Roleplayer’s Off Topic Thread #10

Stop right there, criminal scum!  

6 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you want to watch clean up the streets in the name of the law?

• Endar and Yornar
    • Baldur and Rebec
    • Ubbe and Trevis
    • Sybille and Morane

58 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

Though she was a princess as well. And when it was time for her to get involved with combat or the military, she usually dressed appropriately.

Including in this movie when she leaves the ship, the one of two only times she leaves the ship in fact. When she meets solo, and it's very practical attire.

"Even the hardest dick must go flaccid." -Colonelkillabee

Something we never talked about... they made such a big deal about shields with the alliance ships... where the fuck were the shields on the Dreadnought....???

Po started tapping that things ass and ships are supposed to have shields to prevent from something like that happening no??

Rofl, they are a bitch. 

But for me, the black knight sword made them cheese because of the weapon art. Started farming them for easy ember like Doc said he did, plus the armor pieces (for no reason since I think it's ugly after finally getting it).

Just now, ColonelKillaBee said:

Rofl, they are a bitch. 

But for me, the black knight sword made them cheese because of the weapon art. Started farming them for easy ember like Doc said he did, plus the armor pieces (for no reason since I think it's ugly after finally getting it).

I can easily dodge nearly all their moves, its the goddamn five or six hit combo that gets me. You cant block it nor roll it nor interupt it. Great enemy design From.

Greatsword weapon arts are good against them?

1 hour ago, TheCzarsHussar said:

I can easily dodge nearly all their moves, its the goddamn five or six hit combo that gets me. You cant block it nor roll it nor interupt it. Great enemy design From.

Greatsword weapon arts are good against them?

The Black Knight sword's is. Not the greatsword, just the regular sword. 

If you can't stop it, and you can't go under it, nor interrupt it... then go THROUGH that bitch. That's what the BKS lets you do. Activate poise to WIN. 

That's how I beat the DLC's final boss too.

18 minutes ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

Something we never talked about... they made such a big deal about shields with the alliance ships... where the fuck were the shields on the Dreadnought....???

Po started tapping that things ass and ships are supposed to have shields to prevent from something like that happening no??

Not against small craft. I think those can slip in beneath the shields and do damage that the capital ships can’t from range 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

Man their shields suck complete dick if that's the case. 

It’s space opera for a reason. It’s not really interested in the hard sci-fi of establishing why things are, and I think the science stuff is always much more in service of narrative than maintaining like, a realistic set of standards. 

It's important to maintain a certain amount of suspense of disbelief even for space opera. Even if what you said is the case, it's not at all explained and leaves people scratching their heads, having to guess this is how this works. 

I guess it's also the same reason just about every commander gets the idiot ball. The Stardestroyers do nothing in the opening battle. No fighters out until it's pretty much too late. They choose to target the base that can't run away first instead of the ship that can. And they actually decide to humor Poe even when they know his ship is in attack mode and obviously stalling for time. 

Not to mention they broke space combat by allowing light speed ramming. 

Power corrupts, absolute power... is a whole lot of fun!

10 hours ago, Witchking of Angmar said:

I guess it's also the same reason just about every commander gets the idiot ball. The Stardestroyers do nothing in the opening battle. No fighters out until it's pretty much too late. They choose to target the base that can't run away first instead of the ship that can. And they actually decide to humor Poe even when they know his ship is in attack mode and obviously stalling for time. 

I don't think this is because the commanders were given the idiot ball. I think it's because General Hux's character is legitimately just an idiot. He basically was born into power and wealth in the Empire and was raised by people who did not really respect him. He's a petty and weak-willed moron with anger issues by design. Basically a Viserys Targaryen type of character, not meant to be a competent leader.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

Man their shields suck complete dick if that's the case. 

I'd say it's their surface cannons that really suck. Big cruisers in Star Wars have always been vulnerable to small craft that can slip in close, but usually they have a gazillion cannons ready to shoot them down the moment they're in range. Poe probably should've been toast, but the movies do make a point to say he's the best pilot in the Resistance so I guess he's actually just that good. Makes me wonder how far he'd have gotten on the Death Star trench run.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Good Doctor said:

I don't think this is because the commanders were given the idiot ball. I think it's because General Hux's character is legitimately just an idiot. He basically was born into power and wealth in the Empire and was raised by people who did not really respect him. He's a petty and weak-willed moron with anger issues by design. Basically a Viserys Targaryen type of character, not meant to be a competent leader.

Which makes me question why Snope would let him command. He said something about it before to Kylo Ren, cant remember what but he found him useful.

