Soulsborne (And Sekiro and shiet) Thread #3

47 minutes ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

Obviously not, considering the ending but you can seal a deal with a kiss as easily as you can with a bite or what have you.

“Deal” implies a transaction. It’s here to feed on us against our will. I guess you see this as kissing to seal a deal, but to me, it looks a hell of a lot more like a creature luring someone in with a sort of hypnosis, then at 30 seconds, once we’re safely in its cliches, abandoning the act and plunging in to feed. Which makes a lot more sense to me considering it sent us out to gather echos for it and is clearly a predator.

47 minutes ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

Thats why everyone refers to it as an “embrace” rather than a grip, grapple, entanglement, etc.

Embrace was your word, and I used it because I was quoting you. The game doesn’t call it that. The only word the game uses to describe the situation is the trophy that says the MP “captivated” us. The Hunter “embraces” it because they’re hypnotized. That doesn’t mean it’s mutual.

Frankly, I think that any loving, “motherly”, or affectionate vibes you might get from that scene are not genuine, and are exactly the ones that contributed to luring in the Hunter. They get abandoned as soon as we free ourselves from the MP’s spell and its mannerisms take a complete 180. You can see this as it getting angry and putting down a bad dog, but to me the sudden shift from weirdly beautiful and friendly to extremely hostile and predatory looked a lot more like its trick failed and now it is resorting to outright attack.

13 minutes ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

Flora is as such, believed by Romans to be a Goddess of love because of her elements of sex and life, things blossoming. So it’s possible that’s what they were going for, albeit obviously in a very dark and twisted manner. Rapey even.

None of these themes really accompany the MP, though. It is the only Great One we encounter that makes no apparent effort to produce a child. It sends us out to collect the blood echos of a different Great One, and isn’t done with us until we slay the Nightmare child of another.

I’ve seen the Japanese translations. I think that the “Flora” personality of the MP, that the carvings represent, that Gehrman likely encountered as we did, is how it presents itself to humans. IE, the majestic and hypnotic form it takes on for the encounter. At least until our godly insight allows us to break through the spell and make the MP reveal itself for what it truly is.

25 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

“Deal” implies a transaction. It’s here to feed on us against our will. I guess you see this as kissing to seal a deal, but to me, it looks a hell of a lot more like a creature luring someone in with a sort of hypnosis, then at 30 seconds, once we’re safely in its cliches, abandoning the act and plunging in to feed. Which makes a lot more sense to me considering it sent us out to gather echos for it and is clearly a predator.

Embrace was your word, and I used it because I was quoting you. The game doesn’t call it that. The only word the game uses to describe the situation is the trophy that says the MP “captivated” us. The Hunter “embraces” it because they’re hypnotized. That doesn’t mean it’s mutual.

Frankly, I think that any loving, “motherly”, or affectionate vibes you might get from that scene are not genuine, and are exactly the ones that contributed to luring in the Hunter. 

That’s very possible, not arguing against it, which is why I agreed when you said it was like a lure. I just think there’s more than one possibility to all of this even if it’s not as likely.

But yea I see it more like putting down a bad dog. As for not seeing these elements in game, we would if we assume she’s been cultivating lost spirits of infants, human or even possibly dead great one infants stillborn.

As for embrace, I pulled that from reddit and the wiki, that’s just how most people have been referencing it.

Maybe Flora’s jealous because it can’t have surrogates so instead it “adopts”/enslaves and kills other great one children through you.

"Even the hardest dick must go flaccid." -Colonelkillabee

And to the video, yea it really does look like she’s holding something dear to her and brings you in close in acceptance. That’s honestly why I thought it so creepy. Like an adoring fan lol. In fact it reminds me of the jealous nun.

If she can’t have you, she kills you. I now wonder if that was foreshadowing of this.

1 minute ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

Maybe Flora’s jealous because it can’t have surrogates so instead it “adopts”/enslaves and kills other great one children through you.

We aren’t the first Hunter the Moon Presence has used, though. Just the first to kill a Great One for it (at least in human memory). Djura and Eileen also got trapped in the Dream, but were released at some point after their respective nights were finished and they had hunted enough to satisfy it.

Y’all said yourselves that this was because of Gehrman.

Of course I don’t know that Gehrman could let them go against the will of the Moon but I also don’t know why the moon would care if you wanted to return to the waking world or not.

