Roleplayer’s Off Topic Thread #14

Declare your House.  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Stark or Lannister?

• Lannister
    • Stark

3 minutes ago, Witchking of Angmar said:

Starks however seem to do a lot stupid shit and die for it. At least the Lannisters has a bigger tendency to use their heads. 

I’d argue that the Lannisters do even stupider shit. They just don’t always have to pay for it like the Starks do because they are some lucky bastards.

Also, where’s my Baratheon option? XD 

It's always nice when your writing gets reinforced by the canon after you come up with it.

Though I guess if we’re talking show-only, I don’t much care for the Starks anymore either. I used to really like them a lot, but then all the good ones who didn’t get killed mistook the idiot ball for a child and adopted it as one of their own. Still, at least bone of them are evil.

It's always nice when your writing gets reinforced by the canon after you come up with it.

Just now, The Good Doctor said:

Though I guess if we’re talking show-only, I don’t much care for the Starks anymore either. I used to really like them a lot, but then all the good ones who didn’t get killed mistook the idiot ball for a child and adopted it as one of their own. 

Almost vikingd me.

Was gonna say all my favorite starks are dead so fuck em lol.

"Even the hardest dick must go flaccid." -Colonelkillabee

2 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

I’d argue that the Lannisters do even stupider shit. They just don’t always have to pay for it like the Starks do because they are some lucky bastards.

I'd chalk most of the Lannister problems on Cersei. Tywin and Tyrion are two of the smartest and most capable rulers in Westeros. Jaime is a bit unremarkable by not being stupid but not noticeably clever either. The kids are also "technically" Baratheon.

Power corrupts, absolute power... is a whole lot of fun!

15 minutes ago, Witchking of Angmar said:

I'd chalk most of the Lannister problems on Cersei. Tywin and Tyrion are two of the smartest and most capable rulers in Westeros. Jaime is a bit unremarkable by not being stupid but not noticeably clever either. The kids are also "technically" Baratheon.

Tywin is super overrated. He was effective because he had money and people feared his reputation, but he sucked as a commander and there are multiple instances in the first few seasons where he would’ve been fucked if not for things happening that were completely outside his control.

Like, his raids on the Riverlands. If Robert hadn’t died -which Tywin had no knowledge or control over- Tywin would’ve had the entire realm coming down on him hard.

And he’d have lost the war if the stars hadn’t aligned against Stannis at the Blackwater. For that to end in the Lannisters’ favor, Robb Stark has to communicate his orders to Edmure poorly. Edmure had to act against Robb’s poorly-worded wishes. Tyrion had to discover Cersie’s wildfire and rally the troops to mount a successful counter-offense outside the walls, which nobody thought possible. Stannis has to assassinate Renly with shadow magic. And Littlefinger had to convince the Tyrells to change sides.

Tywin had control over none of that, but if any one of those things hadn’t happened, the most decisive battle of the war would’ve gone the other way. The Northmen would’ve gained hope instead of losing it, and Roose Bolton and Walter Frey probably wouldn’t have contacted Tywin to orestrate the Red Wedding, since he no longer would’ve been the obvious winning side. 

Not to mention Robb was kicking his ass in every major battle. 

1 minute ago, BigBossBalrog said:

Jaime's my favourite character right now. He's flawed as fuck, but he's always been flawed as fuck. 

Yeah, I like Jaime. Apart from the sister fucking, cousin-slaying, and attempted child murder, he’s a pretty swell guy. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, The Good Doctor said:

Yeah, I like Jaime. Apart from the sister fucking, cousin-slaying, and attempted child murder, he’s a pretty swell guy. 

Nobody's perfect XD I like characters torn on a crossroads. It took TV Jaime alot longer then book Jaime, but i'm glad to see he's finally removed his sisters toxic influence on his life

8 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

Nobody's perfect XD I like characters torn on a crossroads. It took TV Jaime alot longer then book Jaime, but i'm glad to see he's finally removed his sisters toxic influence on his life

I’ll always be disappointed that we won’t get to see it happen the way it did in the books though. Last time I talked about the series with BT, it was actually about that chapter. It’s one of the best ones imo. 

38 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

I’ll always be disappointed that we won’t get to see it happen the way it did in the books though. Last time I talked about the series with BT, it was actually about that chapter. It’s one of the best ones imo. 

How did it go down in the books?

I actually have somewhat high hopes for the final season. All I want is a big budget Medieval Fantasy Zombie Apocalypse fest filled with giant battles and fan service XD The final ten minutes of the last season we're perfect in my opinion. (Especially Jaime heading to winterfall as the snow begins to drizzle down) I really don't care about any politics, I just want horror.

