hell is hot, and that's all you need to know about it. Just a bottomless pit of fiery damnation. 

Just now, BigBossBalrog said:

We take alot from stuff like the Divine Comedy for example (Nine Circles of Hell, Satan being a spoiled brat/loser, the very specific ways the damn are tortured, the concept of virtuous pagans etc etc) 

The Divine Comedy creates a cultural “look” for a lot of things, but nobody believes or pretends that it’s anything more than fiction. The Book of Enoch is a much bigger deal in that regard. I wouldn’t consider them the same animal.

5 minutes ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

And that's also why I don't much care for the modern idea of "demons" being violent ghosts of humans. I have no idea where that idea even came from but its certainly not biblical.

In fact, if you are christian, the idea of ghosts at all shouldn't even be a thing as far as human spirits go since according to revelations no one goes to heaven until the day of rapture, and no one leaves the ground at all until that day.

So if hypothetically ghosts were "real", it's either an angelic spirit appearing to you for comfort in the case of seeing loved ones, or a demonic one.

In all cases where I had such dreams/visions in the night, that's how I perceived them too.

But anyway, that's a hypothetical as far as your beliefs go.

If you ask me, it's because protestant religion so strongly rejects the idea of saints and representative spirits for the blessings of god, but the followers themselves still so desperately want spiritual guides and representatives in recognizable forms that the idea of ghosts was simply natural. Cant explain why catholics believe in ghosts though. 

In fact with revelations' descriptions, the whole representatives in heaven thing never made sense to me.

Revelations I almost always interrupt as being allegory. Because it's like the author was fucking high when they wrote it XD Remeber, scripture is still written by man.  And when they gathered the canon, the Church made sure to include books that were politically convenient at the time. You can believe what you want to believe. 

I believe in ghosts XD Or at the least, facets of negative energy that remain after someone dies (Perhaps like a memory?) 

2 minutes ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

have no idea where that idea even came from but its certainly not biblical.

Didn’t we actually have a good talk about this a while back? I feel like I remember it.

But yeah, the western idea of ghosts ain’t biblical. It’s got some deep cultural roots in America especially, which I find interesting considering our protestant roots.

1 minute ago, The Good Doctor said:

Didn’t we actually have a good talk about this a while back? I feel like I remember it.

But yeah, the western idea of ghosts ain’t biblical. It’s got some deep cultural roots in America especially, which I find interesting considering our protestant roots.

We did talk about this in a pm actually, and both had the same thoughts. It was just more relevant for me now because I somewhat recently rewatched the Conjuring or some other horror movie where they attributed demonic presences to violent spirits that died tragically in real life.

Lame.

Remeber, scripture is still written by man. 

And if you are believer, those men were divinely inspired. 

And when they gathered the catholic canon, the Church made sure to include books that were politically convenient at the time.

There is a lot of stuff in the Bible That has never been politically convenient for the Catholic Church.

As an American, I absolutely think that anyone can “believe what you want”, but as a Christian I think that’s a bad way to approach doctrine. 

Just now, The Good Doctor said:

And if you are believer, those men were divinely inspired. 

There is a lot of stuff in the Bible That has never been politically convenient for the Catholic Church.

As an American, I absolutely think that anyone can “believe what you want”, but as a Christian I think that’s a bad way to approach doctrine. 

Well as i've stated multiple times before, i'm a bad Christian XD But I try, so maybe that matters a little in the long run. 

That's a reason I dislike the Catholic Church (even if I identify as Roman Catholic) so many rules...and you aren't allowed to question anything. 

14 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

Revelations I almost always interrupt as being allegory. Because it's like the author was fucking high when they wrote it XD Remeber, scripture is still written by man.  And when they gathered the catholic canon, the Church made sure to include books that were politically convenient at the time. You can believe what you want to believe. 

I believe in ghosts XD Or at the least, facets of negative energy that remain after someone dies (Perhaps like a memory?) 

It is certainly symbolic but it doesn't mean that none of it was meant to be taken seriously. Example, stuff like Jesus and his flaming sword coming from his mouth, that's clearly symbolic of the power of the word of God.

Things like people being killed in droves by beasts and insects, lol that's pretty dang clear. XD Even if you don't think word for word this is whats gonna happen, the point is, lots of people die, and violently.