Either way I don’t think it matters, as you said, we waded through so many beasts and several great one/kin for it. (The moon balls comment).

Our killing of Gehrman before being chosen reminds me of Herma Mora, albeit a very different situation though ultimately the same shitty predicament. 

Maybe the thing thought we wanted to be it’s champion, lol, who knows.

1 minute ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

And to the video, yea it really does look like she’s holding something dear to her and brings you in close in acceptance.

I agree it looks nice at first, but I can’t see how the part where it lunges looks even remotely adoring. The Moon Presence only appears caring or adoring while it is literally hypnotizing us. The moment all that fails, the  pretty “Flora” act is dropped.

Believe what you want, of course. It’s certainly up to interpretation. But to me personally, the idea of a jealous, loving, adoring, etc Moon Presence is way too human and understandable for me to be a fan of the theory. It’s no longer fearing the unknown, and instead becomes fearing an alien version of the crazy woman from Misery. It’s creepy and weird, but I can still relate to it more than I feel like I should be able to. That’s just my opinion, anyway. It’s not a bad theory by any stretch.

As for the rest, I mean desiring children is pretty understandable too, so like I said they’ve already gone pretty far from typical Cosmic horror.

Aside from that, the thing does look reminiscent of Nyar, and although I don’t think they’re at all the same, Nyar was the most “human” of the Cthulhu mythos.

This thing was different enough to people that it sparked debate as to whether or not it was even a great one. I think that’s intentional.

1 minute ago, The Good Doctor said:

Right at 30 seconds, it pretty blatantly stares at you for a second and then lunges forward.

Yea that to me looks like a weepy eyed mother bringing in her child emotionally, not a predator lunging at its prey.

2 minutes ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

This thing was different enough to people that it sparked debate as to whether or not it was even a great one. I think that’s intentional.

I don’t get the people who make this point. Oedon is formless, Ebrietas is a giant winged mushroomy thing, Kos is a squid thing with a humanish face, and the Orphan looks like a person. None of them look the same and most of them behave very differently from one another. There’s no reason why the MP would be any different.

4 minutes ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

Lol in fact they’re so relatable weirdly that Balrog even sympathizes with them XD hell we even hear a baby crying and can comfort it with music. This game is not typical cosmic horror.

Balrog speaks and writes in Old One with perfect spelling and grammar. The reason behind his sympathies has been in question for years. 

I don’t get the people who make this point. Oedon is formless, Ebrietas is a giant winged mushroomy thing, Kos is a squid thing with a humanish face, and the Orphan looks like a person. None of them look the same and most of them behave very differently from one another. There’s no reason why the MP would be any different.

They’re talking specifically about MP’s behavior. I don’t agree either but as Balrog said, it working through humans is really strange, and it’s embrace, to some, looks so emotional that they thought maybe this thing was a lesser great one or closely related but not a true great one.

I don’t agree but this debate happening at all is telling.

2 minutes ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

Yea that to me looks like a weepy eyed mother bringing in her child emotionally, not a predator lunging at its prey.

Except contextually, much more points to this scenario resembling the latter more than the former. We know that it trapped and used us to gather blood echos and kill it a Great One. We know that it is hypnotizing us in that scene, which obviously entails giving off the appearance of being inviting. And we know that the moment we resist, it drops any semblance of care or “motherliness” and pounces like a predator who doesn’t want to lose its prey.

5 minutes ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

Btw isn’t Ebrietas Kin?

It’s debated, for sure. But I don’t think so. She is the source of the Old Blood, and is referred to as a left behind Great One (whatever that means). Kin aren’t even close to Great Ones, and usually seem to be humans that were altered but did not ascend. She isn’t that, so I am in the camp that thinks Kin is a misclassification.

Except contextually, much more points to this scenario resembling the latter more than the former. We know that it trapped and used us to gather blood echos and kill it a Great One. We know that it is hypnotizing us in that scene, which obviously entails giving off the appearance of being inviting. And we know that the moment we resist, it drops any semblance of care or “motherliness” and pounces like a predator who doesn’t want to lose its prey.

After it realizes it can’t control us, yes it lunges. It even looks hurt like it feels betrayed to me in my eyes. Like it got rejected.Up until that point for me it really doesn’t act very threatening. It’s body language and everything completely shifts after the point of rejection, even keeping its head low and looking up to us even when we’re already in its grasp.

We’ll just have to agree to disagree on this one.