Wish Kylo just killed him instead of bitch smacking him before he went after Luke.

• Like 1

Anyway I do still like the movie, my focus is always on the Jedi stuff and I can defend that easily. The rest of the movie though was pretty meh, not as fun to watch as the first one was, except when Kylo and his future baby mama were woopin ass and when Chewy came in and started wrecking shit with Rey gunning.

And I still love Luke's intro, I couldn't see him coming in and cutting down Kylo Ren anyway. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

Though he was never really shown to be that in Force Awakens. He was a little eccentric during his speech, but nothing to indicate such incompetence. I also don't think anyone is born into the role of a general. I can buy you being born into an officer class as the Stormtroopers are little more than fleshy droids. But I can't see any officer rising to general without a certain degree of competence. 

2 minutes ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

Which makes me question why Snope would let him command. He said something about it before to Kylo Ren, cant remember what but he found him useful.

Wish Kylo just killed him instead of bitch smacking him before he went after Luke.

Because Hux's family practically built the First Order. They bring all the money and the resources, so they hold positions of power. Snoke said that Hux was a rabid cur, but his weakness could be a useful tool. I took that as "he's an impulsive and angry rich guy who is easy to manipulate".

I didn't really get the sense that the Supreme Leader cared much about secular affairs anyway. He seemed much more interested in the Force/Jedi stuff. Kinda like Darth Vader, who claimed that the Death Star was insignificant next to the Force.

• Like 1

Just now, Witchking of Angmar said:

Though he was never really shown to be that in Force Awakens. He was a little eccentric during his speech, but nothing to indicate such incompetence. I also don't think anyone is born into the role of a general. I can buy you being born into an officer class as the Stormtroopers are little more than fleshy droids. But I can't see any officer rising to general without a certain degree of competence. 

It is apparently elaborated more on in the extended universe stuff. Books and whatnot. He of course wasn't born as a general, but he was born with a lot of power and raised to one day become a prominent figure. There have certainly been enough crappy generals in real life history for me to buy this.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

Because Hux's family practically built the First Order. They bring all the money and the resources, so they hold positions of power. Snoke said that Hux was a rabid cur, but his weakness could be a useful tool. I took that as "he's an impulsive and angry rich guy who is easy to manipulate".

I didn't really get the sense that the Supreme Leader cared much about secular affairs anyway. He seemed much more interested in the Force/Jedi stuff. Kinda like Darth Vader, who claimed that the Death Star was insignificant next to the Force.

I think that makes him an ineffective leader. Course I guess that's hard to argue when he's already nearly conquered the galaxy, but then you can also chuck that up to Hux's family with their money and resources for all their incredibly advanced weaponry. Not necessarily leadership skills.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

It is apparently elaborated more on in the extended universe stuff. Books and whatnot. He of course wasn't born as a general, but he was born with a lot of power and raised to one day become a prominent figure. There have certainly been enough crappy generals in real life history for me to buy this.

fair point

Just now, The Good Doctor said:

But it's never mentioned in any of the movies. It is still also a rather major shift from his appearance in Force Awakens. Truth be told, the way Last Jedi overturns so much from Force Awakens it breaks continuity so much it's hard to determine what can be considered canon. I mean Hux might collected and competent in the third movie just because the director says so. Which if I remember correct will be the director of Force Awakens. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

I think that makes him an ineffective leader. Course I guess that's hard to argue when he's already nearly conquered the galaxy, but then you can also chuck that up to Hux's family with their money and resources for all their incredibly advanced weaponry. Not necessarily leadership skills.

I've never really seen any suggestion that Snoke even was a particularly effective leader. He seemed more like the Star Wars equivalent to a living god. Basically, he has his leadership and governors and whatnot actually managing things, while he focuses more on the "spiritual", expanding the influence of the Dark Side by hunting Luke, corrupting Rey and Kylo, etc. He had a much more metaphysical goal than simply ruling the galaxy.

7 minutes ago, Witchking of Angmar said:

But it's never mentioned in any of the movies. It is still also a rather major shift from his appearance in Force Awakens. Truth be told, the way Last Jedi overturns so much from Force Awakens it breaks continuity so much it's hard to determine what can be considered canon. I mean Hux might collected and competent in the third movie just because the director says so. Which if I remember correct will be the director of Force Awakens. 

To be honest, I never got the impression that he was all cool and collected even in the first movie. He still seemed petty and vindictive based on his relationship with Kylo. It's just that back then, he was in a much more secure position, whereas he opens up in The Last Jedi as a total failure and embarrassment after losing the Starkiller base. So we're seeing him now in a much more shaken up state.

• Like 2