To the point of ghosts not existing, according to revelations, I believe that's pretty clear cut as well.

There's nothing scientific about any of it so it's not like I can argue about negative energy and energy as far as we know not being able to be destroyed, only transferred, but I do believe that as far as the bible is concerned, ghosts of human beings are not real. The only ghost then is the holy spirit, or angels and demons.

As far as other cultures and religions are concerned tho, its obviously not the case. You seem to be pretty heavily influenced by japanese culture for instance and they most certainly believe in a very personal communion with the dead. 

They even had a sort of Grudge reference in American Horror Story about this very thing XD Japanese ghosts are fucking scary.

3 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

Well as i've stated multiple times before, i'm a bad Christian XD But I try, so maybe that matters a little in the long run. 

Indeed, I do have my doubts and I do believe some of whats written in the bible is either political for the times or symbolic and not at all literal.

But that said, I still prefer to talk within the bounds of the religion itself that I claim to be a part of, simply because there's no way to account for everyone's personal beliefs and variations when there are so many.

Plus, when relating to specific things like Bloodborne, it makes it easier to track down and debate inspiration of things when I stay focused on the source material rather than my own bias and influences.

For instance, I don't believe in ghosts in the confines of Christianity but I do like the idea of human echoes manifesting through remnants of the energy that sustained our being when alive.

7 minutes ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

As far as other cultures and religions are concerned tho, its obviously not the case. You seem to be pretty heavily influenced by japanese culture for instance and they most certainly believe in a very personal communion with the dead. 

They even had a sort of Grudge reference in American Horror Story about this very thing XD Japanese ghosts are fucking scary.

My dad wanted to raise me as agnostic (but my mother disagreed) so I got exposure on his side to alot of different cultures, the reason I know so much about Japanese, Norse, and Greek Mythology is cause my dad bought me so many books on them XD Love that shit. 

Even if you don't believe in them, I think different cultures spiritual beliefs are still very fascinating to learn about (And of course there good for the scares XD) And I'll never disrespect something that some many people genuinely believed in, and feared so much. I try not to be a dick about other people's spiritual beliefs XD

Lol you're literally the kids from the Haunting of Hillhouse XD 

But yea I obviously find them fascinating too. But like I said, you gotta keep focused on the beliefs of the religion you're talking about unless you're talking about spirits in general as humans have perceived them.

I have my own interpretations of the bible and I think me n doc have debated over these differences before. But I know the difference between a personal belief and what our religion actually teaches.

Its like this debate I had with a (very stupid) woman on Ark who kept swearing up and down she was christian but didn't believe in the holy trinity. Which, you know, is fine nowadays except when you try saying that is a normal thing for christains...

That isn't at all normal, and in fact, that's a very modern idea, that Jesus is the son of God, but NOT God. Jews believe he is neither the son of God or God, Christains believe he's both God and the son of God, and it's the Jehovah's Witnesses that believe he's the son of God, but not God.

And while Jehovah's Witnesses are Christian, they're a new sect of Christians derived in the 1950's I believe.

Whats funny is I didn't even know that at the time, and I just guessed that they had to be pretty modern while this chick swore up and down they'd been around since Jesus was around. The name Jehovah is old, yes, but not the sect built around it. I googled it, showed it to her and she acted like I just told her her parents weren't really her parents XD 

Yeah his face looks off.  Might because the previews are implying he's undead.

One little I love is how old he looks. Just look his hair is half white, and his face is just filled with his age. He's way out of his prime. Pretty cool were playing as an elder, but still skilled and experienced Shinobi.

4q315wi8k8a21.jpg?width=960&crop=smart&a

Fantastic video, put to words things I already realized, and a lot that I didn't, like the bloody angel wings on the cover, the white wolf Vicar chick, and the amygdala.

I'm not so sure about the one point about farming blood vials but the rest is a great listen.

• Like 1

3WeZat1.jpg

"Oh, you are a sick puppy! You drink the blood of half the town, and now this! And you talk of beasts? You hunters are the real killers! Have you got a screw loose? Or is it your... animal intuition You hunters have got more blood on your hands. Die! Die, die! Hunters are killers, nothing less! You call ME a beast? A Beast!? What would you know? I didn't ask for this!"

• Like 1