1 minute ago, TheCzarsHussar said:

How did it go down in the books?

It happened much earlier. Cersie was imprisoned by the Sparrows and Jaime was in the Riverlands, trying to end the war without any more bloodshed. She writes him a letter begging him to come home and save her. He chooses not to and continues his campaign.

After spending the entire 4th book building up to this moment, the payoff feels huge. It’s Jaime’s final paragraphs in the book:

Jaime read it in the window seat, bathed in the light of that cold white morning. Qyburn’s words were terse and to the point, Cersei’s fevered and fervent. Come at once, she said. Help me. Save me. I need you now as I have never needed you before. I love you. I love you. I love you. Come at once.

Vyman was hovering by the door, waiting, and Jaime sensed that Peck was watching too. “Does my lord wish to answer?” the maester asked, after a long silence.
A snowflake landed on the letter. As it melted, the ink began to blur. Jaime rolled the parchment up again, as tight as one hand would allow, and handed it to Peck. “No,” he said. “Put this in the fire.”

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, The Good Doctor said:

Tywin is super overrated. He was effective because he had money and people feared his reputation, but he sucked as a commander and there are multiple instances in the first few seasons where he would’ve been fucked if not for things happening that were completely outside his control.

Like, his raids on the Riverlands. If Robert hadn’t died -which Tywin had no knowledge or control over- Tywin would’ve had the entire realm coming down on him hard.

And he’d have lost the war if the stars hadn’t aligned against Stannis at the Blackwater. For that to end in the Lannisters’ favor, Robb Stark has to communicate his orders to Edmure poorly. Edmure had to act against Robb’s poorly-worded wishes. Tyrion had to discover Cersie’s wildfire and rally the troops to mount a successful counter-offense outside the walls, which nobody thought possible. Stannis has to assassinate Renly with shadow magic. And Littlefinger had to convince the Tyrells to change sides.

Tywin had control over none of that, but if any one of those things hadn’t happened, the most decisive battle of the war would’ve gone the other way. The Northmen would’ve gained hope instead of losing it, and Roose Bolton and Walter Frey probably wouldn’t have contacted Tywin to orestrate the Red Wedding, since he no longer would’ve been the obvious winning side. 

Not to mention Robb was kicking his ass in every major battle. 

Robert was also a weak king heavily in dept to him. I doubt Robert would have really messed with Tywin. Mostly I think Robert would have tried to get Ned to return Tyrion as he did earlier. 

The war was against him from the start. I wont say he didn't have luck but I doubt any military commander could have won without it. Even if he was a great military genius he had the North, Riverlands, Stormlands and the Reach against him. Literally surrounded by enemies. 

Tywin's smarts seems more to be with governing and preplanning. The War of the Five Kings was about as unplanned as it could get. But there's still no denying he was one of the best Hands of the King as he even made the Mad King jealous of his capability and was one of the very few capable of reigning in Joffrey. 

Edited by Witchking of Angmar

Power corrupts, absolute power... is a whole lot of fun!

4 hours ago, Witchking of Angmar said:

Robert was also a weak king heavily in dept to him. I doubt Robert would have really messed with Tywin. Mostly I think Robert would have tried to get Ned to return Tyrion as he did earlier. 

Robert was a crappy ruler but he wasn’t weak. The dude itched for another chance to fight. Being in Tywin’s debt is more reason, not less. And Ned’s notorious morals would’ve compelled him to make Tywin answer for committing attoricities on the neutral Riverlanders. At the very least, Tywin was playing with fire without any protection. If he was wrong, he would’ve died. It was a stupid move.

The war was against him from the start. I wont say he didn't have luck but I doubt any military commander could have won without it. Even if he was a great military genius he had the North, Riverlands, Stormlands and the Reach against him. Literally surrounded by enemies. 

There’s having luck and then there is the equivalent of lightning striking all of your enemies and leaving you as the victor. Tywin barely accomplished anything on his own during the war. He got outplayed by a teenage boy at every turn and then the stars aligned multiple times to hand him a decisive victory.

But there's still no denying he was one of the best Hands of the King as he even made the Mad King jealous of his capability and was one of the very few capable of reigning in Joffrey. 

I’d agree that he was better at governing. But I wouldn’t say he was any more-so than Ned. Both of them ran things well. Both of them got played by Littlefinger and Varys. Tywin only survived King’s Landing because they had an interest in him not dying quite yet. It was the same for Ned, but Joffrey turned out to be a moronic psychopath.